Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Animal Testing?

• 16-07-2008 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hey, just curious about something.

Last week I was passing by Trinity and I saw an animal rights group doing a demonstration. From what I could gather it was because Trinity use animals for tests in their labs. Now I've tried looking this info up on Google, as I've never heard about anything like this before, but I haven't had much luck. I was wondering if any of the students here know any more? I'm mostly curious what kind of animals are used and whether it really is "thousands" like the demonstrators claimed.

I know this might be a delicate topic for some, but I'm really not trying to start a debate here. I really don't have a strong opinion either way on the issue, I'm just looking for information because I haven't been able to find it anywhere else.

Thanks.

Comments

Fluffy bunnies and cute deer.

Millions of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Yeah, there are definitely some animals used for testing, but I don't think it's as many as thousands.

I'm pretty sure John2 used mice for some kind of brain experiment at some stage. I'm sure one of the "trinity knowledge experts" will pop in at some stage today and confirm exactly what the craic is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Lads every University in the country has a "BioResource Unit" or some other ambiguous name for what is an animal house.

Biological research into immunology, infectious disease, veterinary disease, vaccines, neurological disease, cancer etc. (unfortunately) requires the use of animals.

TCD (and the others) would mostly use mice, rats, guinea pigs and rabbits.
    Rabbits are mostly used for the generation of what are called monoclonal antibodies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Polarity wrote: »

Last week I was passing by Trinity and I saw an animal rights group doing a demonstration.

There were about 3 people when I passed by. 2 teenagers and an older lad who looked way out of place.

I'm not sure if I'd call it a protest either. I think you need at least 5 people for a protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

I saw them a few months back, took a leaflet and all:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

kearnsr wrote: »
    There were about 3 people when I passed by. 2 teenagers and an older lad who looked way out of place.

I'm not sure if I'd call it a protest either. I think you need at least 5 people for a protest.

You'd only need 3 for to cause a legal "riot"... So I'd guess 3 is enough for a protest too.

I see them often enough, sometimes outside the fur shop just opposite front gate.

Took some photos of them once (stopped by Gardai who happened to be there too) but otherwise very little contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 flying--fox

All pharmaceuticals need to be tested on animals before they're allowed in humans. Unfortunately there's no better way to test drugs and other biological activities than in animal models. As many tests as possible are done 'in vitro' (in test tubes etc) but some must be done on animals as we've no other way to predict the outcomes.
    Animal testing centres in universities and elsewhere all have extremely high levels of care for their animals. They all also attempt to Reduce amount of testing on animals, Replace animal testing with other tests if possible and Reuse animals if at all possible for further tests (the 3 R's).
    If you've ever used a drug prescribed from a doctor you've benefited from animal testing.

If you disapprove of animal testing maybe you should consider if farming animals for food is also ethically acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jimdw

Last week I was passing by Trinity and I saw an animal rights group doing a demonstration. From what I could gather it was because Trinity use animals for tests in their labs. Now I've tried looking this info up on Google, as I've never heard about anything like this before, but I haven't had much luck. I was wondering if any of the students here know any more? I'm mostly curious what kind of animals are used and whether it really is "thousands" like the demonstrators claimed.

I know this might be a delicate topic for some, but I'm really not trying to start a debate here. I really don't have a strong opinion either way on the issue, I'm just looking for information because I haven't been able to find it anywhere else.

Thanks.

They definitely kill rats, millions of them. I did rat dissection with the group in Trinity which was both terrible (because they killed mamals) and educational. I also complained about it to the tutor afterwards but looks like they didn't get the point cause this year the same class did that dissection again. So I guess some people are SB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭irishpacker

This is the only issue I can think of where I genuinely cannot tollerate, humor or even comprehend why someone would even think that animal testing is wrong. Animal testing is both ethically and scientifically just as it provides untold benefit to not only human beings but also all living things by allowing us to better understand ourselves and as consequence, better aid ourselves and improve the quality of life for billions of people.

Anyone who is against animal testing is simply wrong, they have no logical basis for their argument other than that killing a living creature is immoral, completely ignoring the fact that it is an absolutely crucial part of life. It is not like researchers kill animals or test on them "for a laugh", they take it very seriously and treat the animals with respect.

I must admit, there is a point in protesting animal cruelty, but animal testing and cruelty are two separate issues and must not be confused.

A researcher in scotland who tested on rabbits had his dead mother dug up and left on his front door step as a threat from animal protesters..... now you tell me who are the evil people in all this.

My opinion may be harsh, but it is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

there are plenty of research groups using animals in their experiments. this varies from people looking at bird behaviour in the wild through binoculars to cutting up mice embryos to to slicing rats brains.

by in large, the vast majority of academics and researchers agree that animal models are absolutely necessary for increasing our scientific knowledge and therefore improving our ability to cure/treat disease.

Unless there is a sudden improvement in technology I don't think the above sentiment will change regardless of how "enlightened" our society becomes and regardless of how much pressure animal rights orgs put on society.

However the bigger question is when are animal models appropriate? We would probably all agree that using rabbits to test a mascara for eye irritation is barbaric. But what about rabbits being used to test drugs to cure river blindess?

How about the argument that millions of animals are killed every day for food, millions of chickens, pigs, sheep, cows etc. are slaugtered in a process many feel leaves a lot to be desired so why shouldn't we use a much smaller sum for testing.

