Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The state of Drawda Pubs, an analysis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Great thread! Anyone remember the Sunshine Bar down along the quays? Opposite where Scotch Hall is now ;)

Ah yes . great years spent at the sunshine bar or down the ramparts... onward progression then to Benny Flanagans upstairs for pool or the Linen Hall.
    I remember celebrating my junior cert results propped up at the bar in the Linen Hall!
    Great days,

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

I had my first pint in Benny Flanagans (I wont say at what age!)...and watched Ireland v Italy in the World Cup in 94 in the Linen Hall. Ah Drawda nostalgia!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Bensons
    Ah Benny Flanagans indeed, upstairs you'd go with your pint for some pool lest the barman realise you were under age and take it back!!

Would love to do a posthumous ode to Newfoundwell's finest niteclub....Chu Chu's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I had my first pint in Benny Flanagans (I wont say at what age!)...and watched Ireland v Italy in the World Cup in 94 in the Linen Hall. Ah Drawda nostalgia!

I was in the linen hall the night of the Ireland V Italy world cup match,
    Out the back place , sitting on the left hand side as you walked in the door, mad the things i can remember from years ago, remember drinking pints of Hudson cider.. it was on special offer round that time..
    Remember the owner Denis.. decent bloke..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Darlie

Ah Denis!
    Used to serve us pints and pies on a Saturday afternoon but made sure we were off the premises before the door staff arrived for the evening!!

Can't remember the name of the fields we finished the night off in with a six pack of LCL Pils!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Started my drinkin career in Drogheda. The Horse & Hound. Dunno what its called now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Was Benny's for me too, used to have a CAN of bulmers, always a sign of a class act when you can your booze in cans :D And the pool table and jukebox in back, ah some fond memories of that place back in the day.

And sure Bennys was only a hop from the sunshine :)

Some others for the list that i haven't been to in an age, Reds, O'sheas, Mother Hughes. McGuinness's, Barney Mac's

Who remembers Tastles (Abbey Tavern) ah good times good times, was always on the list of places to go if they copped you were under age elsewhere :D then on to goodfella's for the late one and a curry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Darlie

Goodfellas on a Monday night. The place to go to find yourself a wife. Shame it was always someone else's wife though!!

Was in the clubhouse of Boyne Rugby Club there recently on a visit back to Drogland. Its a bit out of the way, granted, but easily the best Guinness I've tasted in years, grand crowd (not rugby heads, in case anyone has an aversion!), bit of sport on the box and, ahem, no problem staying a wee while after the designated closing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Yeah the Rugby Club is a hidden gem - or at least it used to be. :pac: Agreed about the pints, some of the best Guinness in town. Decent crowd, mix of both young and old nowadays but not the usual arses you find in rugby bars! €3.50 all pints on a Saturday night a few weeks ago - I'm not sure if that's permanent now.

What do people think of the new look O'Shea's on Narrow West St? It's now called "Shooters" and has one of the worst looking pub fronts I have ever seen, bright yellow, looks like a pound shop..just looks awful.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

What do people think of the new look O'Shea's on Narrow West St? It's now called "Shooters" and has one of the worst looking pub fronts I have ever seen, bright yellow, looks like a pound shop..just looks awful.:mad:

And associated by the same type of customer I dare say ;)

Blimey, haven't been over there in quite some time, been 2 years since i was in it, but even then i was 26 id say , i felt like i was at a kiddy disco :D

Bensons
    It looks terrible. I would imagine that they only serve blue and green drinks there.

It's only redeeming factor is that it could be transformed into a Hooters by a dash of blue paint and a daring bar manager. :D

I was in it a couple of Sundays back because An Garda Siochana decided to close every other pub in town at 11 o clock! It's almost as bad on the inside as it looks on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

It's only redeeming factor is that it could be transformed into a Hooters by a dash of blue paint and a daring bar manager. :D

:D Very good ...maybe that's their intention eventually. I remember when it used to be squires with the stairs in the middle,,,,,They should have left it alone. Have been in there once or twice in the last few years....Not drawing the crowds like it used to.
    Another great pub...The Weavers...Why didn't they leave it the hell alone. It was a great spot. Front bar and then mini dance floor in the back. Had some rockin' nights in there I tell thee. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

I love the "too cool for school" Zoolander poses that some of the barmen
    in McPhails pull.

"I'll serve you when I'm ready, commoner"

"Yes, I have been approached about being a male model before"

"I like to wear my rugby shirt with the collars up. This means I'm cool.
    You're not cool. I am."

The Asian lads have shaken things up a bit, no messing, quick service always.

Oh and the 10 year old grafitti on the back of the door in the gents cubicle
    always makes me feel like I'm home at Christmas.

Great post Barney about the McPhails barmen/prettyboys...I've been going there for years and still its the same: collars up, serve their mates and people who they play rugby with ahead of you, serve the pretty girls ahead of you (ok you can give them this one I suppose!) and STILL when they do serve you they manage to be the most stuck up, miserable tw*ts around the place. Like you should feel privileged for them actually doing their job. Mini rant over :).

