Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolcats and other pictures in feedback

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I disagree. There is a lolcat for all occasions without fail. This thread is crying out for an "internet is serious business" image and I wonder who will give in.
    Ruu wrote: »
    On topic, good first post. I don't like lolcats and have no interest in them and it puts me off reading threads with them in it.

I knew I should've voted for Terry :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

DeVore wrote: »
    Randy, I had to steal that line, thanks!

DeV.
    DeV-cat iz welcome! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Feedback Threads are special, in that each receives as much seriousness, and as much stupidity, as the situation merits. Not everyone agrees on whats serious and whats silly, but each side is free to make their argument here. unless youre banned for being a tard. gotta watch out for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

FYI, in your profile options you can choose not to display pictures on threads.

Just go to Edit Options > Thread Display Options and uncheck 'Show Images'.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

deise59 wrote: »
    Then may I ask why posters with grievances are encouraged to post here and not the help desk in the first place?

To make fun of them? Seriously though any serious grievance where you are bringing it to an admins attention should posted in Helpdesk. You get short curt responses.

The only downside is the moderator in question can't respond on that thread, but then you tend to get a "omg what did he say about me" post in the moderators forum, so no biggie.

People who have a beef who post in Feedback tend to do so thinking the people will rally behind them even when mods or admins don't see sense.

• Advertisement

Just to add to that, anyone with even a basic concept of javascript can make a greasemonkey script that will switch off all images in feedback only. Will make one when I get bored.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hobbes wrote: »
    Just to add to that, anyone with even a basic concept of javascript can make a greasemonkey script that will switch off all images in feedback only. Will make one when I get bored.

La di da!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Honestly? Yes I am glad to see some serious discussion going on. That said, I'll be interested to read what kind of responses the thread gets when the place gets busy again. I'm sure there are people out there like me who feel the same about the situation so I'd like to hear them getting vocal about their opinions too.

From my point of view, I was referred to Feedback last week when I had an issue with moderating a forum (or lack thereof) . It was the first time I ever looked at/used Feedback. I found the whole process madness as people who had nothing to do with the matter were replying and the whole thing eventually descended into lolcat territory after the issue had been resolved. While the issue was resolved (a new mod was annointed), it left a bad feeling as it is a complete free for all which is not how any normal "feedback" area would work.

TBH it is all a bit cliquey (is that even a word) and juvenile. Someone posts a grievance and everyone jumps to the defense of the mods. Not how things should work. Feedback topics should be treated with respect and dealt with properly. Leave the pisstaking to the relevant forums. If someone is ranting and raving...let a mod of this forum tell them to desist or be banished.

I would love to know if any ban has ever been overturned as a result of a feedback thread? Has any mod ever been over-ruled? Surely odds are that a mod is wrong sometimes. Some mods are modding 6/7 forums. That is a lot of modding to do and they get everything right somehow apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ludo wrote: »
    From my point of view, I was referred to Feedback last week when I had an issue with moderating a forum (or lack thereof) . It was the first time I ever looked at/used Feedback. I found the whole process madness as people who had nothing to do with the matter were replying and the whole thing eventually descended into lolcat territory after the issue had been resolved. While the issue was resolved (a new mod was annointed), it left a bad feeling as it is a complete free for all which is not how any normal "feedback" area would work.

Brilliant, everyone was a winner so. Where's the problem?
    TBH it is all a bit cliquey (is that even a word) and juvenile. Someone posts a grievance and everyone jumps to the defense of the mods. Not how things should work. Feedback topics should be treated with respect and dealt with properly. Leave the pisstaking to the relevant forums. If someone is ranting and raving...let a mod of this forum tell them to desist or be banished.

Crap tbh. If a mod has done wrong the people will side with the person who has the grievence. There was a massive thread only yesterday where a mod was deemed to have been too heavy handed by a number of people, fellow mods included, when it came to the unmentionables.
    I would love to know if any ban has ever been overturned as a result of a feedback thread? Has any mod ever been over-ruled? Surely odds are that a mod is wrong sometimes. Some mods are modding 6/7 forums. That is a lot of modding to do and they get everything right somehow apparently.

Yep bans were rescinded only yesterday regarding that same thread about the unmentionables.

As was already said, if the OP has acted the tool or starts doing so then they get lynched, and rightly so. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

TBH it is all a bit cliquey (is that even a word) and juvenile. Someone posts a grievance and everyone jumps to the defense of the mods.