Experiments in which animals are used as models need to be scrutinised at the project proposal stage and each animal "sacrificed" needs to be accounted for fully and transparently.

Interestingly, in almost all universities invertebrate life such as a insects, octopus and worms there isn't such regimented legislation. Basically if it doesn't infer with ecology you can use billions of drosophila flies in your genetic experiments. Interestingly you never see the tree hugging, petrol bombing hippies complaining about this but instead if one chimpanzee is used...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Polarity

Okay, I'll bite.
    All pharmaceuticals need to be tested on animals before they're allowed in humans. Unfortunately there's no better way to test drugs and other biological activities than in animal models. As many tests as possible are done 'in vitro' (in test tubes etc) but some must be done on animals as we've no other way to predict the outcomes.

Actually this is false. If you do biology then you must be aware of how vastly different human anatomy is from that of other animals. Many chemicals which are fatal to us have no effect on non-humans, while many of our best medicines would kill a dog or rat.

Time and time again, products shown to be safe on non-humans have proved disastrous when applied to humans. As an example, in the early days of lung cancer research, a particular type of primate was exposed to massive amounts to tobacco smoke over a long period of time. None of them got lung cancer... and so for a long time it was believed that tobacco smoke did not cause lung cancer. How many thousands of people do you think died because of this one animal experiment?

There are numerous other examples of animal testing holding back medical progress, you can find them if you do a bit of research on it. Generally cell cultures and computer modeling are a more effective method of testing, but ultimately the only way to know for sure whether something is safe is to conduct clinical trials.
    Animal testing centres in universities and elsewhere all have extremely high levels of care for their animals. They all also attempt to Reduce amount of testing on animals, Replace animal testing with other tests if possible and Reuse animals if at all possible for further tests (the 3 R's).

You honestly believe they have high levels of care? They cut open live animals, pour chemicals on their skin and in their eyes, perform the most intrusive operations imaginable and ultimately kill them. Much of this with little or no anesthetic.. You honestly believe it's possible to carry out "humane" animal experiments?
    If you disapprove of animal testing maybe you should consider if farming animals for food is also ethically acceptable.

Of course it is not acceptable. How could you even attempt to argue that it is?

This is the only issue I can think of where I genuinely cannot tollerate, humor or even comprehend why someone would even think that animal testing is wrong. Animal testing is both ethically and scientifically just as it provides untold benefit to not only human beings but also all living things by allowing us to better understand ourselves and as consequence, better aid ourselves and improve the quality of life for billions of people.

Studying a rat will tell you about a rat. Studying a human will tell you about a human. This should be obvious really. I like how you gloss over the hundreds of thousands of people who have died as a result of animal testing when you say it will "improve quality of life for billions".
    Anyone who is against animal testing is simply wrong, they have no logical basis for their argument other than that killing a living creature is immoral, completely ignoring the fact that it is an absolutely crucial part of life.

It is? Huh, that's a new one to me. Do you believe that it is not immoral to kill a sentient living creature?
    It is not like researchers kill animals or test on them "for a laugh", they take it very seriously and treat the animals with respect.

Have you ever seen any of the undercover tapes from Huntingdon Life Sciences? Have you ever heard of Britches the monkey? I'm not sure if I'm allowed post links here because some people might find the videos distressing, but you can find them on youtube - Do a search for "Britches".
    I must admit, there is a point in protesting animal cruelty, but animal testing and cruelty are two separate issues and must not be confused.

Actually the two go hand in hand. You cannot convincingly argue that animal testing is not cruel. See: previously mentioned videos.

A researcher in scotland who tested on rabbits had his dead mother dug up and left on his front door step as a threat from animal protesters..... now you tell me who are the evil people in all this.

A drastic measure to be sure, but I would think the evil one would be the one who spent his entire life torturing and killing innocent creatures, no?
    My opinion may be harsh, but it is true.

That would depend on whom you ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

We would probably all agree that using rabbits to test a mascara for eye irritation is barbaric.

Eh, not so much. I don't really believe in 'animal rights' as a concept. We kill and eat animals to survive. We always have. We're (more or less) biologically dependent on their meat to live, in the same way that most carnivores or omnivores kill and eat eat other in order to survive. If it's OK to breed, raise, kill and eat a cow then I find it hard to draw a line at an arbitrary point down the line and say "This amount of disregard for their life and well-being is OK, but this amount is too cruel!" I think there's some value to be derived from not being unnecessarily cruel to them, e.g., kicking a puppy for sh*ts and giggles wouldn't sit well with me. But testing animals for life-saving drugs? Definitely OK. And testing animals for cosmetics? Eh, not a fantastic reflection on humanity, but no worse than, say, battery-farming chickens as a cheap food source.
    Polarity wrote:
    As an example, in the early days of lung cancer research, a particular type of primate was exposed to massive amounts to tobacco smoke over a long period of time. None of them got lung cancer... and so for a long time it was believed that tobacco smoke did not cause lung cancer. How many thousands of people do you think died because of this one animal experiment?

