Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bizzare Linux behaviour #37

• 16-07-2008 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Continuing on from my thread last week regarding ifconfig, we had three machines (Red Hat Enterprise Linux, version 4) successfully re-IP addressed, thanks to some help I got on this forum.

Now, here's the strange bit - one machine is re-configured with a new IP address, powered off, moved, powered back up and does not generate any network traffic (i.e. the network card with the new IP address does not appear to work).

Until, that is, somebody logs in at the console as root. Immediately, the network admin can see network traffic and I can remotely log in.

Again, my background is databases, so I am not too clued in on the intricacies of Linux, but can anyone shed any light as to why this might happen?

Or where I might start to troubleshoot this? Presumably a good place to start would be in the .profile of root? Or could it be some power-saving thing where the network card is not activated until somebody actually does something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

So the machine is not pingable until someone logs in from a remote console?

Or by console do you mean, ssh,rsh or telnet?

Would you be able to copy and paste the contents of

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

and

/etc/sysconfig/network

If you can't, a good place to start troubleshooting would be to compare the settings in these files against a working machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

In a default configuration, network startup is completely independent of the login process. If someone has put network configuration commands in /root/.bash_profile then they've put them in the wrong place (unless of course they *want* that behaviour).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

GreenHell wrote: »
    So the machine is not pingable until someone logs in from a remote console?

Or by console do you mean, ssh,rsh or telnet?

I mean directly at the machine itself. Once the person logs in at the machine, I can then log in remotely.
    Would you be able to copy and paste the contents of

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=none
    HWADDR=00:14:5E:XX:XX:XX
    ONBOOT=yes
    TYPE=Ethernet
    USERCTL=no
    IPV6INIT=no
    PEERDNS=yes
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    IPADDR=10.132.8.151
    GATEWAY=10.132.8.1
    and

/etc/sysconfig/network
    NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=XXXX (contains the actual hostname)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Tom Do an ls -l in the home directory of root as specified by snowbat and look for .bash_profile, i'd say he's close enough to the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

cance wrote: »
    Tom Do an ls -l in the home directory of root as specified by snowbat and look for .bash_profile, i'd say he's close enough to the money.

Actually, I did have a look in .bash_profile - nothing of interest in there.

I'll post it up in a while (need to fire up the VPN client again).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

USERCTL=no

Should be set to yes I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Also have a look in /root/.bashrc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

When logging in locally at the machine, is the machine running the Gnome gui?
    Some of the GUI network configuration utilities have shown strange behaviour on machines here in the past, changing the default settings to the settings it remembers.

Also a possibility, they aren't running "init 5" to start up the GUI after they log in? If the runlevels aren't correct the network service might not start by default.
    Try:
    chkconfig --list
    Should give the list of services that start at each runlevel.
    Level 3 is console, level 5 is GUI.
    network         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Also look at /var/log/messages for messages about eth0 starting up. See whether there are messages after the time at which the user logged in locally.

Advertisement