Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone Town Centre - one year on

Options
  • 15-07-2008 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

....well, eight months on actually, but I could'nt wait until next November. The dust has long settled on the opening hype, and from sources and calling in, comparing it to Shop Street in Galway and Grafton Street in Dublin it is very quiet. What does the future hold for the shops in it?

If Zavvi closes down it's the end of this town for me.....

Comments

Well Easons have closed their Golden Island branch, so they have faith in the centre.
    I believe that the centre was intended as a "magnet" to draw shoppers into the town, thus improving the trade for nearby shops.

Whether that is happening or not, I don't know - the "recession" doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I was heading down towards Golden Island today in the middle of the afternoon, and town was packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

That's the problem with town it's always packed in the middle of the day... There just isn't enough parking space in it.. I don't personally really like the town centre...

Now that eason's has moved from the golden island more people will end up going there caus the golden island now has no book shop in it!! I worked for a company that fitted a shop in the town centre recently and to be honest from what I saw almost everything in the shopping centre is expensive! I mean I saw in one shop 1 single pair of socks selling for €15!!!! Madness Wouldn't make any difference to me if zavii closed down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

We live in Mullingar and the missus has been there twice, once when it opened and the second with a friend. There isn't much on offer in AthlONE and the missus would prefer to drive to Liffey Valley or Dundrum to do her shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

Well Easons have closed their Golden Island branch

Lifestyle Sports are taking their place, returning to Athlone after about 10 years when they were in the old Athlone shopping centre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I didn't realise the new Athlone Town centre had so many shops. Will a town of Athlone's size be able to support Golden Island and this centre through the emerging recession?

I hear McDonalds has closed in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I didn't realise the new Athlone Town centre had so many shops. Will a town of Athlone's size be able to support Golden Island and this centre through the emerging recession?

I hear McDonalds has closed in Athlone.

As far as I know its the Golden Island/Belhaven McD's thats shutting shop. The one at Kilmartins is staying open.

No hard, the one in town was a manky hole of a place

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wetminger

I quite like the centre and hope it does well. If retailers do well in Athlone thery are likely to open more shops in other Midland towns which gives us all more choice locally. I suspect ATC will suffer from now having a supermarket or significant anchor however.

Its also around a year since M&S opened in Mullingar. How is that doing does anyone know? The Fairgreen centre is getting new shops bit by bit and has an application for a large extension.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Best part of the new shopping center...
    No stinking McDonalds, Supermacs, Burger King or the likes!

Being that the liffey valley is going to be about an hour and a bit away with the new motorway, athlone might suffer a bit. But its still not a bad shopping center.

But its really just, clothes clothes clothes and then a few typical shops inbeteen. Pharmacy, coffee shop, easons, jewelers, and then clothes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Best part of the new shopping center...
    No stinking McDonalds, Supermacs, Burger King or the likes!

Being that the liffey valley is going to be about an hour and a bit away with the new motorway, athlone might suffer a bit. But its still not a bad shopping center.

But its really just, clothes clothes clothes and then a few typical shops inbeteen. Pharmacy, coffee shop, easons, jewelers, and then clothes again.
    Dont forget Zavvi, the best shop in the shopping centre imo, some brilliant deals in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

Athlone town centre failing to capture new customers.

Athlone Town Centre is among the new shopping centres failing to capture new customers.

According to the 3rd Retail Excellence Ireland Annual Shopping Centre Productivity Review, the Westmeath shopping centre is slow in becoming established.

According to the latest review the new shopping centre in the heart of Athlone is failing to attract new customers and is falling behind others in becoming established.

The study rates Athlone Town Centre 22nd as the most productive shopping centre location in the country.

CEO of the Clare based group, David Fitzwilliam, says in light of the findings, tenants have become disastisfied with paying premium rents for an unacceptable trade performance.

He says tenants cannont be expected to wait around forever paying excessive rent premiums while landlords scratch their heads.

One of his recommendations is for the rents to be modified to take account of substandard trading performances.

Meanwhile, Dundrum Town Centre topped the list again as the best option for retail tenants.

From their news page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

well what would you expect...and id say its gonna get worse now that around that area is now a one way street!! "well done council men of athlone, that was bright"

Sheraton not doing great business either from what I'm told

Danny_B wrote: »
    well what would you expect...and id say its gonna get worse now that around that area is now a one way street!! "well done council men of athlone, that was bright"

I havent been in town since the new traffic arrangements came in but am I correct in saying that Church Street is now totally a 1 way street, so theres no left turn at the top of Northgate Street. And if coming from Garden Vale direction into town you can now take a right turn at Careys and along Maradyke St to join into Church Street?

And all the taxis will have to face the other way so the start of the rank will be right outside The Prince/Karma

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    I havent been in town since the new traffic arrangements came in but am I correct in saying that Church Street is now totally a 1 way street, so theres no left turn at the top of Northgate Street. And if coming from Garden Vale direction into town you can now take a right turn at Careys and along Maradyke St to join into Church Street?

And all the taxis will have to face the other way so the start of the rank will be right outside The Prince/Karma

That's correct. New big loading bays now painted onto the road outside BOI, Genoa and a couple of other spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

you would be correct in saying that!! spot on.

Advertisement