Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nerve Damage? ... help

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

doozerie wrote: »
    Nerve damage is certainly plausible, although I would imagine it is rare. However, the fact that this has persisted for several days suggests that you should seek medical advice - take your pick of GP, physiotherapist, osteopath, etc. (personally, I would go to an osteopath).

+1 on the Osteopath.

They have a slightly different approach to physios, which has helped me become pain free from a long term back problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Fion_McCool

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Nerve damage is certainly plausible, although I would imagine it is rare. However, the fact that this has persisted for several days suggests that you should seek medical advice - take your pick of GP, physiotherapist, osteopath, etc. (personally, I would go to an osteopath).

+1 on the Osteopath.

They have a slightly different approach to physios, which has helped me become pain free from a long term back problem.
    Go to an osteopath if you enjoy expensive illogical quackery.

But if you do, keep him/her well away from your neck. Manipulation of the neck is associated with a very small risk of tearing the vertebral artery in the back of the neck leading to stroke or death.

I've been to every type of practitioner known to man, I know what works for me.

Physios are too constrained in their approach. My pelvis was out of place for the best part of 8 months and the exercises and treatments that physios were recommending didn't help a jot. Three sessions with a very good osteopath sorted it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I've been to every type of practitioner known to man, I know what works for me.

i know a girl who says the same thing about 'crystal healing'... sorts her aura right out.

personally, i swear by snake oil.

I think it's a bit of stretch to compare crystal healing to osteopathy.

I don't understand your and Fionn's resistance to effective techniques ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I think it's a bit of stretch to compare crystal healing to osteopathy.

i'm not. i'm just unimpressed by 'works for me' talk. anecdotal and all that. medical science ftw. but let's not derail this thread ay?

and in caroline's position i'd be looking for someone with knowledge of cycling-specific injuries so Paul Tansey would deffo be one port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

niceonetom wrote: »
    and in caroline's position i'd be looking for someone with knowledge of cycling-specific injuries so Paul Tansey would deffo be one port of call.
    This is the thing, whatever your views on chiropractors Paul Tansey would certainly know cycling injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Where's Paul Tansey based and do you have a number for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Where's Paul Tansey based and do you have a number for him?

He is in Dundrum 298-6246 above Joe Daly's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Deadly - thanks Caroline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

blorg wrote: »
    This is the thing, whatever your views on chiropractors Paul Tansey would certainly know cycling injuries.

In case people are confusing osteopaths and chiropractors, they are not the same.

The reference to osteopathy as "expensive illogical quackery" doesn't even merit a response. Anyone interested in either type of treatment should read up on it and make an informed decision as to whether it is appropriate for them. In the specific case of osteopathy in Ireland you can find further info here: www.osteopathy.ie

Personally, having tried both chiropractic and osteopathy, my choice for some time (several years now) has always been osteopathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Getting back on track.

Any developments Caroline ?

I've been getting a similar numbness in my right hand after a longer ride and it's sometimes been taking a few days to clear up. I think it's because I tend to grip too tightly with my righthand. I'm really concentrating on a lighter grip and it seems to be fixing it.

Not sure if this will help you, but one other thing happened that maybe of interest. I had my bike set up correctly last weekend (after having done over 1000km on it this summer). My first ride afterwards I felt some numbness 'down there', so guess the saddle is going back to where it was a week ago. My point is that it had only been raised less than an inch, so it may be something fairly simple like that.

I hope your concerns clear up. There was a similar (but male) issue posted a few days ago.

BTW on the oesteopath vs chiropractor debate, I have great faith in my local chiropractor after I slipped a disc a year ago, but don't know if this would be their area of expertise (trying carefully to avoid sounding smutty !).

Redjeep! wrote: »
    Getting back on track.

quote]

Hi,

Nothing serious :) I am just unbalanced and that is my new excuse for all the things that I don't want to do. My body applies too much pressure to my right side, my hips are not straight. The 260km sat + sun spin was a bit much and it caused to 'crush' my nerves on the right side, leading to all my right side feeling numb. Everything is related ( neck, arm, hip, leg and ankle ) to the unbalance. It's very common. It can and will be corrected and I did worry too much yet again ,,, the story of my life.

:D

In case people are confusing osteopaths and chiropractors, they are not the same.

The reference to osteopathy as "expensive illogical quackery" doesn't even merit a response. Anyone interested in either type of treatment should read up on it and make an informed decision as to whether it is appropriate for them. In the specific case of osteopathy in Ireland you can find further info here: www.osteopathy.ie

Personally, having tried both chiropractic and osteopathy, my choice for some time (several years now) has always been osteopathy.
    Mmmmm.... are you connected with this quackery ?

