Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nobody Playing?

Options
  • 16-07-2008 11:42am
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed there's very little activity these days. Have people gotten bored of AoC already?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Maximilian wrote: »
    I've noticed there's very little activity these days. Have people gotten bored of AoC already?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Well i'm on for a game anytime, the wolves didn't really work out. No point having a guild if people aren't going to actually play together. Sure you may as well be playing Oblivion and save the monthly fee.

So if you fancy arranging a night or take the running of the wolves and see if you can kick some life into the old dog. I'll come along for sure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It pretty much killed my graphics card (see below screenshot), so until i can afford to get myself a new one (and a new rig as its quite old) i'm going to be out. I liked it, but it played pretty badly. Will probably go back once i do get a new one.

picture000vn1.th.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Also no longer playing, busy at the moment and it doesnt hold the appeal it did at the start. Hopefully when I get a quiet weekend I'll come back and finish lvling to 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Playing on Aquilonia RP server, Fallor is character name, guild is Storm Lords.

Look me up if you want, mightnt be on tonight as I'm doing some redecorating though put I play nearly every evening.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Kiith wrote: »
    It pretty much killed my graphics card (see below screenshot), so until i can afford to get myself a new one (and a new rig as its quite old) i'm going to be out. I liked it, but it played pretty badly. Will probably go back once i do get a new one.

picture000vn1.th.png

Zoiks!
    Well i'm on for a game anytime, the wolves didn't really work out. No point having a guild if people aren't going to actually play together. Sure you may as well be playing Oblivion and save the monthly fee.

So if you fancy arranging a night or take the running of the wolves and see if you can kick some life into the old dog. I'll come along for sure.

Might have to revive the doggy so :)
    Tails142 wrote: »
    Playing on Aquilonia RP server, Fallor is character name, guild is Storm Lords.

Look me up if you want, mightnt be on tonight as I'm doing some redecorating though put I play nearly every evening.

Don't have the will to start a new charachter on a different server.

Judging from what I'm seeing here and on the offical forums, I think a lot of people have becomine frustrated or bored with AoC.

It looks like people are pinning their hopes on WAR as the next big mmorpg. I have to say, I'm one of them, although I'll level my Demonologist to 80 (crap as they are)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I really hope War delivers on what it has been promising. The recent cuts to classes and cities is not exactly perfect, but hopefully they will manage to still make some quality PvP action. I just hope the main capital cities dont become a zerg fest.
    Maximilian wrote: »
    Zoiks!
    And thats only the login screen. You should see Tortage on my pc :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've been too busy to play, so I'm waiting til the end of the Summer. Most of the updates should (hopefully) be done by then, plus DX10 too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I played till my free month was up then canceled.
    It just isn't a better game than wow (in my opinion of course) and even though I had gotten horrendously bored of wow, I don't think I want to go backwards from wow especially with the tough system requirements of Aoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Canceled my account for the moment too. Might reactivate depending on what they patch in and when. Trying my hand at EVE now instead !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

canceled here too

three nights in a row of raid boss crash and so many many bugs, felt like i was back at the release of tribes 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Cancelled here too, I was fairly casual and when I started to hit massive amounts of bugs and the content became severely lacking(50+) I just got bored and quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I played on ehm furry i think it was with some boardsie guild was kinda boring *no offence* was like playing a single player game anyway open pvp was anoying the game was insanely buggy and bad performance i canceld after a week of playing and spent the rest of myfree month on the culture pvp server was great fun but the game isnt worth a monthly fee there is better free to play games out there content wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I only fired it up again recently, I havent even made it outta tortage yet. I was mainly playing because i never tried a MMORPG before but at the mo I think the Rev, is right i might as well just be playing Oblivion 'cos by my lonesome im cannon fodder on a PVP server so Im sticking to night time quests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Yea gotta agree with the buggy comments, was insanely buggy, and before you go saying "yea yea all mmorpgs are like that when they start" for games coming into the pretty competitive market and going up against the mighty WOW they really have to have it right from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

And so many people on my WoW server gave WoW up for AOC. Wonder if they feel the same as most of you guys here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

BadCharlie wrote: »
    And so many people on my WoW server gave WoW up for AOC. Wonder if they feel the same as most of you guys here.

I know a few playing on another server and they're enjoying it, but they moved en mass, I'm thinking since I play casually I might reroll on a pve server.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

installed it...read the manual...was excited...creted a cool tattooed character...was in awe of the intro movie...played till level 5...logged off and back to Wow.
    aint been back. might do sometime.

just a big old "meh" tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Einstein wrote: »
    installed it...read the manual...was excited...creted a cool tattooed character...was in awe of the intro movie...played till level 5...logged off and back to Wow.

