Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News Annoucement: Scientists Develop New Stuttering Treatment

Options
  • 16-07-2008 4:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Scientists at Hollins Communications Research Institute (HCRI), a non-profit research and clinical center specializing in stuttering, have developed a new stuttering treatment with advanced technologies that significantly improve the ease of learning and retaining fluent speech.

Hollins Fluency Program helps people who stutter learn how to replace faulty muscle contractions that cause stuttering with new muscle behaviors that generate fluent speech. By literally "reconstructing" muscle actions that drive movements of the tongue, lip, jaw, soft palette, and vocal folds, individuals who stutter can acquire and sustain the ability to speak fluently.

Therapy lasts 12 days and is effective across a wide range of stuttering types and severities. Data shows that 93% of HCRI clients master fluent speech by the end of the 12-day intensive therapy program. For more information, visit www.stuttering.org.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

yeah, but how many of that 93% are fluent six months on? :rolleyes: I guess about 1%. Sorry, have had my hopes raised too many times in the past to take any new claims seriously. Still, one day maybe.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 karto

Of course, that's the right question... to ask. I'm not in a position to speak for HCRI on their retention stats ... but, based on what I've seen, they have some pretty impressive results for the long-term.

A family member who had a severe stuttering condition (she could hardly speak) can now communicate beautifully after going through HCRI's therapy early on. It's been at least 10+ years and she's kept her fluency.

I know that's just one example... but I just attended the Institute's 35th reunion this past weekend. The people who were there (past program participants ... young and old) were most impressive.

I don't know the specific fluency retention stats... but if you really want to know the data, contact HCRI and ask them. (just a thought)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭BigPhil

I'm not at all convinced, plus if this therapy is so good then why have I never heard about it before?

I think who ever does this would be taking a huge financial gamble (obviously it is not going to be cheap plus you need to go the US for it) with not real proof of its success apart from a few figures and quotes from the actually company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 karto

BigPhil,
    I can't respond as to why you haven't heard of HCRI. It is a research institute that has been around for 35 years -- and is recognized as one of the pioneers of scientifically based stuttering therapy.

Before making assumptions... I'd ask your questions directly the folks at HCRI. Let them tell you their stats and talk with past program participants, etc.

Of course, that's entirely up to you. Though I wouldn't assume that it doesn't work - because I've personally met and talked with many, many program graduates who have achieved outstanding results. They've had to work hard at it though ... there are no quick-fix solutions.

I don't buy this - my stammering comes and goes, and normally comes in times of high stress, tiredness or nerves.

I don't see how 'reconstructed' muscles will help, as if this were a physical problem then would it not follow a more normal distribution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sometimes I get stuck on the word 'shill'.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I don't buy this - my stammering comes and goes, and normally comes in times of high stress, tiredness or nerves.

I don't see how 'reconstructed' muscles will help, as if this were a physical problem then would it not follow a more normal distribution?
    Yeah, this is bass ackwards alright.

Advertisement