Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolcats and other pictures in feedback

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

nipplenuts wrote: »
    TBH, if you have nothing constructive to say then say nothing. Feedback is a System function and should be treated with a modicum of maturity. If a stupid thread is started a Mod or Admin should simply explain to the OP why it is wrong and close it. The cat pics (and their kin) smack of inadequacy to formulate a proper response.
    Oh come on now, if Feedback wasnt entertaining then nobody would come in here besides moderators and admins and thats what the Help Desk is for. We attract users here to provide our views and opinions when other posters have issues or dramatic episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

latchyco wrote: »
    I find the Lolcats do somtimes brighten up a dull thread .
    If ya cant beat em join em .

* runs off to buy a kitten from nearest pet shop *

Larger images are banned from sigs why are they permitted ad hoc on feedback threads?

Overheal wrote: »
    Oh come on now, if Feedback wasnt entertaining then nobody would come in here besides moderators and admins and thats what the Help Desk is for. We attract users here to provide our views and opinions when other posters have issues or dramatic episodes.

I agree with all of the above, particularly the emboldened, but feedback is not After Hours (though you wouldn't have thought that yesterday :)) and usually OPs have what they believe to be a serious issue. Pictures of animals are not opinions.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Larger images are banned from sigs why are they permitted ad hoc on feedback threads?

Boards.ie: The not so great Cat War, 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

First of all I have to say that I do enjoy the various pics and find them most amusing but only when a thread has run its course. By and large lolcat lovers had a bit of sense and timing but just like everything else we have the few clowns who derail thread after thread at times. There were quite a few genuine and serious threads where pics were posted when they shouldn't have been.

As an example we had a recent thread (although it has since been deleted) where a user was questioning his ban and with good justification too I may add. Before the mod concerned had been given the opportunity to respond the cat pics were thrown in and this wasn't done by noobs.

Thankfully this practice will come to end now with more moderation of feedback and if all goes well we will still have lolcats but only when they are merited.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

As muffler said. My take on it would be, time and place.
    When the thread has run it's course then the odd pic or two is grand. I always find them funny.
    They have no place in a serious discussion which is still in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Beruthiel wrote: »
    When the thread has run it's course then the odd pic or two is grand. I always find them funny.
    +1

Gordon wrote: »
    +1

Quality contribution :)

time and place.

Sure, After Hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Wow, I'm tired, just back home.

I've only had time to skim through most of the replies but I did notice Dev's question bout whether I consider the matter closed.

Before you do go and close it, could someone please explain me this. I think it's fair to say the general consensus is that Lolcats are ok when the matter has been resolved and some light-hearted humour is needed. If that is the case, why aren't the same rules applies to every other forum on boards?

It just seems a bit incoherent that I could be banned for lolcat posting in a regular forum, and then get away with it on a forum like feedback....

• Advertisement

deise59 wrote: »
    Before you do go and close it, could someone please explain me this. I think it's fair to say the general consensus is that Lolcats are ok when the matter has been resolved and some light-hearted humour is needed.
    That would be the case imo.

deise59 wrote: »
    If that is the case, why aren't the same rules applies to every other forum on boards?

It just seems a bit incoherent that I could be banned for lolcat posting in a regular forum, and then get away with it on a forum like feedback....
    Different forums - different rules.

If in doubt PM the forum mods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

You know they ban people for posting ****ty image macros and unfunny catch phrases on Something Awful. I'd like to see more of that here. The humor in these memes is long dead due to their over use.

Same with "+1".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ass Face wrote: »
    You know they ban people for posting ****ty image macros and unfunny catch phrases on Something Awful. I'd like to see more of that here. The humor in these memes is long dead due to their over use.

Same with "+1".

Is that why you came here?

I forsee your popularity on boards breaking all records....emot-munch.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

well said. They have a time and a place , but not before all points have been aired.

In other words....+1

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Same with "+1".

Yeah but nobody makes 10e when somebody re-regs on boards.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You know they ban people for posting ****ty image macros and unfunny catch phrases on Something Awful.

They also ban people with stupid nicknames.

Hobbes wrote: »
    They also ban people with stupid nicknames.
    Have you ever read FYAD? I think you'll find that you're greatly mistaken.

Have you ever read FYAD? I think you'll find that you're greatly mistaken.

Your equating feedback to a sub forum on SA that deals with flame wars and NSFW pictures?

Hobbes wrote: »
    Your equating feedback to a sub forum on SA that deals with flame wars and NSFW pictures?
    It's not far off, but no I wasn't. I was saying the attitude in general in moderating when it comes to stupid posts like "+1", the over use of shitty 4chan phrases and posts void of any content in general could be a bit stricter, similar to the lack of tolerance for shit posting they have on most of the boards on SA.

Especially on a feedback forum where serious issues raised by genuine posters are met by responses with a level of retardism that only exists in a very select few parts of the bowels of the internet.

Especially on a feedback forum where serious issues raised by genuine posters are met by responses with a level of retardism that only exists in a very select few parts of the bowels of the internet.

Calling most of the posters on feedback retards isn't going to endear you to others.

This is not something awful and if people want to be that strict about what gets posted as a reply they can use the helpdesk forum for everything except feature requests which can go into the feature requests forum (which is strict on cat pics).

btw, you do know there is an auto lolcat killer option for feedback forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055336724

• Advertisement

I'm, not calling the posters on feedback retards, I'm simply saying that a lot of the posts made on feedback are retarded posts.

I'm, not calling the posters on feedback retards, I'm simply saying that a lot of the posts made on feedback are retarded posts.
    Poor choice of words.

I think your posts now belong in the same group as those you refer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

muffler wrote: »
    Poor choice of words.

Don't really see how tbh. I thought it was pretty obvious myself that it he was in no way calling the poster themselves retards.

That kinda thing goes on all the time over on the soccer forum. There's a major difference between saying "your opinion is retarded" and "you are a retard"

Anyway, I don't want this topic to be dragged down in the gutters and eventually locked due to more off topic posting. It's been pretty successful so far so lets keep it that way.

I can understand that different mods mod forums in different ways, but I still think it's unbelievably inconsistent that I have to go to one of the more light-hearted forums to get banned for posting lolcats yet get away with it on what should be one of the more serious forums around here.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Sounds like a Victory for lolcats. Therefore, a victorious picture is needed:

1217608412294.jpg

Maximilian wrote: »
    Sounds like a Victory for lolcats. Therefore, a victorious picture is needed:

1217608412294.jpg
    That's longcat, not a lolcat. Seriously. This is what I'm talking about. Also, GB24chan and lurk moar or what ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

That's longcat, not a lolcat. Seriously. This is what I'm talking about. Also, GB24chan and lurk moar or what ever.

*smack*

you deserved it.

That was beautiful.

Ass Face if you're unhappy in Feedback you don't have to be here. You're young yet, why dont you go play outside in the Cuckoo Nest or something like all the other neighborhood noobies?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Overheal wrote: »
    That was beautiful.

Ass Face if you're unhappy in Feedback you don't have to be here. You're young yet, why dont you go play outside in the Cuckoo Nest or something like all the other neighborhood noobies neighbourhood nutbags?

Fixed that for ya :cool:

Advertisement