Post in help desk in future.
    I would love to know if any ban has ever been overturned as a result of a feedback thread? Has any mod ever been over-ruled?

Mods gone wrong are handled by the admins and normally raise to the attention of the admins long before someone whines in feedback.

Regards to who has the last say in a particular forum* it goes...
    Admin -> Mod -> CMod -> Single celled organism -> The unwashed masses of feedback.

* If you piss enough people off the CMod supercedes the Mod.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Brilliant, everyone was a winner so. Where's the problem?

The problem was that the thread descended into another argument between the original protagonists and bitching about the original argument when the topic had nothing to do with them.

The way I see it, there are serious forums and there are pisstaking humourous ones. Feedback should most definitely not be in the pisstaking category as it devalues the whole process.

Crap tbh. If a mod has done wrong the people will side with the person who has the grievence. There was a massive thread only yesterday where a mod was deemed to have been too heavy handed by a number of people, fellow mods included, when it came to the unmentionables.

Yep bans were rescinded only yesterday regarding that same thread about the unmentionables.

Well that is good to know. I must have a look for that thread and others like it as I didnt notice any.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Yes & yes. If a case is well-presented & has merit it will be dealt with by the powers that be in a pragmatic fashion. Without wanting to take this thread off topic - your thread was hijacked by the posters that wound you up in the original problematic thread. You also wouldn't accept some of the serious replies in your feedback thread.

Obstinacy tends to lead to a Feedback thread being screwed with as much as a "fight da powah" thread.

@ deise59 - Congratulations on a well-presented Feedback thread.

The problem was that the thread descended into another argument between the original protagonists and bitching about the original argument when the topic had nothing to do with them.

The way I see it, there are serious forums and there are pisstaking humourous ones. Feedback should most definitely not be in the pisstaking category as it devalues the whole process.

It only really becomes a pisstake if the OP steers it that way i.e. making ridiculous demands etc.

Well that is good to know. I must have a look for that thread and others like it as I didnt notice any.

That thread has unfortunately been deleted due to too many mentions of the unmentionables if you get me.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Without wanting to take this thread off topic - your thread was hijacked by the posters that wound you up in the original problematic thread. You also wouldn't accept some of the serious replies in your feedback thread.

Not sure where you get this from. I just read all my replies in that thread and didn't see where ya got that from at all as most of them were telling people to stay on topic. Anyway, as you say...OT.

Anyway, glad to hear some bans do get overturned as any feedback topic I have read (only in the last 2 weeks) has ended up with the OP getting shat on. I just wanted to check if this is always the way.
    That thread has unfortunately been deleted due to too many mentions of the unmentionables if you get me.

LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I'm in a rush so I've only had time to skim through most of the replies, but Im delighted to see 100% serious mature posts, so thanks for that :)

I don't think I'll bother with turning off images just for myself. As I've said, cat pics are not a strictly personal thing that just annoys me, there are others too. I'm just trying to look out for anyone that may have found them a bit excessive in the past. That said, thanks for the handy tip, I'm sure someone will find it useful.

I knew that I was never going to get anything actually changed, I just wanted to see where were people coming from in posting them. And if the vast majority of you feel that their use can be restrained until the right time and place, then I'll just have to trust your judgement.

Thats me out for a few weeks unfortunately. If you all want to continue having a serious discussion on the matter, all the better. If not, let the lulz ensue I guess

Thats me out for a few weeks unfortunately. If you all want to continue having a serious discussion on the matter, all the better. If not, let the lulz ensue I guess

Right he's gone. Quick, get the cats! :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bloody hell, 4 pages of a thread in feedback and no lolcats....I guess this topic is being taken seriously? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I feel honoured to get a mention in your post. :D

On a more seriouss note, I agree. It seems to be a phase - right now, they put LOLCats in any chance they get. Prior to that, it was only brought in when needed and a complaint was just off the rails with stupidity and bull**** of the highest order.

I think we need to re-visit the whole Feedback Vs. HelpDesk thing.

Its simple

Serious threads generally get serious feedback like this one.

Ban appeals when the user is in the wrong/trolls/rage posts etc get cat rape.

I wasn't a fan of the cats at all at first but they grew on me & I get a good laugh out of them whenever I see them in a relevant thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

DeVore wrote: »
    Serious threads get serious replies. Usually from me.

