Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pre NCT

Options
  • 16-07-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Anybody have any good tips for NCT, have it this Saturday?
    Any sort of things I should do to my car (e.g. clean it :-) before I drop it in
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Remove hubcaps
    A clean car looks better (although it shouldn't affect anything)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

if you read the website it tells you how to have the car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

1. Your car has adequate oil and water.
    2. The boot is empty and seats are clear of personal belongings. It is not necessary to remove baby seats, however, if they are in situ, they will be inspected for security and may fail. 3. The vehicle is reasonably clean (especially the underbody)
    4. The wheel hubcaps are removed (only in the case where the wheel nuts are NOT visible) and
    the tyres are inflated to the correct pressure.
    5. The engine is in a fit state to be tested e.g. cam belt / timing belt. You may be asked to sign a
    disclaimer at the test centre.
    6. Seatbelts and clips are fully visible.

This is off the NCT website which pretty much covers it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Do a quick walk around and check all the bulbs are working (including number plate lighting), would be a bummer to fail on something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

AFAIK they will fail you on an empty windowscreen washer tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Tyre pressure, oil/water, all bulbs working are really important.
    Other ones that you might forget are the fastening of the seatbelts (untwist any that are twisted!), clearing of personal belongings. Also if you have any sharp parts on the car after any damage, they'll fail you on that too.

If it's a jap import you may want to drive the bollox off it on your way to the NCT centre in order to lower your emissions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

biko wrote: »
    Remove hubcaps
    A clean car looks better (although it shouldn't affect anything)

I have mine on Sat as well so should i remove them and leave them at home or whack them in the boot? I still dont understand why the hubcaps have to be removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Riche670

Did you get a letter to notify you that your car is due it's NCT?

Sorry, off topic I know. My NCT is slightly overdue, I'm going to book it online, but I was expecting some kind of letter/communication?

Riche670 wrote: »
    Did you get a letter to notify you that your car is due it's NCT?

Sorry, off topic I know. My NCT is slightly overdue, I'm going to book it online, but I was expecting some kind of letter/communication?

No i got no letter just know as per my NCT disc that it is up at the end of July so rang them and got a booking date so you have to contact them yourselves it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mont wrote: »
    I still dont understand why the hubcaps have to be removed?
    So that wheels and lugs can be inspected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Riche670

Mont wrote: »
    No i got no letter just know as per my NCT disc that it is up at the end of July so rang them and got a booking date so you have to contact them yourselves it seems

I find that odd... they send you reminders and final reminders about your tax renewal :rolleyes:

Sorry to pester you, but did you need any info other than Reg number and date of registration?

Riche670 wrote: »
    I find that odd... they send you reminders and final reminders about your tax renewal :rolleyes:

Sorry to pester you, but did you need any info other than Reg number and date of registration?

Nope that was all i needed when i rang - i too get reminders about my tax but nothing for my NCT

Advertisement