Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New road bike

Options
  • 16-07-2008 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

Hey

Any suggestions for new bike up to 2k euro ?
    Or maybe get it in parts ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Join in with everyone else on here and get a Focus Cayo or a Planet X.

What do you have now? What do you see as the limitations?

I went for a Cayo myself and upgraded the wheels and a few other bits- came out pretty much at the 2k mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

got myself a cayo too and love it and you'll have soem nice change from 2000! with the bottle cages, speedo, some tunes, saddle bag, some tools and levers you'd be looking at about 1400 for all that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

well first and main thing for me is small frame i have 58 and i was told with my height 195cm - 6'4" i should go with 60-61 whatever size there is and that's main reason for new bike, old one is not fitted properly so i get really harsh neck pains

now its on shimano 105 except brakes which are tektro

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Cue recomendations of highly specced bikes with dubious standard frames :)

Its all about the frame - get a bike with a quality frame and you can upgrade it over the course of a few years.

http://www.racycles.com/CerveloSoloistTeamUltegraBike-idv-5943-255.html

Is what I would get if was getting a new road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

If you're that big you may have problems with the Focus -there were a couople tall guys on here t'other week that found they couldn't get one the right size -think they went Planet X in the end

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

That'd be me. Focus are all sold out of larger frames - sent them an email direct.

I'm waiting delivery of my Planet X - they have a number of X-Large frames still in stock as far as I know.

went to cycleways one day to get the frame fitted with their fancy machine they got, but apparently wasn't considered as potential buyer so some guy asked me how tall i am and said frame 61 and that's it so didnt really helped me and still I don't know if big frame will be enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

tunney wrote: »

Its all about the frame - get a bike with a quality frame and you can upgrade it over the course of a few years.

http://www.racycles.com/CerveloSoloistTeamUltegraBike-idv-5943-255.html

Is what I would get if was getting a new road bike.

The Cervelo soloist is one of the best frames on the market at the moment, its light and aero.

If you are having fit issues there would be a lot to be said for buying and getting fitted in a local shop rather than off the net. I think off the net works best when you already have a bike that fits you well and you know what you need.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Hi Omri,
    With that budget you should be able to get something very good for yourself.

I'd agree that the most important thing is the frame. I met you on Saturday and you're a tall guy alright, so finding something that fits you well should be the main priority. A 61cm frame sounds about right, but you may want to go to a shop and get properly fitted to make sure.

With that budget you should be able to get yourself a carbon frame or a high end aluminium frame. Wheels would be the next most important thing. I don't know what you've got at the moment, but you should be able to get some solid but light clincher wheels. You've got the cash to buy a completely new bike, but if you find yourself wanting to spend a lot on the frame and wheels, the 105 would do you fine for the time being.

As for buy vs. build, at that price point I'd tend towards building unless I spotted something with exactly the right set up I wanted.
    tunney wrote: »

Which frames are dubious in your opinion?

• Advertisement

some nice fit calculator on this website fit calc

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭jefferson73

If possible get fitted, i'm 191 cm 6 ft 3" i take a 58 c to t, 57 c to c.

Try fitting on www.wrenchscience.com
    or www.bikefitting.com for rough guide.

And I'm only 6ft and cycle a 58cm c-c! But I have long suspected I go for a size too big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

my reccomendation would be in the litespeed range, ghisallo first or else the vortex, look well and handle well too in the larger frame sizes

A Ghisallo is probably my dream bike but if you can get one for 2k I would like to know where (my credit card is out already!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think most people like to go for a smaller frame for the more compact position and being able to get your saddle nice and high. How do you normally ride, do you prefer more of an upright style or do you like the "head down-arse up" style (hmmm....sounds dodgy, I'd retype that but I'm lazy!)

Anyway, 6'4" is pretty darn tall and if you are having problems with fit then I would follow the advice here and get fitted. Also, if you are of the more vertical riding disposition, maybe working on your core muscles might help alleviate the neck pains. Where do you focus most of your weight when riding?

The first thing that comes with my small frame is that I have this strange feeling as if (because of its geometry) my legs aren't in right position to use their full potential. So I had to raise my saddle high and move it back. When I did that while doing spin around 45k I had to stop 3-4 time to stretch my neck as pain was too intense. Then I moved saddle towards fron of bike and it got better but again the legs aren't feeling lined up to good. I did 45k two days ago, I was going really low due to strong wing (my handlebars are lower than saddle) was barely able to move my head yesterday. Now I was thinking that maybe the steam is bit too long and it's put on other way so handlebars are higher. My doctor advised me to have more upright position as I had some back injury when I was younger. About the weight I thing it's 60% saddle 40% handlebars depending if I have my fingers on brakes all the time. But that's more like a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭jefferson73

Just out of interest, any opinions on the Litespeed Siena,

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Litespeed_Siena_Frameset/5360032347/

reasonably enough price, however, the biggest size is a large, not sure what size that equates to 58 c to t ??

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

You definetly need a bigger frame, I'm just under 6ft and ride a 58cm frame, I just stuck some tribars on it and moved the saddle forward, its very comfortable to ride. You could get a bike sizing in http://www.wheelworxbikes.com/ for a few quid, this would make it alot easier to buying your bike online.

Advertisement