Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The state of Drawda Pubs, an analysis

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Bensons
    Dingatron wrote: »
    Ha! Could say the same about Feckin Feckin. The place is crawling with doctors, dentists and (w)bankers. ;)

Couldn't agree more!! I'm Newfoundwell Hardcore!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

Yeah the Mariner is a really nice pub. I dont go into it enough but always good when there is a match on. I had my first pint in there in its previous incarnation (Benny Flanagans!) back in 1993. I've always had a love hate relationship with McPhails.

McPhails, Good points:
    * The Beer garden (especially in summer if its a nice evening)
    * When they get The Stone Roses Experience to play
    * Always lots of good looking (but kind of stuck up?) women.

Bad points:
    * The Barmen (see previous posts above:))
    * When they make their own queue that snakes down Laurences St..just to create the impression that the place is packed.
    * When they let regulars/Rugby players etc..skip that queue.
    * When you get a pint in the cliquey front bar and the barflies dont help or move so you can get to your pint or change.
    * Rugby!
    * Juicer
    * and dont get me started on the singer from Electric Avenue. What a prize tw*t he is.

Bensons
    Anyone been to the Widow Murphys of late? I'd like to know its still there. I've emigrated since...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

garrincha62 - I like 'good' pubs but after reading your first post I will be giving Drogheda ones a serious miss.

Bensons
    garrincha62 - I like 'good' pubs but after reading your first post I will be giving Drogheda ones a serious miss.

That's a shame. Where are you from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Whats Carberries(sp?) like?

Black Bull is nice enough if a bit of a rip off. I like Sarsfields.

Bensons
    I haven't been since it was reopened. I presume the two witchlike women and newspapered ceilings are still there. Rumour has it that there may even be a mens toilet that isn't an outside wall!

Could never abide the BB. Always felt there were too many middle aged men with opinions and sweaters.

I heard that rumor too!

Could never abide the BB. Always felt there were too many middle aged men with opinions and sweaters.
    Sounds like my Da!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

I went to school in drawwda and now live just outside.
    Went to college in Letterkenny for 4 years and I have to say without a shadow of a doubt that Letterkenny's pubs are WAY more enjoyable than Drogheda's!!
    The mad thing is, is Letterkenny is half the size of Drogheda and it wouldn't have near the amount of pubs Drogheda has.
    Yet it's Main st. pubs are a lot more friendlier, livelier and comforatble than practically ALL of the Drogheda pubs.
    Now don't get me wrong I do like Drogheda, but one thing it defintely lacks are decent pubs.
    There are a hell of a lot of cliquey ****holes in the town for the sheer amount of them...
    Favourite pubs to name a few are: Clarkes, McPhails, McHughes, Tí Chairbre & the Bull. Purple Room is probably the only decent nightclub in the town!!
    I know a lot of Drogs will look at this and say "well f*ck off back to Letterkenny then!"
    But it's just an oservation and it was also felt by any of my Drogheda mates who came up to visit me!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

But wouldn't Letterkenny be a different type of town which caters more for the student population that exists up there. Personally I think there's a good mix of decent pubs along with the one's that you darken the door. In saying that I think we'd a better selection 10 years ago when Redz/Bridie Mac's/McHuges and a few others were at the top of their game and provided live bands and other entertainment.

• Advertisement

Dingatron wrote: »
    But wouldn't Letterkenny be a different type of town which caters more for the student population that exists up there. Personally I think there's a good mix of decent pubs along with the one's that you darken the door. In saying that I think we'd a better selection 10 years ago when Redz/Bridie Mac's/McHuges and a few others were at the top of their game and provided live bands and other entertainment.

very true. The students do make Letterkenny and it's taken the locals up there a good few years to properly intergrate with them! ;)
    If Drogheda had a proper college it would be a buzzing town I reckon.
    ps. I just remembered the Linen Hall! that was a fine sport for live music!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

ps. I just remembered the Linen Hall! that was a fine sport for live music!

Ha I was going to put the Linen Hall in there too but my wife was a Boxing Club head so her definition of good live music is very different to mine. :o

Bensons
    Have any new pubs in Drawda opened in the last year perchance? Not just your usual close down and reopen under a new name after the blood stains have been painted over in some garish colour.

I heard rumour of a pub opening up in Termon Abbey ages ago. I wonder if it happened...

kormak wrote: »
    I went to school in drawwda and now live just outside.
    Went to college in Letterkenny for 4 years and I have to say without a shadow of a doubt that Letterkenny's pubs are WAY more enjoyable than Drogheda's!!
    The mad thing is, is Letterkenny is half the size of Drogheda and it wouldn't have near the amount of pubs Drogheda has.
    Yet it's Main st. pubs are a lot more friendlier, livelier and comforatble than practically ALL of the Drogheda pubs.
    Now don't get me wrong I do like Drogheda, but one thing it defintely lacks are decent pubs.
    There are a hell of a lot of cliquey ****holes in the town for the sheer amount of them...
    Favourite pubs to name a few are: Clarkes, McPhails, McHughes, Tí Chairbre & the Bull. Purple Room is probably the only decent nightclub in the town!!
    I know a lot of Drogs will look at this and say "well f*ck off back to Letterkenny then!"
    But it's just an oservation and it was also felt by any of my Drogheda mates who came up to visit me!!! :D
    Tí Chairbre, whats that like? Often been tempted to go in, tales of crazy old women out me off.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Tí Chairbre, whats that like? Often been tempted to go in, tales of crazy old women out me off.
    Well now! it's interesting to say the least...
    A lot of heads I know refer to it as "the witches" and for obvious reasons! ;)
    I don't mind it for a quiet pint of Guinness.
    Great music sessions in there... you can get a reallet ecelctic crowd or you could just get Aine at the bar chatting about Celtic warriors or something...
    don't expect any luxorious toilets now or anything... :pac:

Advertisement