Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vocal Mic...Dynamic vs Condenser??

Options
  • 16-07-2008 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Your thoughts people...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

horses for courses really -

Condensers generally give a bigger Hi-Fi sound that may suits a lot of singers / tracks and are often first choice .

However a dynamic can also suit rock tracks or anything that's particularly dense.

Many a vocal has been recorded with a Shure SM58 or SM7. Legend has it the bould Bono uses a '58 on a lot of things.

There's certainly one sitting on the couch plugged in all the time in their studio.

Of course in order to get the best out of either the rest of the signal chain must perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

An SM7 can be a wonderful thing on the right kind of vocal.
    As can a U87, or a valve mic, or a ribbon, or a bullhorn.
    Make your choice based on the singer, the song but above all what works best after you've tried a few different options.

teamdresch wrote: »
    An SM7 can be a wonderful thing on the right kind of vocal.
    As can a U87, or a valve mic, or a ribbon, or a bullhorn.
    Make your choice based on the singer, the song but above all what works best after you've tried a few different options.

Ja!
    Stereo Bullhorn .... one in front of the singer, one behind. Apparently Bjork never uses anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Audix i5 dynamic works great with a lot a vocalists. It really helps cut the vocal through a busy mix. Sounds like a "pimped" sm57 which is also good for vocals. I much prefer a 57 with a pop shield than a 58.

A large diaphragm condenser normally works well but can be too nice for a lot of singers in my experience. I use a Neumann about 50% of the time and i5 or 57 most of the rest. Putting the singer about 5 feet from a small diaphragm condenser in the live room can give an amazing sound too if you are looking for a shouty BV or lead vocal with some air around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johnnylakes

Thanks guys..this information is very useful..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Thanks guys..this information is very useful..

Great post elder scrolls +2

Who is this Bono??

Who is this Bono??

He's the lad who plays the pipes in the Chieftains, Yea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Your thoughts people...
    Petrol or Diesel? Active or Passive?
    Like with everything audio, there is no 'one size fits all' mantra than can ever be applied.

Much more supporting info is required to accurately answer your question...if it even is a question?:confused:

Savman wrote: »
    Like with everything audio, there is no 'one size fits all' mantra than can ever be applied.

Much more supporting info is required to accurately answer your question...if it even is a question?:confused:

I understand this Savman, and thank you for your comment! Just wanted to get a general feel of what all of yall here on boards think.. I know it's a 'what colour is the wind' kind of thing...

• Advertisement

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    He's the lad who plays the pipes in the Chieftains, Yea?

Ah, The Chieftains...Ireland's first hardcore thrash metal band

Ah, The Chieftains...Ireland's first hardcore thrash metal band

and some say the Best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I understand this Savman, and thank you for your comment! Just wanted to get a general feel of what all of yall here on boards think.. I know it's a 'what colour is the wind' kind of thing...
    How long is a piece of string?? I still don't think the question can be answered as simply as "Dynamic or Condenser". The application determines the tool.

For example, I like Beta 57A on Guitars and some Vox, I also really like Beta 87A on Female Vox. One's a dynamic, one's a condenser, what does that tell you? Nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

How long is I also really like Beta 87A on Female Vox. One's a dynamic, one's a condenser, what does that tell you? Nothing!

The poor mans Neuman 105?
    +1 for the 87A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

i've noticed that some good threads get started and alot can be learned from vague questions such as the one that started this thread

Hi guys...
    It wasn't really meant as a question..
    More to get your thoughts on the pros/cons/differences between the 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

Hi guys...
    It wasn't really meant as a question..
    More to get your thoughts on the pros/cons/differences between the 2...

In that case - what do you think?

hahah...
    well I don't think I'm experienced enough right now to comment. I've just bought my first set of condensers (NT5) and so far have only used em on overheads. So maybe I'll get back to you...........
    Maybe I should re-phrase the non-question - ;P
    Vocal Mic...Dynamic or Condenser.. Applications thereof???
    I dunno...
    Thanks for taking the time out.

Although I guess the question marks imply the asking of a question...oh, what a tangled web we weave...

Advertisement