Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money (supposed lack of) in Football ????

Options
  • 16-07-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

If what has been reported is true:
    ie. Man Utd and Liverpool in massive debt and are seriously counting the pennies like never before.

Liverpool:
    Cannot afford 15mil for Barry not to mind 15/20mil for Keane, and they are looking to offload Alonso to balance to books etc....

All of Man Utd's turnover last year/season went on balacing the books against massive interest payment.

Given the above, Are THFC in a position to offer better personal terms to potential targets or will the above clubs continue to operate beyond their means ???

On Berbatov, for instance it's reported that he will get a 100% pay rise by going to Man Utd, can this be true give their finincial plight.

Also the fact that they appear willing to loose the player over a few million difference on the transfer fee tells me that they must be in a fair bit of trouble, no ??

I find the whole thing bizzare, What do you think ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I think both United and Liverpool are doing what we are trying to do with Bentley/Blackburn Shane.

No side wants to pay over the odds for a player, in the case of Berbatov and Keane neither player has a sell-on value (same could be said for Barry) so the clubs are trying to drive the asking price down to an acceptable level.

We're trying similar with Bentley, though he has a resale value in fairness.

The only club capable of splashing out stupid money on players right now is Chelsea. The Italians cannot compete on transfer fees, Barca have to sell before they can buy and Real haven't got the option of selling their training ground to Madrid council any more...:D

I don't think United are particularly strapped for cash, they are still one of the most profitable clubs in world football and while they do have to meet the costs of the Glazer's buyout as things currently stand they do not have to divert all of their profit to do that.

Advertisement