Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another positive test...

Options
  • 16-07-2008 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

:mad:

Idiot....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/7509091.stm

Spanish rider Nevado fails test
    Moises Duenas Nevado
    Nevado was immediately suspended by his team Barloworld

Spanish rider Moises Duenas Nevado has tested positive for EPO, according to the head of the French anti-doping agency, Pierre Bordry.

The Barloworld team cyclist was found to have used the banned blood booster during the Tour de France on 8 July.

"We have notified Moises Duenas Nevado that he had tested positive for EPO after the fourth stage," Bordry said.

Duenas Nevado has been detained by French police after an apparent raid at his team's base in Tarbes.

"I am stunned," said Barloworld team manager Claudio Corti in a statement.

"I want to go deeper in this story before telling something definitive and planning our next actions.

"The one thing I can certainly state, by now, is that the team is not involved in this story at all, and our will is to hardly sanction any fact that damages our credibility and image."

The statement also said the rider had been immediately suspended by the team and withdrawn from the 11th stage of the Tour.

He is the second Spanish rider to test positive for the drug this year after veteran Liquigas rider Manuel Beltran was sent home following a positive test after the first stage.

Duenas Nevado was sitting in 19th place overall in this year's Tour after the first 10 stages.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Apparently a police search found drugs in his room too.

I surprised that two guys now have been done for EPO considering how strict they are on testing now and given that there are new drugs around like Dynepo that are more difficult to detect and (as far as I can make out) still not on the WADA list of banned substances.

Wondering too if he, like Beltran, was on that list of ten riders who showed 'unusual' blood profiles following pre-Tour testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

The worrying thing is the fact that I think he is relativly young (26ish?) and that it's not just the older pros willing to risk it - agree re EPO....got what he deserved...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

el tonto wrote: »
    I surprised that two guys now have been done for EPO considering how strict they are on testing now and given that there are new drugs around like Dynepo that are more difficult to detect and (as far as I can make out) still not on the WADA list of banned substances. .

Dynepo is just a form of EPO that is synthesised from human cells. Supposedy it's not dectable in a urine test but I have read conflicting reports.
    rEPO is detectable in urine if taken in the previous 48hrs and potentially up to 6-7 days depending on the person.
    The worrying thing is the fact that I think he is relativly young
    Sad but not surprising (for me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Fion_McCool

The old "no dope, no hope" attitude in pro cycling seems to be dying - but not soon enough !

How many more before the tour ends ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mtbr hylo

Apparently mass spec. can now distinguish between synthetic and natural epo..........maybe the labs are finally catching up.

Do you think the olympics will carry out as many tests on athletes - me thinks not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

mtbr hylo wrote: »
    Apparently mass spec. can now distinguish between synthetic and natural epo..........maybe the labs are finally catching up.
    yea but you can dope with "natural" EPO too, that's the drug el tonto was talking about.

mtbr hylo wrote: »

Do you think the olympics will carry out as many tests on athletes - me thinks not.

Your the nerdy phd chemist so get your finger out Hylo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Damn, this is one that changes the complexion of the Tour. It also puts a stain on this year's Giro. You'd think that he would settle for having a naturally high haemocrit of 51%. Obviously not...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Frig it anyway.

• Advertisement

such a high profile (and young) rider....disaster....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Damn he was in my team.
    on the plus side though, i now have 8 million to spend!
    The entire saunier team is out:http://www.letour.fr/2008/TDF/LIVE/us/1200/depeches.html#122006

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry.

that's it. i'm done. enough is enough.

Yeah, the team's out. Lots of rumours floating around.

Ricco was also one of the riders identified in pre-tour blood profiling.

kenmc wrote: »
    Damn he was in my team.
    on the plus side though, i now have 8 million to spend!
    The entire saunier team is out:http://www.letour.fr/2008/TDF/LIVE/us/1200/depeches.html#122006

You'de have to have question marks over Piepoli and Cobo aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

If those 2 Saunier boys finished first and second in the mountain top stage the other day, is their result overturned? Does Frank Schleck now come first and get a time bonus?

Is anyone else completely gutted by this?

Apart from Tom, obviously.

I just don't get how they think they can get away with it.... After Astana were excluded, you'd *think* they'd have the cop on to know that the testing was still going to be done, and with a heavy hand for those found doped...

niceonetom wrote: »
    F..FU..UC..CK..K!..!

sorry.

that's it. i'm done. enough is enough.
    In that case then, can I have your bike?:D

Malari wrote: »
    If those 2 Saunier boys finished first and second in the mountain top stage the other day, is their result overturned? Does Frank Schleck now come first and get a time bonus?

No time bonuses in this years tour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Lads how are you surprised?? Saun Duv were clearly doping. Like come on. Ricco was doing wreck he was clearly on the juice.

Riding away from everyone. Delighted he got caught. Doubt he will get suspended though. He has not tested positive. I knew he looked gutted on the podium getting his mountians jersey the last few days.

The rest of that team is dodge. Look at all the stage wins

dedon wrote: »
    Lads how are you surprised?? Saun Duv were clearly doping. Like come on. Ricco was doing wreck he was clearly on the juice.

Riding away from everyone. Delighted he got caught. Doubt he will get suspended though. He has not tested positive. I knew he looked gutted on the podium getting his mountians jersey the last few days.

The rest of that team is dodge. Look at all the stage wins

It's disappointment rather than surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

In terms of my fantasy TdF team I'm pissed, cos he was my guarantee of good bonus point on Alpe D'Huez.

In terms of cycling -I'm gutted. It explains why Ricco won his stages so easily and looked so fresh, but I was just warmiing to him a little -such a talent and he throws it all away. I'm glad Saunier have withdrawn, but it really dents my enjoyment of this years tour now :(

Oh wait. Its EPO. Must have been Micro dosing, The test is meant to be imrpoved this year.

I am not one bit surprised. You could tell by the way he was riding. Typical Spanish team

did he really have talent??? EPO is not talent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

well maybe they should let everyone do epo and make it even

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Have you read anything about Ricco in cycling magazines over the last few months the guy was an A**hole. He refered to certain cyclist in the peleton as Vegtables saying that other riders were doing all the work for the them.

I'm not suprised he got caught.

At least i took him off my Fantasty tour de France team last night

Raam wrote: »
    Is anyone else completely gutted by this?

In fairness, it isn't that surprising. If you asked me before the Tour which one of the big names was the most likely fall afoul, he would have been near top of my list. There's been a lot of gossip about him.
    kenmc wrote: »
    I just don't get how they think they can get away with it.... After Astana were excluded, you'd *think* they'd have the cop on to know that the testing was still going to be done, and with a heavy hand for those found doped...

This story provides an interesting insight. Apparently he tested positive for CERA. It was rumoured that a lot of pros are using this because it was thought to be undetectable. There might be a lot of very nervous guys in the peloton today.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I can't believe this.
    Another Tour completely ruined.
    These so-called sportsmen have no regard for themselves, their sport or their fans.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Its thanks to the new testing by the French authority . Not the UCI as it was before. Ya thats meant to be kind of undectable. That was because he blood was 52% they finally found what was casuing it.

ITs great they can test for that now but its too late it has been used for the last few years.

There will be more positive tests I feel.

Advertisement