Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCSA 2003 70-290 Help

Options
  • 15-07-2008 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi,

I am currently studying for 70-290. I bought the MSpress training kit and installed Windows Server 2003 on a old desktop. However I have been having problems following the exercises on the book.

For example, I connected my server to my home network (which consists of a Linksys router connecting to a modem and everything else connecting to the router), and then I try connecting my Win XP computer to the server, but it says the domain name cannot be found. I figure that is because my server is not registered on the DNS server that my win xp client is connecting. So I try to make my server a DNS server as well, but there are so many settings that it becomes very confusing. So, could anyone here gimme some pointers? I have no experiences with the NOS. How should I study for this exam? Thanks for the help in advance.

Jokkon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

not sure where to start

did you promote the 2k3 box to a domain controller?

er even before all this can you ping the 2k3 box from the xp machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jokkon

the xp machine can ping the 2003 sever and vice versa after i turned off their built in software firewall. i also promoted the server to a dc. Since everything is hiding behind the firewall, all ip addresses are private addresses, does this matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

have you setup DNS on the server? can you ping by name as well as IP?

you you install DNS you should be able to join PC to domain

also try to use mydomain.local something I find it wont join unless you use .local

let us know you you go

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP how about posting their ipconfigs and we can take a look so we can get a better idea of whats going wrong? I'm guessing the gateway/dns is pointing to the router when it should be pointing to the server but the configs will tell us whats wrong.
    If you have the server built thou i'd recommend making a virtual pc from it - most of the exercises in the books need 2 servers anyways. VMWare converter and player are freeware btw. Once you have the image rollback what you can - dns/ad etc so you have a base image if you need wreck things - i know i did when i started out!:rolleyes: Also in my mcse experience it's best to keep your test machines separate from your home pc in case you mess stuff up and need to get online etc and look for help!:D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jokkon

Hi,

Upon promoting my windows 2003 server to a DNS server, I set my xp computer's primary DNS server to 192.168.1.110 (my server's IP) and my secondary to a class B IP that is provided by my ISP (not sure if this is my router's IP address, I didn't even know my router acts as my DNS :P). Um, the problem is definitely the name resolution because pinging ip works but pinging the whole name doesn't. Thanks for all the advices and help. I will post the ipconfig once I got back from work. Thanks a bunch.

Jokkon

• Advertisement
Advertisement