Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Claiming Windscreen Replacement on Insurance

Options
  • 16-07-2008 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Noticed a crack in my windshield a few weeks ago and it's getting bigger per week. Just copped a guy from Autoglass outside and asked him what the procedure is.

He said just give them a ring and they do it all through the insurance company.

Any body know what exactly the procedure is? Is this right?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

You need to check if you have windscreen cover on your policy. If you do, then yes, the insurance company will replace your windscreen without it affecting your NCB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

I have windscreen cover alright. The guy said they deal with the insurance company I don't have to go near them. Just want to make sure that's correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Ay Cee wrote: »
    I have windscreen cover alright. The guy said they deal with the insurance company I don't have to go near them. Just want to make sure that's correct.

Yep, he's right - they'll just send the bill straight to your insurer, you won't have to give them a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Ay Cee wrote: »
    Noticed a crack in my windshield a few weeks ago and it's getting bigger per week. Just copped a guy from Autoglass outside and asked him what the procedure is.

He said just give them a ring and they do it all through the insurance company.

Any body know what exactly the procedure is? Is this right?

Cheers.

Yup, once you have windscreen cover just drop the car into Autoglass (or whoever else) and they will take care of everything from there. They replace the window hand the car back to you and then put in a claim against your insurance.

Your insurance company will send you the check for the windscreen and you pass it on to Autoglass then. This is to make sure they have actually replaced your window and not just read your insurance disc on the street and put in a claim:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your insurance company will send you the check for the windscreen and you pass it on to Autoglass then. This is to make sure they have actually replaced your window and not just read your insurance disc on the street and put in a claim:D

That didn't happen to me. It was all taken care of by the window company and the insurance company.

I rang the insurance company and asked for the name of their window company. Then rang the window company and arranged a time and date. No more interaction. Simple and easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Great. I had a horrible feeling it was going to be a very painful experience. Thanks peeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Conar

Make sure you ring your insurance company and ask them in case they use one specific window company.
    Quinn Direct do that IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

dudara wrote: »
    That didn't happen to me. It was all taken care of by the window company and the insurance company.

I rang the insurance company and asked for the name of their window company. Then rang the window company and arranged a time and date. No more interaction. Simple and easy.

Exactly the same for me - it was as easy as it could get. They came out to my office, replaced it and that was the last I heard.

I can't remember the two companies I was told I could go with, but whoever I used in the end was really good - it was a perfect match for the old screen.

Just remember that you're supposed to wait a while before driving, while the adhesive sets, and also that you double check that all parking permits and whatnot have been transferred over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Does it genuinely not affect your NCB? What's the small print like on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I just got my renewal and there was absolutely no mention of it on my NCB certificate. I also asked my insurer explicitly if there were any implications whatsoever and they said no. Edit - that's for my policy though, so well worth having a quick read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

I replaced my front windscreen last year in August and didn't affect my no claim bonus at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I notice glass breakage is always recorded on the policy as the last claim but it doesnt seem to affect cost of policy. I wonder though if I was moving insurance company, would the claim cause problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Does it genuinely not affect your NCB? What's the small print like on this one?
    Yes it can affect your NCB. You do have to check the small print on this one.

Have more than one replacement in 3 years with some companies and next thing you know your renewal premium could be nearly doubled.
    Some companies do charge an excess for windscreens.

Happened to me, had a stone breakage and a side window a few years later(attempted theft) both replaced. My renewal arrived, almost double and no reason. Told me because I had 2 windscreen claims in 3 years, lost most of no-claims (I have protected so whats the point) Said it would make no difference if I moved company. Refused to budge until eventually one person told me I was allowed one windscreen and one fire/theft.

Luckily I had reported the break-in. So I was able to get them to reverse the increase. It took a hell of an effort and wasnt until I managed to speak to one sane person in the company that I was able to find what exactly happened so that I could prove them wrong.

Advertisement