To be honest, I think McPhails is the still best bar in the town.

I mean I've seen maybe 2 fights in the place in 15 years.

The doormen are very professional, and they keep the skobies out.

It must be tough with the Laurences Inn across the street. I remember
    when that place was famous for the best pool tables in Drogheda,
    and the great sports atmosphere every weekend.
    Now look at the state of it. all in my opinion of course.

And the Cellars, that was some spot. You couldn't be heard by your friend
    3 feet away if you shouted at the top of your voice in there on a good night.

I remember "The Castle" the high seats in the cellars that were up a bit
    from the rest of the place.

The Portrait of John Lennon, it was a wood carving or inlay piece I
    seem to remember.

Was there a Thin Lizzy poster down on one of the walls down at the very
    bottom? By this area I mean the two small tables that were on your
    left as you came in from the upstairs.

There was a 5p piece stuck over the tap on one of the radiators there as well.

And the red light in the doorway down beside the jacks. You went there
    for a chat, or if you wanted to sing like a mad yoke. That was just up
    the steps from the wall with all the bottles in it.

I bet that if they brought the cellars back to it's former glory, and cleaned out the
    Laurences back to a safe friendly sports bar, they'd have a licence to print money.

Think of all us grown ups who'd love to go back to the Cellars for a bit
    of recession-busting headbanging to Metallica. :p

You'd have to simulate the smoke now, what with the smoking ban and all.:p

I really like Clarkes at the top of Peter Street. It's a great place to go on a date to talk,
    or a quiet read of the paper or a book of an afternoon.

Remember Brannigans, up the street from Clarkes? Only went there a few
    times as a teenager, but it was a really nice place. Oh, and they had
    the Brannigan's Snug next door. That was a big deal back in the day:

"Look it's a mini-pub beside another pub, and it's got a fireplace and
    big comfy seats in it, Wow!"
    :p

I just remembered another one - Dicey Rileys

This was where O'Sheas / Drumms / Squirers / Shooters was
    back in the late 80's to early 90's.

I was only a kid then, but I remember hearing it was a slaughterhouse,
    a really tough pub. That reminds me of my favourite tough pub joke
    courtsey of Mr. Tom O'Connor:

"My local is really rough. We had a pub quiz last week and the first
    question was, "What are you looking at?" :)

Back to today's town - Dolan's Corner
    Winner for worst and most mortally dangerous licenced premisis in town?
    Again, in my own opinon.

If that traffic island across on the hill could talk, I'd say it would be able to
    tell you some stories of hand-to-hand armed and unarmed combat between
    Drogheda's good citizens. Good job it's close to the hospital.

There's always some random geezer outside on a mobile phone shouting:
    "I'M ONLY HAVING A FEW, I'LL BE HOME WHEN I'M F*CKING HOME!"

or

"FINE! GO TO YOUR F*CKING MOTHER'S!"

Bensons
    I love the "too cool for school" Zoolander poses that some of the barmen
    in McPhails pull.

"I'll serve you when I'm ready, commoner"

"Yes, I have been approached about being a male model before"

"I like to wear my rugby shirt with the collars up. This means I'm cool.
    You're not cool. I am."

The Asian lads have shaken things up a bit, no messing, quick service always.

Oh and the 10 year old grafitti on the back of the door in the gents cubicle
    always makes me feel like I'm home at Christmas.

Big style!! ****. I find it amusing though that these barmen imagine themselves to be really cool.

Big praise for the asian lads , but just you wait till they develop a thick Drawwwwwwda accent and learn how to pop their collars :D

• Advertisement

Further evidence that McPhails barmen are the coolest kids in town:

I walk by the place yesterday, and there's a photo montage celebrating
    the birthday of one of the barmen. You know, photos of him as a kid,
    photos of him working being the bar, in funny costume etc.

It's the sort of thing you see at most pub function room birthday
    partys these days. Embarrasing and funny pics of the birthday person.

But, in McPhails you don't put it inside the pub on the wall like
    anyone else, no, you put in the front window so all the plebs
    of the town can marvel at your coolness.

This is all in the best possible fun / sneering mode. And all in my own
    opinon. I went to school with a few of the McPhails staff, and I hope
    they're getting a good laugh out of reading this :)

On a more scientific note, you often hear people complaining that you
    should close certian pubs like the Central or Dolan's Corner. I disagree.

If you close these places, then the population of lunatics that go there
    (in my opinon) will spread out in search of a new premisis to colonise.

This would result in many of them chancing their arm to get into nice pubs like McPhails or
    Clarkes, or your local. This is known as the Skobie Scattering Shockwave or SSS.

There is a formula for estimating the disturbance to the status quo of a given population:

SSS = (x + y )/ zT

Where:
    x is the distance (in meters) from the Thosel refernce point.
    y is the number of taps that serve Carlsberg.
    z number of call outs per week for the garda van / ambulances
    T is the time (in hours) that children are allowed to roam the premisis beyond the legal limit of 7pm.

If the SSS is greater than a factor of 2 per square meter, you'd better get a new watering hole.
    If it is less than 2, buy your doormen a drink next time you're out.

Doormen are like sewage pipes, normall you never notice them, but when
    they don't work you quickly get covered in all kinds of horrbile sh*t.

Bensons
    Anyone heard the rumour that Moores on Sundays Gate is reopening?

I remember once getting the lend of a lighter off some gouger in Dolans Corner. I forgot to give it back and am still wary every time I walk by lest said gouger demand the lighter back. Did you know that Dolans has its own 'travellers chair' in between the lounge and the front bar?

Anyone heard the rumour that Moores on Sundays Gate is reopening?

I heard that Moore's is going to be some kind of business,
    don't know if will be a pub.

I was fortunate enough to have several great nights in Moore's with
    one of my elder uncles. Once Peggy knew you were decended from
    good people, you were welcomed with open arms.

It was a fantastic spot. LMFM's very own Dermot "Hello There" Finglas
    was often there with my uncle.

And there was the legendary cheese. Big slices of the stuff and
    creamy pints of Guinness. An open fire and a western on the telly.
    Lovely place. A real glimpse into an Ireland past.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

Moore's has had a lick of paint and is looking good now. I have to admit to hoping it was about to re-open too.
    It was the watering hole of choice for my Grandparents. I think I only got further than the 'shop' at the front once, to see the inside of this great institution, Peggy was a strict but lovely lady :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Carusos Shades

Whats happened to McHughs? Went in there recently and it was dead as Dillinger.

Whats happened to McHughs? Went in there recently and it was dead as Dillinger.

I went into McHughs on Friday night a few weeks back and there was less than 10 of us in the place. I remember when I came here back in 03/04 it was hopping every Friday night. Shame, cos it's a decent pub..

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

Drogheda Bars - although there are 70 plus pubs in Drogheda its hard to recommend any of them. I think the Black Bull is a safe bet, upstairs in Bru for the younger set, Mchughs, Glessons for the old types and gardai, the fishermans inn at Mell has potential, but one thing about Drogheda if you hate southside snobs and d4 heads, even a grand pub crawl around Drogheda will not uncover a single snob, the solicitor/ suity types gather in a tiny cluster in Mcphails on Firdays and sometimes Clarkes, where they no their nobodies but still lord it above the locals...worth a look...old ireland at its wosrt/best...( Oh their is an old Drogheda saying 'Nobody ever gets laid in Mcphails''...and it is full of the jean and jumper girls brigade ,so it could be true..,,but where else...??? Try Storm.....full of desperados

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think Gleeson’s, McPhail’s and the Mariner are all nice pubs.
    But heading the Crusoes at around 9 o’clock is a must, simply to avail of free entry to Fusion.
    That Shooters place is one of the worst things I’ve ever seen. I mean, O’Shea’s was always full of a******s, but the pub itself was very nice. And it looked like a pub, which is very important.

Bensons
    bottomdog wrote: »
    Drogheda Bars - although there are 70 plus pubs in Drogheda its hard to recommend any of them. I think the Black Bull is a safe bet, upstairs in Bru for the younger set, Mchughs, Glessons for the old types and gardai, the fishermans inn at Mell has potential, but one thing about Drogheda if you hate southside snobs and d4 heads, even a grand pub crawl around Drogheda will not uncover a single snob, the solicitor/ suity types gather in a tiny cluster in Mcphails on Firdays and sometimes Clarkes, where they no their nobodies but still lord it above the locals...worth a look...old ireland at its wosrt/best...( Oh their is an old Drogheda saying 'Nobody ever gets laid in Mcphails''...and it is full of the jean and jumper girls brigade ,so it could be true..,,but where else...??? Try Storm.....full of desperados

This is true bottomdog. Drogheda does not have many drinking holes where one would be unfortunate enough to run into 'southside snobs' and/or 'd4 heads'. I would wonder about the Black Bull however. I have gone in there a few times and it did seem to be riddled with doctors and men wearing Aran sweaters and middle aged wives that use agricultural pesticide machinery to apply their perfume.

Must agree old chap about that damned 'college crowd' that cluster on Fridays in Clarkes and McPhails, looking down their noses at the scum and filth that don't drink there and lording it over all and sundry. As for those fridgit girls that offend the eye by having the bloody cheek to wear what they like! They'll never get laid or have the purring sex kitten look of the lasses that hound the Widow Murphys of a Sunday. They must look at the sexy Britains Got Talent Auditioners outside the Hole in The Wall when they are fridgiting between Clarkes and McPhails and wonder "What am I doing wrong? Why doesn't that tattooed rake of a man with the honey coloured teeth and the criminal record fancy me??" They should be taken en masse to Shooters for a lesson in how to look sexy!! They just be laughed at in The Earth.

Must check out the Fisherman's Inn, though Mell in general always did make me uneasy...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

though Mell in general always did make me uneasy...

Ha! Could say the same about Feckin Feckin. The place is crawling with doctors, dentists and (w)bankers. ;)

The Bull has to sell the worst pints in Ireland. The locals drink bottles there and the service is equally bad imo.The restaurant is grand but that's for another thread.

Advertisement