Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The background "blur"

• 16-07-2008 12:27am
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Was playing GTA IV (360) on a 20" Inch SD and it looked ok.

However I recently bought a 32" Sony Bravia and all my other 360 games look fantastic.
    However I put on GTA and there seems to be a strange blur or "out-of-focus" effect in the background.

I did a quick google and some people are having this effect - apparently it's a designer ploy to save bandwith/textures ( or whatever) and to get the player to focus on the main action, whereas some people claim not to experience the effect at all.

What's the concensus here?
    Many people getting this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I've a 32 inch HD LCD. Yeah I have that effect too, I kind of like it! It looks good when you are driving at high speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Everyone has it, its used to hide the low detail textures and models that they use in the distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I noticed it more in San Andreas. Don't remember much of it in IV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭rizzla

I have it and I like it. Gives a sense of depth of field and speed when driving fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

This effect has been used in game design for years, I think it was even used in the original Metal Gear Solid on PS1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

the effect is used very commonly to save resources for stuff that's right in the players immediate field of view. i do think GTA4 has a weird way of doing it though. everything's way more saturated in the distance then you'd find in other games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I don't see a terrible amount wrong with mine, I own a 42" Full HD Panasonic Viera with a 60GB PS3. Would it have anything to do with me having Full HD?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

When you use the right analog to scroll around Niko the effect is nauseating.

Or is that just because you live in the 'Mushroom Kingdom'??? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of it either.

• Advertisement

Can somebody please show me what they mean, there's nothing wrong with mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I don't mind the background blur too much, the idea is good i think, makes it feel like a New york summer! With a constant haze!
    Iam assuming it'll come accross better on a HD TV when your using a HDMI cable or a component cable.

"Oasis or Blur??"

Threw on my SDTV with GTA IV. The same effect is there, when you use the right analog stick to rotate around your character the background goes into a blur.
    It's fine on the small telly but on my big one it makes my eyes weep.

Don't think I'll be able to finish GTA IV on my 32"

Answer the question!!

I'm not quite sure what you mean by Oasis or Blur.

I've been going through my library and testing any games where you can control the camera with right analog. Crackdown, GOW, they all seem fine.

I literally can't play GTAIV as it hurts my eyes.

jayteecork wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by Oasis or Blur.
    What!!?!?? You don't know what I mean!?!? O....M....G....
    You have to be taught young gawson!

What?! I can't even find the fùcking thing on YouTube! Unbelievable!

I think all I need to do is lay off using the camera control on right analog.

Yeah but that helps while driving as the camera is too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

I've definitely noticed the depth of field blur people are talking about. It's heavier than in most games, but then the game world is larger too. Not really sure what ye're talking about when moving the camera though.

• Advertisement

It's ok now.
    I think it was just a matter of my eyes adjusting to the 32" Hd screen as I was looking at a sub 20" CRT TV for ages before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Maybe your sitting too close?

I have to say I like the blur also, definitely adds to the gameplay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

Gta works grand on my small tv but i noticed the blur on my mates widescreen, it looks darker aswell and just sore on the eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

I would say they designed the game to be played on an LCD TV. I had to turn the brightness way up on my CRT TV, and the down when i switched to LCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jayteecork wrote: »
    apparently it's a designer ploy to save bandwith/textures ( or whatever) and to get the player to focus on the main action, whereas some people claim not to experience the effect at all.
    Remember: on a PC there would be a high/low graphics option. On a console, they must do with what they have, but still make it shiney.

I'm sure you'll agree that the background being a bit "blurry" is better than stuff "appearing" 5 meters away, like on the PS2 at times... but on the PC, you could see people 3 blocks away (no real limit on PC hardware).

Never saw it before, but it does seem a good idea, in a game with a limitless view, on a limited* machine.

*By limited, I mean you can't upgrade it with a newer graphics card to get more juice.

Advertisement