Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on fixed IP with Broadband

Options
  • 16-07-2008 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

Im wondering if anyone can clear this up for me.

If i have broadband from either Eircom or BT...do i have a unique fixed IP.

For example, if i go to a site like http://www.getIP.com/ and the site returns an IP number...is this my unique IP number when using broadband. I know that when using dial up the IP was dynamically assigned...so im wondering if with broadband do u always have ur own IP.

Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lambchops

Eircom and BT provide dynamic IP address on their non-business broadband packages. Although in practice because of the nature of broadband it will rarely change, but i wouldn't bank on it always being the same.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Generally Business ISP's only give static IP's as home users don't need them there's no advantage to giving them to home users.

Some home ISP's like UTV allow you to gert a static IP for a monthly fee

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you WANT a static IP then use a Dynamic DNS provider like dyndns.org
    Set up an account and then put the account settings in your router (if it has an option).
    It is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lambchops

Saruman wrote: »
    If you WANT a static IP then use a Dynamic DNS provider like dyndns.org
    Set up an account and then put the account settings in your router (if it has an option).
    It is free.

That won't give you a static ip. It's called dynamic DNS for a reason and that reason is that the DNS records are dynamic so when your ip address changes the records change. DNS records normally don't change unless you log onto your hosting providers server and update the records yourself.

The likes of dyndns.org is a service to provide those without a static ip the same ability to host there own web, ftp or e-mail servers as those with a static ip.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

lambchops wrote: »
    That won't give you a static ip. It's called dynamic DNS for a reason and that reason is that the DNS records are dynamic so when your ip address changes the records change. DNS records normally don't change unless you log onto your hosting providers server and update the records yourself.

The likes of dyndns.org is a service to provide those without a static ip the same ability to host there own web, ftp or e-mail servers as those with a static ip.
    I never said it would give you a static IP, i simply told him what to use instead of paying for an actual static IP.
    Using dyndns is almost as good as having a static IP. I did not bother trying to explain what it is since the poster probably would not understand since they are asking this question in the first place.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Beware of using a fixed ip or dyndns ip addresses on BT Broadband.

There is a pretty major flaw in the voyager 2110(possibly others, i havent checked) router that they give out. While you can disable remote access to the router, the initial web interface will always show up whith the same screen as if you view 194.168.1.1 from the lan.

Basically anybody that knows your ip address can find out your bt username, password and can disconnect your router's dsl connection all remotely. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 kieran75

thanks for all info...that makes it a lot clearer...i now see i can get a static IP under the business BB package...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just out of curiosity, why do you want one?

I'vebeen using dyndns for years with my dynamic IP address to host a website, for FTP and remote access in several different forms and it works perfectly.

all you need is a router compatible with dyndns (lots of them are) or a PC that's on all the time and a little client you can get from dyndns themselves which updates their records whenever your IP address changes.

I'm just wondering why anyone would pay for a static IP when you can do all the same things with a dynamic one. I guess I'm just nosey. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

vibe666 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering why anyone would pay for a static IP when you can do all the same things with a dynamic one. I guess I'm just nosey. ;)

Wouldn't there be some lag while your new IP copies around the DNS servers? If your IP changes now and updates Dynamic DNS it'll take a few hours before it copies around the internet which means some users will think your site is down. Or am I totally wrong there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Wouldn't there be some lag while your new IP copies around the DNS servers? If your IP changes now and updates Dynamic DNS it'll take a few hours before it copies around the internet which means some users will think your site is down. Or am I totally wrong there?
    DNS servers around the world redirects to the dyndns servers, which inturn redirect you to your own ip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

jmccrohan wrote: »
    DNS servers around the world redirects to the dyndns servers, which inturn redirect you to your own ip

I understand that. But it's not instantaneous. The changes have to replicate around. I don't think every DNS request goes through the Dynamic DNS servers when you make a DNS request. Dynamic DNS has to replicate its changes up. This can take up to 24 hours.

Edit: For clarification have a look at the diagram here.
    http://www.comptechdoc.org/independent/networking/cert/netdns.html

For me to resolve a .com address my machine could be checking one of a thousand DNS servers. If that .com DNS server hasn't been updated with my IP address change then my machine is going to receive the old address.

indeed, tis instant.

as soon as your client/router informs dyndns of your new IP address they will redirect any DNS requests to it. it's totally transparent to anyone using it once you have it set up (which takes about 2 minutes).

they even do a sub-domain totally for free if you don't want to purchase your own domain name.

I had one for a year, but decided it wasn't worth the cost so now I'm just using mydomain.homelinux.net, but they have dozens to choose from.

I understand that. But it's not instantaneous. The changes have to replicate around. I don't think every DNS request goes through the Dynamic DNS servers when you make a DNS request. Dynamic DNS has to replicate its changes up. This can take up to 24 hours.

Edit: For clarification have a look at the diagram here.
    http://www.comptechdoc.org/independent/networking/cert/netdns.html

For me to resolve a .com address my machine could be checking one of a thousand DNS servers. If that .com DNS server hasn't been updated with my IP address change then my machine is going to receive the old address.
    It's analoguous to having a .htaccess file set up on your domain to redirect. When you update your ip address with dyndns, they rewrite the .htaccess. Hence instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

As far as I remember there's a one or two minute cache time by default with dyndns domains. It's pretty quick but not instant :)

still, i think it's more than enough for most people and I've never actually lost my domain in the last several years of using dyndns as far as i can remember.

Moriarty wrote: »
    As far as I remember there's a one or two minute cache time by default with dyndns domains. It's pretty quick but not instant :)

Haha.. You know what i mean.. Big difference between 24hours and 3mins

I don't know where you are but if you're in the south of the country, Permanet provide static IP addresses on business accounts upon request. A few years ago they allowed me to subscribe to a business package with static IP even though I was a home user so that might work.

Advertisement