Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nerve Damage? ... help

Options
  • 16-07-2008 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys ...

Have you ever heard of nerve damaged due to cycling?
    My 'saddle area' has been feeling numb for the past few days. The area where I sit, that touhes the saddle feels contantly asleep( keep in mind I am a girl ). Today I have started feeling numb on down my leg and my wrist too. I googled it and found that:

Even favourite sports can cause pressure on nerves. The numbness you feel may be neuropathy (injured nerve) You need a break from cycling to see if this will relieve the numbness. If it is from the cycling and you continue to abuse the sensory nerve, you run the risk of permanent damage. Permanent numb butt.

I am really worried and extremely ***ed off ...:(

What do you guys think ... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

Sounds scary but on the other hand you might be able to go for 500 km and simply feel nothing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Yes, I feel nothing on the saddle, but also Off the Saddle ... otherwise not feeling anything wouln't seem so bad....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

I wonder if that's saddle positioning problem or maybe it's shape ? Did you try other saddles ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, damage to the Sciatic Nerve in long-distance cyclists is quite well documented, and if let unchecked can lead to acute sciatica.

I'd recommend having a chat to physio or a sports doctor. Something as simple as adjusting your ride position, changing your saddle and doing a few small stretches before riding can make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I know you don't want to hear this but I would get it checked out with a physio and, in the meantime, lay off the cycling.

Earlier this year I was left with a bit of nerve damage in my leg after a fall. I was given some very gentle exercises to do and it healed after a couple of weeks.
    Yes, I feel nothing on the saddle, but also Off the Saddle ... otherwise not feeling anything wouln't seem so bad....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

seamus wrote: »
    Yep, damage to the Sciatic Nerve in long-distance cyclists is quite well documented, and if let unchecked can lead to acute sciatica.

I'd recommend having a chat to physio or a sports doctor. Something as simple as adjusting your ride position, changing your saddle and doing a few small stretches before riding can make all the difference.

+1.
    Talk to a doc and rest a few days. You did two long sessions last weekend, rest and recover!! But seek medical attention if it goes on any longer, only a qualified practitioner can give you the peace of mind you need right now.

I know you don't want to hear this but I would get it checked out with a physio and, in the meantime, lay off the cycling.
    quote]

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Nerve damage is certainly plausible, although I would imagine it is rare. However, the fact that this has persisted for several days suggests that you should seek medical advice - take your pick of GP, physiotherapist, osteopath, etc. (personally, I would go to an osteopath).

Also, consider changing your saddle. There are a good range of specific saddles for women these days - the centre portion is usually removed from them. Terrys is one well-known make with a good reputation, but several of the bigger brands now produce womens saddles too. Check places like www.bikeradar.com for reviews.

I think me and Ruby ( that's my bike ) are going to go see Paul Tansey ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

+1

On going to see a doctor / physio. Try not to use google as a medical tool. Some information may not be accurate or have any relevance to whatever you've got and you'll only worry yourself. You've done a colossal amount of cycling recently so maybe you just need some time off but again let the doctor / physio decide.

• Advertisement

c0rk3r wrote: »
    +1

On going to see a doctor / physio. Try not to use google as a medical tool. Some information may not be accurate or have any relevance to whatever you've got and you'll only worry yourself. You've done a colossal amount of cycling recently so maybe you just need some time off but again let the doctor / physio decide.

Thanks for the tips all -

I am going to 'drive' up to Paul Tansey's tomorrow with the bike. Got an appointment and skip the race tonight ... I hope I am ok for Saturday...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I'm not medically trained but I can take a look if you wish...:)

el tel wrote: »
    I'm not medically trained but I can take a look if you wish...:)
    :eek: pervert ... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

I'm sure everything will be grand but best to check it out.
    shame you have to miss the race tonight.

LDB wrote: »
    I'm sure everything will be grand but best to check it out.
    shame you have to miss the race tonight.

ARGGHH!!!! Don't rub it in!!!! :( I will see if they let me Marshall tonight anway, so you will see me there ... without the bike ... Maybe I'll bring my camera :)

cool, will see you there anyway so. feel free to give me a push as I go past!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

What race?.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Good luck with tonight's race, hope you get some points for turning up to marshall!

LDB wrote: »
    cool, will see you there anyway so. feel free to give me a push as I go past!

You don't need a push, you're fast enough, I am sure you can get placed this time around ( I will sabbotage the scratch group's bikes before they go to make it even easyer for you )

blorg wrote: »
    Good luck with tonight's race, hope you get some points for turning up to marshall!

yes I should :)

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    What race?.
    Boot Inn league - Women's league at the Airport.

You don't need a push, you're fast enough, I am sure you can get placed this time around ( I will sabbotage the scratch group's bikes before they go to make it even easyer for you )

Yeah give em all a puncture!!! (although of course I don't condone sabotage!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Sticks in the spokes works best I find :mad:

Sticks in the spokes works best I find

been on the receiving end of that have you? nasty

Actually had that happen to me a few years back, wooden stake of some sort dropped off a construction truck, bounced into my front wheel, sending me straight over the handlebars Superman-style :D

Actually had that happen to me a few years back, wooden stake of some sort dropped off a construction truck, bounced into my front wheel, sending me straight over the handlebars Superman-style :D

are you a bit unlucky there blorg?!

just realised I've taken caroline's thread a tad off topic ... oops!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Just how many accidents have you had?

el tonto wrote: »
    Just how many accidents have you had?
    Too many to list. In fairness I have been cycling for around 15 years, it's not like these all happened last week :D

We want to see the scars ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

We want to see the scars ...

No we don't! :D

Advertisement