Poor logic. Number one, while I'm not a scientist (well, not a proper one) I'm pretty sure using only one experiment as a basis for your thinking is a poor application of the scientific method, i.e., you should do multiple tests for the harmful effects of something like tobacco smoke over a range of species. Secondly, you need to consider the converse; how many drugs have been tested on animals and found to have harmful effects there, and therefore not been tested in clinical trials and not released on humans, thus saving lives? Furthermore, how would not testing those drugs that you mention on animals have saved anyone? Current process: Going through animal testing, in vitro testing and clinical trials, sometimes things get released onto the market that have a harmful effect on the wider population (because clinical trials are far from perfect; harmful drugs can and have slipped through). How does removing one level of testing help with that problem? Animal testing as a substitute for the other two is bad, but not because of the ickle fuzzy wabbits, but because it's stupid, lazy and risks human lives.
    Polarity wrote:
    Do you believe that it is not immoral to kill a sentient living creature?

Ever swatted a fly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭rosiec

Jimdw wrote: »
    They definitely kill rats, millions of them. I did rat dissection with the group in Trinity which was both terrible (because they killed mamals) and educational. I also complained about it to the tutor afterwards but looks like they didn't get the point cause this year the same class did that dissection again. So I guess some people are SB.

TCD doesnt kill rats solely for dissection purposes. The rats you used were collected and frozen over a period of months. Most of them would have been old rats used as a breeding population that were put down when they lost they're ability to procreate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Polarity, all experimental data has its limitations and results should only be viewed in the context of those limitations. You are being disingenuous by suggesting that just because animal testing gives us an imperfect view (in some cases massively flawed view), that it is of no use. Theres a reasons that drugs and treatments go through human trials as well as animal testing. In fact you cite some difference between how dogs/monkeys respond to drugs as opposed to humans, this knowledge was only gained through animal testing.

Animal testing is cruel, its barbaric in every sense of the word, I'll even concede thats its immoral, since its mostly a case of the ends justifying the means. However there is also an inescapable practical necessity for it. Maybe it doesn't need to happen as much as it does or be conducted in the fashion it is, but it is needed.

You honestly believe they have high levels of care? They cut open live animals, pour chemicals on their skin and in their eyes, perform the most intrusive operations imaginable and ultimately kill them. Much of this with little or no anesthetic.. You honestly believe it's possible to carry out "humane" animal experiments?

I'm not denying that activities like that may go on but the OP started this post asking about colleges use of animals. Have you ever been inside the TCD animal house or any other animal house for that matter? The animals that are housed there have the highest quality standards. The people who work there are so strict about what happens to "their" animals. Anybody who works with animals has to pass and animal handeling course before they're allowed near the animals. Before ANY experiment with animals is carried out for the sake of college research it has to pass an ethics review. During that process, other mediums such as in vitro or cell cultures are looked at as alternatives to live animals. If animals have to be used then the species has to be decieded on. You always start with the lowest ranking animal, so flys, caterpillars, moving on up to mice, chicks, rabbits etc. Then they decided on the lowest possible number of animals that they have to use to get a useable result. Most people who work with animals will tell you its not ideal but it is NECCESSARY. Originally insulin used to treat diabetics came from studies carried out on pigs, so there is a relevencey to working with animals for medical benefits.

shay_562 wrote: »
    Eh, not so much. I don't really believe in 'animal rights' as a concept. We kill and eat animals to survive. We always have. We're (more or less) biologically dependent on their meat to live, in the same way that most carnivores or omnivores kill and eat eat other in order to survive.

Oh come ON. Animal testing is still a very heated debate, but the idea that we need to use animals for food was proved false decades ago. Every single nutrient the body uses, vitamins, minerals and all can be derived from plant sources. I'm vegan, and I'm also one of the healthiest people I know. Many of my friends are vegan, and they're nearly all in far better shape than my meat-eater friends.

If you ask any doctor, nutritionist, or even informed member of the public they will tell you that a completely vegan diet is as good as - and generally healthier than - a non-vegan diet.
    If it's OK to breed, raise, kill and eat a cow then I find it hard to draw a line at an arbitrary point down the line and say "This amount of disregard for their life and well-being is OK, but this amount is too cruel!" I think there's some value to be derived from not being unnecessarily cruel to them, e.g., kicking a puppy for sh*ts and giggles wouldn't sit well with me. But testing animals for life-saving drugs? Definitely OK. And testing animals for cosmetics? Eh, not a fantastic reflection on humanity, but no worse than, say, battery-farming chickens as a cheap food source.

You're completely right, and I agree with everything you have just said. Vivisection and animal farming are just as bad as each other. The problem is, many people still think killing animals for food is morally justified - it's not. It will never be okay to destroy everything an animal has, lock him up for life, treat him like an object and ultimately kill him to fulfill our most trivial pursuits. They did something similar with African slaves in the 18th century. Slavery was wrong then, and it's wrong today.

Poor logic. Number one, while I'm not a scientist (well, not a proper one) I'm pretty sure using only one experiment as a basis for your thinking is a poor application of the scientific method, i.e., you should do multiple tests for the harmful effects of something like tobacco smoke over a range of species. Secondly, you need to consider the converse; how many drugs have been tested on animals and found to have harmful effects there, and therefore not been tested in clinical trials and not released on humans, thus saving lives?

Penicillen. The first anti-biotic, the drug that revolutionised medicine and got us to where we are today, is fatal to a lot of animal species. When they tested it on animals, and it killed them, they shelved it because they figured it was fatal. It was only 15 years later that Arthur Flemming, being an incredibly stubborn man, decided it was worth a try on human subjects. We all know where that led.

That's the problem with animal testing; the species difference is so huge that drugs fatal to humans slip through, while potential life-savers are deemed unsafe. Regarding the experiment I mentioned, that was just one example. If you do the research you can find many similar cases where animal testing has cost thousands of lives. I'm hardly going to list them all out here, but Vioxx and Thalidomide are two of the major examples here.
    Furthermore, how would not testing those drugs that you mention on animals have saved anyone? Current process: Going through animal testing, in vitro testing and clinical trials, sometimes things get released onto the market that have a harmful effect on the wider population (because clinical trials are far from perfect; harmful drugs can and have slipped through). How does removing one level of testing help with that problem? Animal testing as a substitute for the other two is bad, but not because of the ickle fuzzy wabbits, but because it's stupid, lazy and risks human lives.

The previously mentioned life-saving drugs that failed when tested on animals. Vioxx and Thalidomide, which were shown to be safe on animals but killed hundreds, even thousands when applied to humans. But obviously it's not just a question of benefitting humans. Literally millions of sentient, feeling beings are tortured and killed every year in labs. That's the issue here, and it is only made worse by the fact that this barbaric torture also yields completely futile results.

Ever swatted a fly?

Not since I was a child. Although I regret it, I think I can be excused because as we all know children have no concept of morality.

Boston wrote: »
    Polarity, all experimental data has its limitations and results should only be viewed in the context of those limitations. You are being disingenuous by suggesting that just because animal testing gives us an imperfect view (in some cases massively flawed view), that it is of no use. Theres a reasons that drugs and treatments go through human trials as well as animal testing. In fact you cite some difference between how dogs/monkeys respond to drugs as opposed to humans, this knowledge was only gained through animal testing.

Animal testing is cruel, its barbaric in every sense of the word, I'll even concede thats its immoral, since its mostly a case of the ends justifying the means. However there is also an inescapable practical necessity for it. Maybe it doesn't need to happen as much as it does or be conducted in the fashion it is, but it is needed.

The true necessity of it is something that is being debated here. You concede yourself that is often gives a massively flawed view, and we all know how many billions of lives it has cost (human and non-human being counted).

I will even concede that in some cases animal testing can be useful. I don't think there was ever a case of a vital piece of knowledge that we simply could not obtain from any other source, but animal testing is certainly more convenient in many cases. And I won't deny that several advances have benefitted somewhat from animal testing. But Nazi experiments on concentration camp victims also furthered our medical knowledge vastly. In fact those experiments were even more informative than experiments on animals, because the Nazi doctors were able to use live human subjects.

Are you going to defend those experiments too? It's very easy to make medical breakthroughs when morality isn't a concern.
    Yes, I know I did just invoke Godwin's Law.. Bear with me. :p
    rosiec wrote: »
    I'm not denying that activities like that may go on but the OP started this post asking about colleges use of animals.

I know very well what the OP said; maybe you should scroll up. ;)
    Have you ever been inside the TCD animal house or any other animal house for that matter? The animals that are housed there have the highest quality standards. The people who work there are so strict about what happens to "their" animals. Anybody who works with animals has to pass and animal handeling course before they're allowed near the animals. Before ANY experiment with animals is carried out for the sake of college research it has to pass an ethics review. During that process, other mediums such as in vitro or cell cultures are looked at as alternatives to live animals. If animals have to be used then the species has to be decieded on. You always start with the lowest ranking animal, so flys, caterpillars, moving on up to mice, chicks, rabbits etc. Then they decided on the lowest possible number of animals that they have to use to get a useable result. Most people who work with animals will tell you its not ideal but it is NECCESSARY. Originally insulin used to treat diabetics came from studies carried out on pigs, so there is a relevencey to working with animals for medical benefits.

I have to admit, I have never been inside the TCD animal labs. For some reason they are extremely secretive, and I have never been allowed in. However I have a wide knowledge of vivisection and in my experience, no matter how well intentioned the researchers may be, it is never humane. Have you been in there? Have you seen the experiments? If so, try putting youself in the place of one of those animals. Would you really want to live like that? No matter how big the cage is or how often you get fed, would you really want that life?

You're right that insulin was derived from animal studies - that does not mean it couldn't have been acquired any other way. Every drug ever produced has been tested on animals, because of convenience, tradition and legal reasons than from any scientific merit.

I really don't have a strong opinion either way on the issue, .

Me thinks you were a wee bit untruthful with that statement given some of your more recent posts! ;)

Please, I don't down play the immorality of animal testing, likewise don't down play the huge benefits to human life which have result from it. Be honest and say "this is what we get and this is the cost and I think the cost is too high". Don't make out its an exercise in cruelty for the shake of cruelty and don't draw parallels with what the nazi's did.

As for why they are so secretive in trinity, are you really surprised. People involved in animal testing in trinity regularly receive death threats, as moronic as that sounds.

TCD animal house staff are also "secretive" because they're working with vulnerable animals. By that i mean animals that have been raised in protective enviroments, having very little exposure to anything outside a sterile lab. These animals are extremely sensetive to infection so is it any suprise that access is limited to people who are properly equiped?