Less-then-serious threads are generally left to their own fate and threads where the OP is a raving nut, clearly bonkers, in the wrong and not going to accept it or just too stupid to be talked too, then I just avoid the thread and save myself the bother. :)

Randy, I had to steal that line, thanks!

DeV.

DeVore already answered this, don't think it can be answer further :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If you all want to continue having a serious discussion on the matter

Yeah we will, trust us. The internet being serious business and all. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Has anyone found an epic enough cat pic for this thread yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Rb wrote: »
    It's very, very simple really.

Those who appear and post "OMGZ I GOTS BANNED FCK YOU MOD UNBAN ME" will get abused and flooded with lolcats. Those who come with the obvious intention of a serious discussion get left alone.

It's all about peoples attitudes.

Agreed. You don't often see a flood of LoLcats in a thread that has any serious issue……you see them in the threads that never should have been started or when the issue itself has been resolved.

The problem with Feedback is not the lolcats, it’s the posters who go back and forth rather than waiting for the relevant person to show up and post their side of it.

There have been cases in Feedback where some people who were not even involved or affected by whatever is going on have been after something/someone like a dog with a ****ing bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Dragan wrote: »
    There have been cases in Feedback where some people who were not even involved or affected by whatever is going on have been after something/someone like a dog with a ****ing bone.

Yeah that surfing thread was a great laugh all right. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

With all this serious discussion I'm surprised Serious Cat hasn't made an appearance! :pac:

In the case of ridiculous threads (OMG MY BAN WAS SOOO UNFAIR JUST COZ I CALLED THE MOD A ****ING ****EATING W****R CUMFACE ******* SO I'M GONNA FITE DA POWAH....and so on) everyone pretty much agrees that the OP is an idiot. Of course we can't tell them they're an idiot because that, boys and girls, is "Personal Abuse" which the admin overlords frown upon. So the only appropriate way to respond is to use amusing felines with badly spelt slogans. It's just the way things work on teh internetz.

However in threads with serious grievances (like the Unmentionable thread, or the Parenting Forum threads) there is likely going to be some disagreement between users. With disagreement often comes conflict. With conflict often comes insults.
    And when insults have been traded, the thread somewhat loses it's credibility and the lolcats claw their way in.
    It's unfortunate, but if people can't discuss something in a reasonable manner and the thread descends into chaos, than lolcats are inevitable.

The thread mentioned by Ludo earlier was an example of Feedback gone wrong.

It's nice (and most unusual) to have a discussion on Feedback that doesn't spin wildly out of control. I wonder who dares put up the first cat pic though? Especially since snyper is banned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

In some ways the lolcats bring order to feedback in most circumstances. Where the OP is a blithering simpleton with a silly issue or unjustifed complaint the lolcats at least give the reader an idea of what the consensus is, i.e. a load of rubbish.

Serious threads are often devoid of lolcats, or have very few. They're a useful indicator of what the locals think, not just there to lighten the mood.

Although I do find them very funny when used properly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I couldnt be arsed reading this thread but theres a time and place for these pics and some people (usually the same trolls) are just a bit quick of the mark.

The thread yesterday or a couple of days ago about Victor banning someone generated a lot of discussion. I forget how many pages it ran to but again we had the same clowns throwing in the lolcats long long before Victor even had a chance to reply.

More bans would sort the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

muffler wrote: »
    I couldnt be arsed reading this thread but theres a time and place for these pics and some people (usually the same trolls) are just a bit quick of the mark.

The thread yesterday or a couple of days ago about Victor banning someone generated a lot of discussion. I forget how many pages it ran to but again we had the same clowns throwing in the lolcats long long before Victor even had a chance to reply.

More bans would sort the problem.
    Agreed.

It's good to keep a bit of humour, but don't wreck the place. We can't let too may cats in here or the place will get really messy, and nigs cleaning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cabaal wrote: »
    Bloody hell, 4 pages of a thread in feedback and no lolcats....I guess this topic is being taken seriously? :)
    ... occasionally, when a thread is getting more serious than it really merits, someone will post one in an effort to remind people to lighten up a bit. This last can work, but it can also go seriously pear-shaped, and should be attempted only with extreme caution.
    1454115116_a6d070e4aa.jpg?v=0
    Captionless, to make it pear-shaped, but lolcat free... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I CAN HAZ PAER!???

dont look at me like that, you were all thinking it.

DeV.

Advertisement