Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

surfboard on top of corsa....dangerous?

Options
  • 16-07-2008 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

hi,

Just wondering if anyone has experience of putting a surfboard on of a corsa or similar? Im just worried if it makes the car very unstable or if it would be noticable.

I remember when i was younger, a school teacher of mine was killed when he had a canoe on the top of his starlet, gust of wind caught the canoe and took the car off the road,very tragic.

looking for any tips on the best way to go about securing this on top!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

We used to carry two surfboards on top of a Seat Ibiza, using padded soft straps (FCS Soft Racks). Never had a problem. Since the surfboard is so flat, it shouldn't catch cross winds like a canoe, which is much taller. Just make sure it's strapped down tight.

Here's some info on the FCS Soft Racks: http://www.productsifter.com/Sport/Surfboards/SurfAccessories/FCS-soft-rack-review.aspx. They're perfect for surfboards (also used it to bring a shower enclosure home).

Recently, I've been carrying 2 sit on top kayaks on my Citroen Xsara, using a solid roof rack and stacking them on their sides (got a kayak carrier between them). I was surprised at how little it affected the handling of the car (these look like a sail on top of it), but I'd be very wary about doing it in strong winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

thats looks cool, but unfortunately the car has only two doors with no rear opening windows :( . so ill need one of the rigid bolt-on jobs.

would that softrack work if i put the rear one at the back using the boot door?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

As suggested I can't see the surf-board being a problem. We've a Torpedo style carrier on the roof of our car and while you know its there from the drag, I've never felt that I could be blown out of control. Having said that I won't go above 80 km/hr with it. A surf board is flatter and lighter than most of these carriers keep your speed right and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

jon1981 wrote: »
    would that softrack work if i put the rear one at the back using the boot door?

No, I don't think it would. A solid rack is probably your only option if you don't have back doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I often had 3 or 4 boards with sails etc on my Renault 5.

If you have a few up and its windy - keep both hands on the wheel and read the road ( ie, hold tight and be alert when passing large gaps in hedgerows etc and crossing exposed bridges).

but as previously pointed out, canoes are high sided, boards aren't - you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

The nearest I had was 4 canoes on a 3 door Opel Kaddett. Used to use the motorway regularly, never had a problem. Even now I carry a boat on the roof, again using the motorway at motorway speeds and don't have a problem.

I would suggest getting the correct roofrack for the job, particularly on a 3 door and making sure it is put on hte car properly. a decent set of straps and Bob's your auntie.

Advertisement