Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need value on a '00 golf quick

Options
  • 16-07-2008 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

2000 5 door 1.6L golf hatchback, assume standard trim with 16000 miles on the clock (Yes only 16,000), Genuinely immaculate cond.

How much. My brother is selling the car to a mate on behalf of my mother who owns the car. She told the brother she wanted no less than €3000. What does brother go and do? Tells the mate the car is 3,000. Needless to say yer man couldn't take the car quick enough.

Has the brother just lost us a few grand!! Are all the 00 1.6 golfs on carzone and CGB at between 5000-7000 taking the piss or are those genuinely fair prices and thus the bro has lost us between 2 and 4 grand!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Uh oh....your bro has DEFINATELY lost ye a few grand mate!

I have my 00 Golf 1.4 with 100k up at the minute and got an offer of 4,500 last week.

The mileage is incredibly low, and assuming its legitimate, you could gave easily sold that for at least €5,000 I reckon, and probably a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Would have to agree with the above poster. Looks like you've lost at least €2k, a 1.6 with such low milage is a steal at €3k...I wish I knew your brother was selling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

yeh youd easy to expect to pay 5k for a genuine car like that..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I've just been reminded that its road tax is due in a week or two. NCT due, Service due and there is a recently aquired dent with scratches down to primer on the drivers side rear wheel arch where mum grazed a gate post. Airbag warning light, Central locking acting up, tailgate lock acting up. Wasn't aware of these items till a few minutes ago.

Also just did an OMSP calculation on the revenue site and got an OSMP of 3950. (remembered about OMSP after searching golf threads a few minutes ago)

So none of the above work needs top be done by us now.

So is the bro still a fool or is the joke now on me for having a go at him?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I wouldn't say he's a fool as such, it's becoming nearly impossible to sell cars at the minute, so if he wanted a quick sale he went the right way about it. I would say that charging 6000 7000 for an 8 year old basic 1.4/1.6 golf given the current drop in demand for second hand cars is madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Your mother says she wants 3k for it and got it. second hand cars are not selling at all at the moment so bearing in mind the problems take the 3k and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Thats grand, thanks lads. Doesn't seem as bad as I had feared. It was the mother that filled me in on the new information I posted above. Turns out the bro was still a fool. He was also unaware of the above and misheard the mother. Deaf barsteward just heard 3000 and went with it whereas she meant, get as much as you can but accept no less than 3000.

Turns out the mother was the clued up one!

Advertisement