Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear Suspension System needs to be fixed (failed NCT)

Options
  • 15-07-2008 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I just failed my NCT yesterday (as expected) - I drive a Fiat Punto 55s year 1997. I have got the following report:

- Nearside front Dip Beam not working
    - Rear Suspension System: wishbones, swinging arm-mounting worn (Nearside rear).

I am going to get a quote at the Fiat garage tomorrow - would you know by any chance based on your experience at what estimate price I am looking at? I am worried especially about the problem with the suspension system....

Thank you for the answers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did you try changing the bulb in the light (for the light issue?)

Not much pointin going to a Fiat garage with an 11 year old Punto, go to an independant for the suspension. Save yourself the bother of getting the higher quote in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The rear swinging arm bushings are a common problem on puntos and are a fairly quick and easy job to do, any independent mechanic will have done at least a few in the past. No need for a main dealer for this. €150 to €200 should see you right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

As far as I know the rear bushings cannot be replaced by themselves so the whole arm needs replacing. My brothers Punto failed on this. As advised don't bother with FIAT, it will cost twice as much.

I used Richard at Pembroke Motors Ballsbridge - 6685031

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You can get replacement bushings from aftermarket suppliers. They're a waste of time because by the time you add the labour costs for pressing out the old bushing and pressing in the new one, it's cheaper and easier to replace the arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Thank you very much guys!!! I will go to an independent garage….. I went to the Fiat Motorzone Garage and Limerick this morning to get a quote and they wouldn’t even want to look at my NCT report! The answer “You have to book in a check to get a quote….and you have to pay to have the car checked”…..unreal, all I wanted was a rough quote!

• Advertisement
Advertisement