Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement front door

Options
  • 15-07-2008 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement front door. I went to install a deadlock on the door as we often leave the 3 point lock open and go upstairs/into the kitchen whereby anyone could sneak in through the open door without us knowing.

There were signs, both on the door itself and the frame, that there had been a lock there before and I was often puzzled as to why it had been removed. I thought that maybe the previous owners had locked themselves out once too often or something and had decided to remove it.

Anyway I soon discovered the truth. The gob****e had attempted to screw the lock onto the door without pre-drilling and ended up splitting a considerable piece off the door. Having done this he abandoned his quest and set about using some oval nails (splitting the timber again in the opposite direction), polyfilla and a second-rate paint job (which I was also about to sort if the weather changed) to cover up his mess.

So now, having scraped back the paintwork and filler, I'm left with a chunk of door in my hand which I very much doubt that, with the best will and wood glue in the world, can be convinced to go back where it came from and stay there (and anyway I'd still have no place to put my lock). Hence the quest to find a new door.

The frame is fine and a similar door would be easiest. It's one of those with three point locking on the side. Measurements are 778mm * 1995mm on the outside and it's 15mm extra on each side & top inside (overlaps the frame with a weather strip on it too).

I'm based in Kildare but work in the Clondalkin area so somewhere around these areas would be best.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

So does anyone have any idea where to get a door?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

ya go to one of the door and window manufactures up ur way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

I got one recently from Munster Joinery but that for ease of install as the original was a Munster Joinery.

I recall that there is a crowd called Doors and Floors somewhere around your area that might well supply the door and then I guess all you would have to do is arrange the hanging element

What sort of money was the Munster Joinery one?

TKK sorry but I have been off air for a while...

Plain door around 350 fitted. Note they did not bore the hole for the yale lock and this you have to do yourself

• Advertisement

Ah that's good to have as a reference. From further investigation I think it's one of their heritage doors. Unfortunately they're shut down for holidays at the moment but I'll be getting onto them when they're back.

I've no problem boring for the lock myself. I will be making sure to pre-drill for the screws to avoid a repeat of what happened to the previous owner.

TKK

If they are replacing a MJ door (as with ours) they took the old one away with them which might be handy for you. They are not great at coming back on the sales line so we eventually got onto the service side and they sent a guy out to do the measuring.

They then hung the door. It only came with a letter box (i.e. no other fittings). We had a lower handle lock which he removed from the old door and installed on the new one. No idea what the story behind not boring the yale lock is but there you go.....

Advertisement