Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rack and Panier vs Messanger bag?

Options
  • 16-07-2008 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭

Ok, I suspect that I'm going to get a divided camp here, but what the hell.
    I've just changed jobs, and will now probably be cycling with a laptop a fair bit, rather than just having to take my lunch with me as I did in my previous job. The very odd time I had to take the laptop before i just chucked it into a daypack - I only had 5km to go, no biggie. This new commute will be 8km each way, Dundrum to City centre, also don't have shower facilities either so will need to carry a bit more stuff, wet weather gear etc. Don't particularly want to have the daypack on the whole time, so I'm looking to either get a rack and pannier, or a messanger bag like a bagaboo, which can be ordered with a built in laptop sleeve. But they're up around 160 euro+ with delivery
    Which would be recommended? I don't have either rack+panniers or a bag, so I have nothing to compare with.If you're recommending a rack+pannier, can you recommend specific ones?
    Any advice grateful
    Thanks
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would always say rack and pannier over a rucksack/messenger bag. Much more comfortable.

BUT the only exception would be when carrying a laptop! I have always put it in a backpack, I would not trust it in a pannier. I would worry about it the vibration damaging it; indeed my first laptop I put in a pannier and it suffered vibration damage (screen connection came loose.)

Do you have any control over the laptop? If so, I'd suggest looking around the 1kg and just over range. Any heavier and it does get annoying but I commuted with a 1kg Sony Picturebook town-Blackrock for a while and it was OK. In my current job I got a bit sick of carrying anything and so now have a laptop which I leave in work and another one at home, I'd do this if you can and get VPN access set up from home if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Bagaboo all the way -you've seen mine, and it's all I carry. Plenty of room for everything, including a bit extra for any shopping you may want to bring home. Ok, your back may get a little sweaty, but less than you would with a backpack...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I have always opted for a backpack unless I planned to carry something particularly heavy or awkward (such as my food shopping for the week) in which case pannier bags. I haven't used the panniers in a long time now though (the regular donkey work is done by car) but have been considering going back to them for commuting as even with the minimal amount of content (bike locks, rain gear, basic tools, etc.) my backpack still brings me out in a sweat.

As I see it the advantages of panniers are that you can carry more stuff if you need to, your upper body gets less sweaty, and your back takes less of a hammering. The disadvantages are that they change the way that the bike handles, you have to allow for the width of the bag(s) when going through traffic, and your rear wheel (assuming rear wheel panniers) will take more of a hammering so poor road surface and kerbs become more of a problem.

I have used a variety of rear pannier racks, mostly generic Blackburn clones and one Blackburn. They have all been good. They were all rated for about 25kg, and they certainly handled at least that much more than once. For pannier bags my current ones are Ortlieb 'cos I got tired of the rain getting through my previous ones (Sporthouse).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

For relatively light/small loads I tend to go for a bag strapped on top of the rack rather than panniers- you don't have the extra width etc. to worry about then. But while suitable for shopping etc it definately would not be suitable for a laptop.

Use the panniers for touring.

I have a Tortec Ultra Lite rack on my tourer, 400g and rated to 25kg, great little thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Ok so, so far it's looking like my credit card is going to add Hungary to its' list of "never been to put bought from places"...
    Now to decide what size to get! Tiny yours is Large?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

kenmc wrote: »
    Ok so, so far it's looking like my credit card is going to add Hungary to its' list of "never been to put bought from places"...

Yup, mine is the large 'standard' messenger bag. I like it cos it's massive, but even when empty it fits well on your back.

I'm actually tempted to get another, slightly smaller one for work, as I only carry in a tshirt and pair of pants as well as my lunch -but if you want to get a laptop in there too, I'd suggest the large

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

kenmc wrote: »

And you're slagging me for spending a fortune on handbags!!!! :p:p:p :D

Advertisement