Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another positive test...

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Listening to and reading some stuff yesterday, what was brought up is that if it was CERA that Ricco used, there's no WADA test for it. So it could be that he's been kicked off for criminal proceedings, but may have a case to fight a ban if it's true about the WADA sanctioned test...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

This anti-doping program adopted by Team CSC Saxo Bank is quite impressive and is obviously the way to go for cycling. It seems to be a lot more rigorous that the UCI 'biological passport' with all tests being taken unannounced.
    Thank you for the link.

It is also heartening to see that Team CSC Saxo Bank are 04' 49" ahead of their nearest rivals with these anti-doping measures and on top of the TdF team rankings today.
    Yeah it seems really really thorough. Hard to imagine going to such lengths. Way forward for the governing bodies and all teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

Diarmuid wrote: »

great link Diarmuid...some v.interestin reading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Piepoli fired by SDV along with Ricco - both for doping offences - wonder will there be any other revelations from them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Seems so retarded taking drugs in this day n age...

I'd disagree to a certain extent. Suspect riders are still winning a lot of the big races. The difference between being a top twenty candidate and a race winner is enormous. It's worth millions in terms of salaries and sponsorship, not to mention ego gratification. If guys think they aren't going to get caught, a lot of them will still do it. What's been coming out in the past few days indicates that Ricco may have thought he was taking an undetectable drug. Therefore for him, the risk seemed minimal and well worth it.

The story of how Ricco was caught is interesting. Apparently, the Italians noticed something about Ricco's samples during the Giro, but couldn't pin it on him, but did let the French authorities know about it and give them time to work on testing.

If other riders were operating on the same assumption as Ricco, we could be seeing a good few more go down in the next few days. Ricco's test positive apparently dates from the TT, but the fact that they can test for CERA only came out yesterday. So we've had a good few stages and a rest day (which is traditionally seen as a point for 'refuelling') in between.

All of this looks like really good news. They've gone from a situation of trying to keep pace with the dopers to one where they are pre-empting their moves and been smart enough to pull some surprises on them.

We're tantalisingly close to getting a real breakthrough. Only a few years ago I'd suspect the majority of the peloton was doping. Now I'd say that's down to less than half. The French teams are known to be largely clean for the past few years (with one or two exceptions like Moreni). Now we've got a few of of the Anglophone/Northern European teams instituting their own anti-doping programmes. Two of them I find largely credible. Another I'd believe is mostly effective, but I someitmes have doubts about one or two of their riders. A fourth team I don't believe for a minute.

That still leaves a large number of teams, mostly from Mediterranean countries where there's reason to believe that a hard core of riders are still at it. In the case of a few of these teams, I wouldn't be surprised at all if I found out there was an institutionalised doping programme, i.e. done with the collusion of management.

Incidentally, there's a rumour going around that two riders on one of the 'clean teams' are being tested heavily after numbering among the suspect blood profiles taken at the beginning of the Tour. Both are well known and have a lot of fans. I really hope it isn't true, because if these guys went down, it would be a real disaster and destroy a lot of the faith people have in the new system.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Piepoli fired by SDV along with Ricco - both for doping offences - wonder will there be any other revelations from them?

I wonder what his grounds for dismissal were. You can't fire someone on a hunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

el tonto wrote: »
    Incidentally, there's a rumour going around that two riders on one of the 'clean teams' are being tested heavily after numbering among the suspect blood profiles taken at the beginning of the Tour. Both are well known and have a lot of fans. I really hope it isn't true, because if these guys went down, it would be a real disaster and destroy a lot of the faith people have in the new system.

Who is the rumour about?

I think it's unfair to name people based on rumours alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

el tonto wrote: »
    I think it's unfair to name people based on rumours alone.

Where'd you hear it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Ah lads - after reading all the stories online throughout the day I get home to watch the recorded live coverage and the eurosport commentary. Who's sitting there in the studio giving out about doping? Sean fcuking Yates...

I thought much the same myself Aidan.
    EDIT: Meant to say that I cringed listening to Roche on that subject. Why did Yates irk you so much? Was it cause of Astana? I don't know that much about him.

In the meantime, David Millar is continuing on from last years antics with more of the same hypocritical nonsense.

"It is bull****... I think it's unfortunate that when things look too good to be true, generally they are too good to be true - and he did look pretty f***ing good," Millar told Cyclingnews. "It is just amazing that he is that irresponsible and doesn't have any love or care for the sport."

Could a person be anymore arrogant?:mad:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Fion_McCool

Diarmuid wrote: »

Excellent article, thank you again Diarmuid...

It is interesting to read how the recent cheaters were caught, when the so called "undetectable" third generation EPO drug Micera was detectable after all.

It's great to see that WADA are getting proactive and beginning to work with drug companies to detect potential doping agents prior to those substances becoming available. That alone should put the frighteners on some idiots who are considering doping.

And the bottom line "Like it or not, athletes will continue to dope until the benefits of riding clean outweigh the benefits of doping."

The cost/benefit analysis for doping must be skewed more strongly in favour of riding clean. That is why I favour the whole team being thrown out if any individual is caught doping. The cheaters will not only be letting themselves down but they will also be wrecking the chances for all their teammates.

The teams, and every individual in them, will have the best reason in the world to police themselves... self preservation.

Advertisement