• Advertisement

Me thinks you were a wee bit untruthful with that statement given some of your more recent posts! ;)

To be fair, when I made that post I really wasn't looking for a debate. I was hoping to get some info on the matter from Trinity students who might work in the labs, as the staff are very close-lipped. I didn't think I'd get very far if I admitted to being an animal rights activist!
    Please, I don't down play the immorality of animal testing, likewise don't down play the huge benefits to human life which have result from it. Be honest and say "this is what we get and this is the cost and I think the cost is too high".

Yes, people have benefitted from animal experiments. People also benefitted from the Nazi experiments. My point is that the ends didn't justify the means then, and they don't now - especially when so many effective alternatives exist.
    Don't make out its an exercise in cruelty for the shake of cruelty and don't draw parallels with what the nazi's did.

Why not? I'll admit, Nazi analogies are usually inflammatory and useless in a real debate, but in this case there really are strong parallels.
    TCD animal house staff are also "secretive" because they're working with vulnerable animals. By that i mean animals that have been raised in protective enviroments, having very little exposure to anything outside a sterile lab. These animals are extremely sensetive to infection so is it any suprise that access is limited to people who are properly equiped?

Heh, vivisectors always say that. Those animals aren't nearly as vulnerable to the outside world as you think, as is shown by the thousands rescued in ALF raids over the years that are now living happily in open environments.

Heh, vivisectors always say that. Those animals aren't nearly as vulnerable to the outside world as you think, as is shown by the thousands rescued in ALF raids over the years that are now living happily in open environments.

In some cases that may be true. I'll not argue with you. But from having worked with people who use mice and chicks, i can definately say that some animals are not suitable for outside exposure. If you use mice in an experiment then you usually use a specific strain or in other words mice that have a specific gene that they carry. So the mice used are pretty much clones of each other. They're all highly related (not always that case but usually if you're working on genetics etc). So given the high relatedness EVERY mouse is vulnerable to infection if one animal gets sick. If that happens then the whole experiment goes to pot, so thats one reason why access is restricted in animal houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Polarity wrote:
    Oh come ON. Animal testing is still a very heated debate, but the idea that we need to use animals for food was proved false decades ago. Every single nutrient the body uses, vitamins, minerals and all can be derived from plant sources. I'm vegan, and I'm also one of the healthiest people I know. Many of my friends are vegan, and they're nearly all in far better shape than my meat-eater friends.

I'm guessing you're slightly more informed about this than me and thus will probably hand me my ass on this point, but nevertheless: don't you need to take a decent amount of vitamin and mineral supplements to compensate for taking meat out of your diet completely? Stuff like vitamin B12 to avoid anemia, or iron supplements (though in the case of the latter I think there's some kind of beans that fulfill our iron needs relatively well). Which suggests to me that while we can survive without meat, we're not exactly designed to, which makes me question the idea that there's some kind of moral reason not to eat other animals to survive. Do you think it's "wrong" for a fox to eat a chicken? If you do...well, then I'm just going to give up right now. But presumably you don't, due to the fact that animals are inherently less than human; they're not capable of rational thought at the same level, or of moral or philosophical reasoning at the same advanced level. But in conceding that animals are less-than-human in terms of their sentience, surely we're acknowledging that, on some level, they're beneath us, and once you've acknowledged that, you really have to ask yourself why it's not OK to use them for our advantage.

Incidentally, pointing out that you and other vegans you know are the healthiest people you know does little when the healthiest people I know are meat-eaters, and the vegetarians tend by and large to be thinner and less energetic. "Well, my friends are X, ergo everyone is the same" doesn't really sway my (or most people's) views.
    Polarity wrote:
    Penicillen. The first anti-biotic, the drug that revolutionised medicine and got us to where we are today, is fatal to a lot of animal species. When they tested it on animals, and it killed them, they shelved it because they figured it was fatal. It was only 15 years later that Arthur Flemming, being an incredibly stubborn man, decided it was worth a try on human subjects. We all know where that led.

To my slow and painful death, as it happens, being one of a significant number of people who are allergic to penicillin. Which is, again, why broad tests are better - if Fleming had taken a small sample of humans to test penicillin on and gotten unlucky in terms of how many people among that group were allergic to it, it would have been shelved in the same way that it was due to failed animal tests. Which all supports my central point in relation to testing - more is better, whether on humans, animals or in a test tube.
    Polarity wrote:
    But obviously it's not just a question of benefitting humans.

I respectfully disagree. Ecological concerns aside, I'd sacrifice every single rat, mouse, gerbil, rabbit, hamster and whatever else you want to throw in there to save a few hundred human lives.
    Polarity wrote:
    Not since I was a child. Although I regret it, I think I can be excused because as we all know children have no concept of morality.

:) Touché. So let's get into some deeper semantics - ever washed? That's a couple of billion sentient bacteria gone. Walked through grass or any kind of woodland area? Care to take a guess at how many poor, innocent ants you may have inadvertently stepped upon? Picked a flower or used a product made from wood? Trees and plant life respond to their surroundings and it can be demonstrated that while they don't feel "pain" as such, they do react to negative stimuli. What differentiates their level of sentience from a fly? And the fly from the rabbit? And the rabbit from the monkey? My point is that you have to draw the line somewhere - presumably you draw it somewhere around the bacteria line? I draw it between "humans" and "the rest".