There is NO, zero, nada, statutory regulation of osteopaths in Ireland, which means that ANYONE can call themselves an osteopath, put up a plate and start a practice. There is also very little scientific evidence that it actually works.

Why anyone would subject themselves to a practitioner of a loopy belief system, who's founder Andrew Taylor Still said he could "shake a child and stop scarlet fever, croup, diphtheria, and cure whooping cough in three days by a wring of its neck", is beyond me !

http://www.quackometer.net/blog/2008/03/age-of-quackery.html

But it's a free country.....

:confused:

Mmmmm.... are you connected with this quackery ?

There is NO, zero, nada, statutory regulation of osteopaths in Ireland, which means that ANYONE can call themselves an osteopath, put up a plate and start a practice. There is also very little scientific evidence that it actually works.

Why anyone would subject themselves to a practitioner of a loopy belief system, who's founder Andrew Taylor Still said he could "shake a child and stop scarlet fever, croup, diphtheria, and cure whooping cough in three days by a wring of its neck", is beyond me !

http://www.quackometer.net/blog/2008/03/age-of-quackery.html

But it's a free country.....

:confused:

Am I connected with osteopathy? No, just a happy user of the services of osteopaths. What are you connected with, seeing as how hidden agendas seem to be the way your thinking leans?

As regards statutory regulation in Ireland, the www.osteopathy.ie website is quite clear on this, as per the following quote:
    Since its inception, the Association has lobbied hard to establish State Registration of Osteopaths - along the lines of the U.K. model. (Osteopaths Bill 1993)

At present, state registration in Ireland remains a distant prospect, however - at the last annual general meeting of the association, the members voted by a huge majority, that membership of the IOA should be contingent upon an individual achieving and retaining registration with the UK registering body - the General Osteopathic Council. Effectively, this acts as a further guarantee that IOA members are practicing to the highest standards of safe and competent clinical practice - as required for state registration in the UK.

...and from the www.osteopathy.org.uk website:
    The General Osteopathic Council (GOsC) is one of 13 organisations in the UK known as health and social care regulators. Each organisation oversees the health and social care professions by regulating individual professionals.

The regulators are set up to protect the public so that whenever you see a health or social care professional, you can be sure they meet the required standards.

They even helpfully present a list of the regulated professions so that you can choose to label those as quackery too - you might want to reconsider future visits to your dentist, for example.

Yup, it is a free country, and people are free to make as informed, or uninformed, a decision as they like. Personally, I prefer informed decisions and the links above might be of use to those of a similar mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Redjeep! wrote: »
    Getting back on track.

quote]

Hi,

Nothing serious :) I am just unbalanced and that is my new excuse for all the things that I don't want to do. My body applies too much pressure to my right side, my hips are not straight. The 260km sat + sun spin was a bit much and it caused to 'crush' my nerves on the right side, leading to all my right side feeling numb. Everything is related ( neck, arm, hip, leg and ankle ) to the unbalance. It's very common. It can and will be corrected and I did worry too much yet again ,,, the story of my life.

:D

Doesn't sound too bad. A load off your mind I'd say? Hey, maybe you should start riding fixed gear? The "Zen thing" could help you achieve the necessary balance...

...*runs away*:o

unionman wrote: »

Hey, maybe you should start riding fixed gear? The "Zen thing" could help you achieve the necessary balance...

...*runs away*:o
    I am scared of fixies ...

They even helpfully present a list of the regulated professions so that you can choose to label those as quackery too - you might want to reconsider future visits to your dentist, for example.

Is that so ?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1985/en/act/pub/0009/index.html

:rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Yup, it is a free country, and people are free to make as informed, or uninformed, a decision as they like. Personally, I prefer informed decisions and the links above might be of use to those of a similar mindset.

Can't believe you are actually equating osteopaths and dentists. You have got to be kidding. You seem to be even admitting with your posts that there is no regulation at all in Ireland?

It's not a 'profession' in the normal sense of the word either.

copacetic wrote:
    Can't believe you are actually equating osteopaths and dentists. You have got to be kidding. You seem to be even admitting with your posts that there is no regulation at all in Ireland?

It's not a 'profession' in the normal sense of the word either.

Where did I equate osteopaths and dentists? I pointed out that the UK regulatory body that regulates osteopathy is one of a group that also regulate dentists (and doctors, pharmacists, etc., in fact). For a person to dismiss the regulatory body of one suggests a sceptical view of the others too.

As regards regulation of osteopaths in Ireland, this is discussed on the website of the Irish Osteopathic Association as per my post above. I am making no claims on their behalf, they are well capable of speaking for themselves and do so on their site.

I don't know what your definition of "profession" is, but as one example the regulatory bodies in the UK use the word in reference to osteopathy so maybe you should enlighten them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement