Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for the Guards

Options
  • 16-07-2008 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi, my husband wants to apply for the guards. We've just gotten all the info on how to go about it. You need to have a Leaving Cert Pass in Maths, unfortunately he didn't pass Maths in the Leaving and he's gutted. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent course he can do to get this other than the Leaving? If he has to do the Leaving Cert again it means he'll have to wait until September 2009 before he can even apply!! If anyone can help we'd really appreciate it

Thanks, Larr

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Larr wrote: »
    Hi, my husband wants to apply for the guards. We've just gotten all the info on how to go about it. You need to have a Leaving Cert Pass in Maths, unfortunately he didn't pass Maths in the Leaving and he's gutted. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent course he can do to get this other than the Leaving? If he has to do the Leaving Cert again it means he'll have to wait until September 2009 before he can even apply!! If anyone can help we'd really appreciate it

Thanks, Larr

As far as i know there is no way around it. But I'm no expert, and might be completely wrong, so your best bet would be ringing Public Apointment Service on 1890-449999 and they will answer all your questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Jacqui21

he will have to go back and do leaving cert maths again. there is no way around it. you hav to get the maths. u can do it in the institute or ashfield at night or the weekend. my friend repeated irish to get into primary school teaching. gud luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Well if he started now he'll defo be able to pass maths. Go to the institute, he won't get away with slacking off there. Look on the bright side at least in 12 months time you'll have more time to save up more cash to get you through the few months he's in Templemore should he make it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

Did anyone hear the rumour that the accelerated recruitment is coming to an end? Sept or feb intakes cancelled? Its supposed to be slowing down people... which means it could be a tad harder to get in, in future.
    Anyone hear anything??

the locust wrote: »
    Did anyone hear the rumour that the accelerated recruitment is coming to an end? Sept or feb intakes cancelled? Its supposed to be slowing down people... which means it could be a tad harder to get in, in future.
    Anyone hear anything??

There is always a lot of rumours flying around, intake's full, recruitment freeze etc. More often than not they turn out to be false. So I owuldn't pay them much attention to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Anyone hear anything??

I've heard it all before, was told this by HQ back in May , he said theres a good chance therell be no august or november intakes. :rolleyes:
    It may slow down a bit, they may only have 2 intakes per year instead of 4, but they'll always need people to replace those retiring etc.

The big freeze is on again lads :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

least these conspiracy's make good reading:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I havent heard it but tbh this organisation is like a hairdressers on a Saturaday morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

My Sgt mentioned it yesterday... he said 'Well lads, no september or february intakes, accelerated recruitment is over, aren't you glad yous are in!

My Sgt mentioned it yesterday... he said 'Well lads, no september or february intakes, accelerated recruitment is over, aren't you glad yous are in!

was there ever a september intake? I thought it was August and November

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

pvt.joker wrote: »
    The big freeze is on again lads :D:D

:D this is sounding all too familiar eh ...
    Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    least these conspiracy's make good reading:pac:
    TheNog wrote: »
    I havent heard it but tbh this organisation is like a hairdressers on a Saturaday morning

ah, it's good to know some things will never change though - rumour mills never stop running
    ojewriej wrote: »
    was there ever a september intake? I thought it was August and November

Yeah ojewriej I thought the same as yourself ; no Sept just Feb/May/Aug/Nov

prob will slow down in terms of number of recruitment drives a year but the 4in-takes will need to be maintained to sustain numbers in the force i'd say

kerry4sam wrote: »

Yeah ojewriej I thought the same as yourself ; no Sept just Feb/May/Aug/Nov

I think thats a further proof that it's all hearsay. It might be true, I might not.

I don't think people who really know what's going to happen are going around telling everybody. It's all overheard, prob exaggerated rumours, no way of telling how true they are, so it's best just to dismiss them.

Advertisement