Yes, people have benefitted from animal experiments. People also benefitted from the Nazi experiments. My point is that the ends didn't justify the means then, and they don't now - especially when so many effective alternatives exist.

Where ever possible alternatives are used in trinity. Simple fact is, animal testing isn't cheap in a country like Ireland where it is tightly controlled. Do you really think they don't use alternatives when ever possible here?

You believe the ends don't justify the means, and thats why its immoral, for you. Everyone has their own morality. Some would view it as immoral to allow personal beliefs to stand in the way of saving a human life. If it mean taking away every medical advantancment which was only ever possible by the use of animal testing (and you can't deny theres plenty of examples), would you do it? Would you let humans die to save the life's of animals?
    Why not? I'll admit, Nazi analogies are usually inflammatory and useless in a real debate, but in this case there really are strong parallels.

Only if you either degrade the value of a human life to that of an animal, or promote an animal's life to the level of a humans. Yes there are parallels, but theres also a million ways in which its a completely different situation.

shay wrote: »
    If it's OK to breed, raise, kill and eat a cow then I find it hard to draw a line at an arbitrary point down the line and say "This amount of disregard for their life and well-being is OK, but this amount is too cruel!"

You obviously don't understand a very important point. That is the manner and circumstances in which the animal is slaughtered. it is important to kill the animal as humanely as possible, this means to cause as little suffering as practically possible.

In an abattoir the animal to be slaughtered is left in a comfortable pen until time for slaughter. Then the animal is knocked unconscious by a bolt through the brain, hung by its foot and then its throat is cut.

What's important here is the animal isn't left in conditions of undue stress i.e. in a cold room or near other animals that may disturb it. The animal is made unconscious as quickly and as efficiently as possible and thus feels no pain during the rest of the procedure. This in my opinion isn't cruel.

What is cruel is to take a scared and traumatised animal and cause it pain and suffering (putting irritiant in its eyes) for little or no scientific benefit. That's cruel. I don't see this an arbitrary drawing of a line.

What is cruel is to take a scared and traumatised animal and cause it pain and suffering (putting irritiant in its eyes) for little or no scientific benefit. That's cruel. I don't see this an arbitrary drawing of a line.

The people aren't doing it for ****s and giggles, they are getting some benefit from it. While it would be great if each time an animal was killed, a cure for cancer or whatnot was discovered, thats not going to happen.

I'm guessing you're slightly more informed about this than me and thus will probably hand me my ass on this point, but nevertheless: don't you need to take a decent amount of vitamin and mineral supplements to compensate for taking meat out of your diet completely? Stuff like vitamin B12 to avoid anemia, or iron supplements (though in the case of the latter I think there's some kind of beans that fulfill our iron needs relatively well).

Iron is actually very easy to get from plants (though yes, meat is a convenient source too). Quoting Wikipedia: Good sources of dietary iron include red meat, fish, poultry, lentils, beans, leaf vegetables, tofu, chickpeas, black-eyed peas, fortified bread and breakfast cereals.

As for B12, you're right that it is more difficult to get it from pants (except, perhaps, mushrooms). However, a large amount of foods are fortified with B12, including most breakfast cereals, soy milk, and a lot of other vegan foods. No, not B12 obtained from animals.

Even for someone who didn't eat any of these foods (unlikely) they could take a weekly B12 supplement fairly easily.

Which suggests to me that while we can survive without meat, we're not exactly designed to, which makes me question the idea that there's some kind of moral reason not to eat other animals to survive.

Umm, what do you mean designed? You seem to be saying that that Darwin chap had it all wrong and that all life on Earth didn't evolve from a common ancestor through natural selection. I won't get into an Evolution versus Intelligent Design debate here though, that really belongs on the Athiest forum.

Do you think it's "wrong" for a fox to eat a chicken? If you do...well, then I'm just going to give up right now. But presumably you don't, due to the fact that animals are inherently less than human; they're not capable of rational thought at the same level, or of moral or philosophical reasoning at the same advanced level. But in conceding that animals are less-than-human in terms of their sentience, surely we're acknowledging that, on some level, they're beneath us, and once you've acknowledged that, you really have to ask yourself why it's not OK to use them for our advantage.

A fair point, and one that I have heard many times. One difference between us and foxes is that whereas a fox genuinely needs to kill to survive, humans have no such need. Another is, like you said, rational thought and morality.

I think we can all agree that humans are more intelligent than other animals, and we have a far more developed language which gives us the means for abstract thought. I'm not sure I'd use the phrase "less than human"; they're not human, no.. they're very different. The main difference you seem to be talking about is our much higher intelligence. However intelligence is a poor measure of worth. You cannot draw a line at a certain level of intelligence and say "above this line you have rights, below it you do not and your interests cannot be considered". This is because even among humans, a large amount of the population is less intelligent than, say, a dog or an ape. Young children for a start, as well as many mentally-handicapped people and even the old and extremely senile.

Therefore if you say humans are entitled to certain rights because of their intelligence, you have to exclude those who are below this level of intelligence. Any line you draw will be arbitrary, as will simply saying "humans are better".

