Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my Xbox breaking?

• 16-07-2008 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone else has encountered a problem like this - it's happened to me twice recently.

What I really want to know is if my graphics card is on the blink or what? I've seen videos on you tube of broken graphics cards [ http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aLhb0BbYIto ] and its not like that at all.

The first instance was I was playing GTA 4, put down the controller and left NIKO standing on the street while I went out to make tea - Came back in and it was raining in Liberty City, but (and this is as best I can describe it) where the rain textures should have been on the ground, walls, nikos clothes, cars etc etc.. there was just blue speckles everywhere. Shimmering blue speckles.

I shrugged it off that time, turned off xbox, went back to it a few days later and all was well. That was about 4 weeks ago. Played a lot since then and hail, rain, or shine, everything was fine.

Yesterday I started up the xbox, got into the game, and within 5 minutes the rain set in again as I was driving down the street..again..blue speckles. Concerned, I went back to the dashboard, started up the game again - this time there was no rain but blue speckles on all the textures. I logged out and started up the GRID demo - it seemed to be fine - till I looked closer and could see this blue shimmer all over the textures (it was a lot less noticable in GRID).
    I turned off the xbox, turned it back on an hour later and everything was fine again (except for the fact that it wouldnt turn on from the controller, I had to power it on by the button for some reason - how stone age!)

So, to ask again - Is my graphics card slowing frying itself - or is this just somesorta software issue?

Sorry for the essay ;) hope someone can shed some light on my blue rain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Rainyface

Sounds like you have a similar problem I had. I noticed that when I started to turn the machine on it was fine, but after a few minutes the screen changed to almost like a negative of a photograph (difficult to explain) - Called microsoft and they said it wasnt covered under the extended warranty but I eventually talked them into taking a look at it - They sent me a new one - Graphics card was fried!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

Ah, well, that's not good news for me

1) because I'm definitely out of warranty, got it two years ago and it was preowned

2) because I don't want it to be fried :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

gavinjc wrote: »
    Ah, well, that's not good news for me

1) because I'm definitely out of warranty, got it two years ago and it was preowned

2) because I don't want it to be fried :(

have you started by eliminating the obvious first? Reset all your settings, make sure video cable is plugged in properly and try and borrow someone elses cable and try that out.

I checked my cables alright, nice and tight, the only other person I know with an xbox has the HDMI out, I dont have it on mine so can't try any others. - Good point though, I'll ask around the office.

What settings is it that I should reset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

I think your Xbox has "a rendezvous with death" :pac:

(I hope someone got that...)

• Advertisement

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    I think your Xbox has "a rendezvous with death" :pac:

(I hope someone got that...)

Not me, sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Dont mind me so... :o

Good look with your 360.