Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Student Mastercard Credit Limit Increase

Options
  • 16-07-2008 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Anyone know if it is possible to get the credit limit increased on an AIB Student Mastercard, even temporarily for a month or two? I am going over to the U.S. for a few weeks and the current €600 credit limit isn't the best. It says somewhere that you can use Internet Banking to apply for a credit limit increase, but when I view my credit card options on Internet Banking, there is no option to increase the credit limit. I have had the card for a year now, and always pay off the balances in full at the end of each month.

Would I be better off ringing the credit card section of AIB directly or going into my local bank? If they are willing to increase the credit limit, will they suggest a new limit or let me choose?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Ring number on the back of the card and ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I don't think they can suggest a limit - you have to request one and then they will approve or decline it. Something about encouraging debt and what not.

But yah, ring them. It is possible (I've done it personally) but I did it online (tons of times - every 6 months).

An alternative is to "topup" your credit card. Put some money on to it before you go so it's in credit. This gives you more for buying stuff. It's not covered by your travel insurance or against fraud etc though. Also doesn't help if you actually need this as a means of getting a quick/easy loan and don't have the cash to top it up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

With my student mastercard, while on internet banking it used to give the option of increasing my limit, and if i clicked on it, i would be told if it could be increased or not. If it could be increased, it told me the highest it could be increased to. If you don't have this option on internet banking, ring the bank cos i can't see it being a problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

if you have online banking you can request an increase there. as mentioned you can "top up" your card, which will suit you if you have the cash :)
    again as mentioned, call them :P you can request a decrease in your limit too if you increase it.

Advertisement