To quote Jeremy Bentham - "The question is not "can they talk", nor is it "can they reason". The question is, "can they suffer?" "

Drawing the line at the ability to suffer is the only real approach that makes sense. Obviously suffering is universally unpleasant, and any animal that is suffering will want to avoid that suffering. Just like any human - mentally handicapped or otherwise - will want to avoid suffering. One would say they have an interest in avoiding suffering, and an interest in experiencing joy. Who are we to deny those interests?
    Incidentally, pointing out that you and other vegans you know are the healthiest people you know does little when the healthiest people I know are meat-eaters, and the vegetarians tend by and large to be thinner and less energetic. "Well, my friends are X, ergo everyone is the same" doesn't really sway my (or most people's) views.

You're right, anecdotal evidence is poor evidence. Maybe you should ask a doctor or nutritionist like I said in my previous post instead.
    I respectfully disagree. Ecological concerns aside, I'd sacrifice every single rat, mouse, gerbil, rabbit, hamster and whatever else you want to throw in there to save a few hundred human lives.

That's the kind of thinking I find morally abhorrent. You seem to be saying a human life is infinitely more valuable than a non-human life, but you provide no evidence to back this up beyond our higher intelligence (see above). Would you also sacrifice a mentally-retarded person to save a normal person? Would you sacrifice someone with an IQ of 100 for someone with an IQ of 140?

I'm willing to bet no, but why not? I would say it's because they can both suffer and experience joy equally. But from your post you seem to have this idea that human life is "sacred" while non-human life is not - my question, again, is why? Why should all sentient life not be "sacred"?
    :) Touché. So let's get into some deeper semantics - ever washed? That's a couple of billion sentient bacteria gone. Walked through grass or any kind of woodland area? Care to take a guess at how many poor, innocent ants you may have inadvertently stepped upon? Picked a flower or used a product made from wood? Trees and plant life respond to their surroundings and it can be demonstrated that while they don't feel "pain" as such, they do react to negative stimuli. What differentiates their level of sentience from a fly? And the fly from the rabbit? And the rabbit from the monkey? My point is that you have to draw the line somewhere - presumably you draw it somewhere around the bacteria line? I draw it between "humans" and "the rest".

Y'see, bacteria, like plants, are not sentient. At least as far as we can tell.. I'm not sure if we'll ever know for sure whether bacteria can experience pain. The difference with bacteria is that it is simply impossible to avoid destroying them. No matter how hard you try, you are always going to kill a few. Not so with animals. It's entirely possible for us to get by without harming a single non-human animal.

My point is that just drawing that line between "humans" and "the rest" is completely arbitrary, and if I may say so, discriminatory. 200 years ago the line was drawn between "caucasians" and "the rest". More recently it was drawn between "men" and "the rest". Even earlier it was drawn between "male, caucasian christians" and "the rest".. You see where I'm going with this? Logically, only beings that can suffer are capable of having interests. By that same token, ALL beings with the ability to suffer will have interests. Can we, as a species, really claim to be morally enlightened if we refuse to consider those interests?

I think we've all gone a little off topic here. The OP wanted to know if there was merit to the protesters claims that TCD uses animals in research and if he/she could find out more info from students because they couldnt get staff to talk.

I think we've answered the question amply. Yes animals are used in TCD, just like they're used in pretty much every college in the country. As for the numbers used, i havent the foggiest.

As for asking students to slip you some inside info i dont think thats gona work. Undergrad students are NEVER involved in animal experimentation. So any postgrads who work in the area are obviously aware of the issues involved with working with animals and are (on the whole) resigned to the fact that animal testing is a necessery part of what they do. You wont get much out of them.

(Appologies if i'm overstepping the non-mod mark)

If we're going to continue along the pro/cons of animal testing maybe the thread should be moved????

Thanks roseic for the info. I do tend to get caught up a little in discussions like this - I do so love debating! :D

But yeah you're right, thread purpose by and large fulfilled. I think I've argued my point as well as I can for now, so unless anyone else wants to raise an issue with my reasoning I'll just leave it alone for the time being.

Incidentally, I'll be outside trinity again at half 12 Tuesday, if anyone is interested in taking a few leaflets or even debating some more. ;)

• Advertisement

The people aren't doing it for ****s and giggles, they are getting some benefit from it. While it would be great if each time an animal was killed, a cure for cancer or whatnot was discovered, thats not going to happen.

The point is whether you looking for a cure for cancer or you're studying animal behaviour the animals in question should not suffer any stress (pain, coldness, hunger etc.) unless because it is absolutely nessecary for the research to take place. then the question needs to be asked and answered on whether the cruelty is worth the results.

Thread moved from TCD forum - it was relevant to the TCD forum for awhile but it seems to have moved on to an overall debate on Animal Testing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

without animal testing we would never have developed a cure for polio, which has been eradicated in most countries. The vaccine developed in the 60's which is still used today was amplified in effectiveness after passing the virus through many monkeys. In total 100,000 monkeys perished in the development of the vaccine, however we have no polio in the western world as a result.

Also the treatment for leprosy can not be produced without an animal host to grow the leprosy bacteria as it cannot be cultered in vitro.

Similarly all research into developing a cure for AIDS would not be possible without studying the mokeys which carry the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

but I'm really not trying to start a debate here. I really don't have a strong opinion either way on the issue

orly? :)

faceman wrote: »
    without animal testing we would never have developed a cure for polio, which has been eradicated in most countries. The vaccine developed in the 60's which is still used today was amplified in effectiveness after passing the virus through many monkeys. In total 100,000 monkeys perished in the development of the vaccine, however we have no polio in the western world as a result.