I h8 buying something and then not playing it. Used to do this so so much. Buy 2 or 3 games and end up playing one of them and the rest i would tell my self ya i will get back to you dont worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭JesterWX

Bought it a few weeks back, loaded it, waited hours for it to patch and started it only to be told I had to update my video drivers. One install of drivers and I eventually got it going. Thought it ok but limited at the early levels anyway. The following night, my XPS box was blue-screening on boot-up.

Several attempts at rolling back the drivers update, system restores, even an attempt at reinstalling Windows (on a virgin drive) and I still had no machine.

4 weeks later after a new motherboard, CPU, memory and graphics card, my PC was finally working, TG for extended XPS warranty.

The game still wants to use newer drivers, I think I might just play EVE or LOTRO instead....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

good grief man, was this the driver that you used?

golf-driver-and-ball_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

im not surprised it has failed miserably. i would still like to play it to see what its like. think ill wait a few months till its running smoothly and i can invest in a new rig.

having too much fun with wow to be playin it too atm.

i posted here a few weeks ago that a huge number of people had already stopped playing it.

epic fail aoc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Have given up on it as well. Enjoyed playing lotro too much and it can be hard for another game to capture your attention when your heart isn't really into it...

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm kind of not surprised by everyone's view. Funcom really have done themselves no favours at all.

Going from 59-64 has been a real grind. What's really annoyed me is that because the Arena Key quest is borked, that whole line of quests has been off-limits for me.

People have complained about this particular bug for weeks and at least three previous patches have tried to fix it and failed. Yesterday's patch claimed to have fixed it and lo & behold, it's still broken. If they can't even fix this, I wonder what hope there is for this game. I'm really considering quitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Einstein wrote: »

So you played for half an hour, until level five? Would you judge WoW at level 5? :P

I'm enjoying the game as a casual player. The server I'm on has a brilliant community, no whiny kids or russians (thank you Fury and Wildsoul for being the magnets for those). I'm an officer in a very active guild full of great people and I'm taking my time to level up and explore the content. However if I wasn't in the guild and was just on my own I probably would have quit by now as well. It's not a very fun game when you're playing solo. The bugs are something I can live with. None have affected me yet and the arena problem doesn't seem to exist on our server at all. Looking forward to the PvP and Kingship patches and don't see myself quitting anytime soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Yeah I'm still really enjoying it, although maybe its coz I can play on good settings I dunno.

Just when things get a little slow I get to a new area and am taken back by how awesome it looks. Just got to thunder river there.

I really enjoy the game, a lot more then I did wow. I think really this game is for those that arnt into the whole wow thing, while a lot of people just seem to want wow 2.

I have no interest, what so ever, in WAR.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Cancelled here too,lack of conetent above 60 and bugs turned me off.
    iracing.com has me by the short `n curlies ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

My activity in it has tapered off quite a bit.

Its just 3 types of NPCs - melee, magic and archer. Their level ramps up as your level does. Rinse, repeat. I just dont view the PvE aspect as compelling. Raids and crap like that....yeah, whatever....

There are 4 basic classes, priest, soldier, rogue and mage - all the sub class **** is just variation on a theme. Any class thats not melee/combo based is fairly boring to play, but melee tend to get ganked in PvP.

PvP is ..... well chaotic. Theres no reason to PvP. Theres no reason not to PvP. Still great fun to camp the Aquitania noble district and gank every mofo trying to get into or out of the guarded area but theres no reason to do so other than griefing.

The only long term interest this game will hold long term is leaving a level 20 or so high DPS [rogue/mage] character on White Sands isle/Underhalls to grief noobs. I have zero interest in the "must get epic lewt" endgame grinding.

Sand wrote: »
    My activity in it has tapered off quite a bit.

Its just 3 types of NPCs - melee, magic and archer. Their level ramps up as your level does. Rinse, repeat. I just dont view the PvE aspect as compelling. Raids and crap like that....yeah, whatever....

There are 4 basic classes, priest, soldier, rogue and mage - all the sub class **** is just variation on a theme. Any class thats not melee/combo based is fairly boring to play, but melee tend to get ganked in PvP.

PvP is ..... well chaotic. Theres no reason to PvP. Theres no reason not to PvP. Still great fun to camp the Aquitania noble district and gank every mofo trying to get into or out of the guarded area but theres no reason to do so other than griefing.

The only long term interest this game will hold long term is leaving a level 20 or so high DPS [rogue/mage] character on White Sands isle/Underhalls to grief noobs. I have zero interest in the "must get epic lewt" endgame grinding.

Can't really argue with any of that. Yet, I'm compelled to see my demo out to 80.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Cancelled, played it for about a week.
    The bugs were the main issue but also the character that I was levelling, was the worst class and kept getting nerfed
    I found the gameplay was, as mentioned before, "Meh"

Advertisement