Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sources of benchmark tests on power desktops?

Options
  • 16-07-2008 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

My main work is with Excel workbooks with lots of VBA, and I want them faster.

OTTOMH something like a quad core, 4 or 8GB, 64 bit Vista, 10000 or 15000rpm hard disk.

I can see choices like locally built Computer City, or Dell Vostro or Precision.

However, what is not clear to me is what I am really getting in these.

Are there published benchmarks that can show *how much* an improvement a Precision T5400 for 2000 euro is over a T3400 for 1500 or a Vostro for 1000?

TIA

Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The last few performance points always cost a LOT more money.

Is excel well threaded? If not you'd be better off getting a faster dual core than a quad. Check solid state drives also. OCZ have some decent performing ones for very reasonable money.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

Thanks, Khannie.
    I hadn't considered that option. Boards poster Chosen reported on 3-July OCZ Core 32Gb SSD - €141 plus shipping (altho currently out of stock), and a special symbol (!) against OCZUK.

Excel 2007 I believe is threaded, but I also run 2003 and others.

Thanks,

Patrick

Advertisement