Also the treatment for leprosy can not be produced without an animal host to grow the leprosy bacteria as it cannot be cultered in vitro.

Similarly all research into developing a cure for AIDS would not be possible without studying the mokeys which carry the virus.

http://www.iaapea.com/101_page.php?id=87

stovelid wrote: »
    orly? :)
    To be fair, when I made that post I really wasn't looking for a debate. I was hoping to get some info on the matter from Trinity students who might work in the labs, as the staff are very close-lipped. I didn't think I'd get very far if I admitted to being an animal rights activist!

;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ah most of what the link is saying is selective interpretation and bollocks

• Advertisement

We kill and eat animals to survive. We always have. We're (more or less) biologically dependent on their meat to live, in the same way that most carnivores or omnivores kill and eat eat other in order to survive.

Who said that humans have to eat meat to survive?

I'm not denying that activities like that may go on but the OP started this post asking about colleges use of animals. Have you ever been inside the TCD animal house or any other animal house for that matter? The animals that are housed there have the highest quality standards. The people who work there are so strict about what happens to "their" animals. Anybody who works with animals has to pass and animal handeling course before they're allowed near the animals. Before ANY experiment with animals is carried out for the sake of college research it has to pass an ethics review. During that process, other mediums such as in vitro or cell cultures are looked at as alternatives to live animals. If animals have to be used then the species has to be decieded on. You always start with the lowest ranking animal, so flys, caterpillars, moving on up to mice, chicks, rabbits etc. Then they decided on the lowest possible number of animals that they have to use to get a useable result. Most people who work with animals will tell you its not ideal but it is NECCESSARY. Originally insulin used to treat diabetics came from studies carried out on pigs, so there is a relevencey to working with animals for medical benefits.

Imagine you are one of those animals getting that kind of ROYALTY TREATMENT. :rolleyes:

faceman wrote: »
    Ah most of what the link is saying is selective interpretation and bollocks

Care to back up your claims? You might want to check the sources at the bottom of the page, many of the people listed hold Ph.D's in biomedical fields.

Obviously the article is going to be biased.. it's on an anti-vivisection website. Likewise any pro-vivisection literature you show me will be just as biased. At least the writers of that article cited their sources so you can check them out yourself.

Imagine you are one of those animals getting that kind of ROYALTY TREATMENT. :rolleyes:

Imagine your a dying diabetic. Emotive arguments can go both ways. Why is it you want children to die from afflictions that be cured by using animal testing, are you a Nazi and/or Hitler?

DID YOU JUST INVOKE GODWIN'S LAW?!?!?!

Oh right, Nazi experiments, yeah... >.>

Actually, Jimdw's argument is not just emotive. The only way you can really try to understand how a creature feels is to put yourself in their position. How will you know what it's like to live in a cage unless you put yourself in that position (or, y'know, do it for real.. but we don't need to go that far)? It's called empathy, and it's incredibly important if you want to make moral choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Polarity, put forward some excellent points on the wrongs of animal testing. However, i would like to know if your moral objections to animal testing would go out the window if you, or a close relative, were diagnosed with a life-threatening disease. What if yours or there only real hope was a new drug that first needed to be tested on animals. If the trials were a success, and the drug was okayed for the human market, would you refuse to take the potential cure because it was tested on animals who endured suffering?

by the way i think you'll appreciate this article:
    http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/03/animal-minds/virginia-morell-text/1

DID YOU JUST INVOKE GODWIN'S LAW?!?!?!

Oh right, Nazi experiments, yeah... >.>

Actually, Jimdw's argument is not just emotive. The only way you can really try to understand how a creature feels is to put yourself in their position. How will you know what it's like to live in a cage unless you put yourself in that position (or, y'know, do it for real.. but we don't need to go that far)? It's called empathy, and it's incredibly important if you want to make moral choices.

Yes, but an animal cannot perceive the world as we can. So the experience of being caged is different.

Question, what value do you place on human life compared to that of an animal? Do you see it as a one to one relationship or a one to many relationship. The usual answer I get to this question is that "all life is precious" true. However that doesn't answer the question. If faced with the decision to choose between one life and another what do you decide? Now fair enough you can go through your life without ever having to make that decision, but other people can't.

Yes, but an animal cannot perceive the world as we can. So the experience of being caged is different.

I will go ahead and say that Mammals are the same as humans just cannot speak.

Would you let humans die to save the life's of animals?

Will you kill another human to save your own life?

You assert that all mammals have to same ability perceive the world. I disagree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You assert that all mammals have to same ability perceive the world. I disagree with you.

Is this your opinion or a fact?
    Do you dispute that some animals with higher intelligence than others may have an abilty to fear death the way most of us Humans do. if you dismiss this as laughable, i would remind that little over a century ago it was considered foolish to speak of other animals as having the ability to use their mind to maniuplate their environment - another words possessing intelligence.

He says they all are the same, you say some more then others. You're both presenting conflicting opinions.

Oh, and of course its opinion.

Would you let humans die to save the life's of animals?

Would you let another human die to save your own (life)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I would

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Damn straight I would.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement