Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's Penny Arcade

Options
  • 16-07-2008 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

Found here.
    I can't for the life of me figure out which companies the last two panels are. The first is obviously Microsoft but which of the last two is Sony and which is Nintendo?
    I haven't been following E3 that closely but I had a quick look at the videos of the three big presentations and Sony and Nintendo both use a blue background.
    The whole money thing makes me think the middle is Sony but why would Nintendo be complaining about needing another year when they are currently going so strong? Did they have a weak showing?
    Alternatively the last panel is Sony and they're pleading that the ps3 will eventually become the console the ps2 was at it's peak with more time?
    Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

The second panel is Reggie, President and Chief Operating Officer of Nintendo of America. I assume it's to do with the keynotes given by the three at E3, there where some news stories on how Sony claimed the PS3 was "catching up" with the Wii or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Seifer wrote: »
    Found here.
    I can't for the life of me figure out which companies the last two panels are. The first is obviously Microsoft but which of the last two is Sony and which is Nintendo?
    I haven't been following E3 that closely but I had a quick look at the videos of the three big presentations and Sony and Nintendo both use a blue background.
    The whole money thing makes me think the middle is Sony but why would Nintendo be complaining about needing another year when they are currently going so strong? Did they have a weak showing?
    Alternatively the last panel is Sony and they're pleading that the ps3 will eventually become the console the ps2 was at it's peak with more time?
    Thoughts anyone?

The order is Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Seifer wrote: »
    Found here.
    Thoughts anyone?

Did you not notice the toons have a resembelance to the the people they are portraying.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Cool Mantel, thanks for clearing that up.
    Anti wrote:
    Did you not notice the toons have a resembelance to the the people they are portraying.....
    Having flicked through the keynote videos, they all had multiple speakers. Maybe the toons do ressemble who they are portaying (although besides the grey suit the Nintendo guy doesn't particularly) but not knowing who they are, no, I didn't notice any resemblance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I love the Nintendo one. So true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've never liked Penny Arcade, but that's their first cartoon that made me giggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The order is Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony.

Really? I would have thought Sont were perceived as the big bad rich dickheads with Nintendo on the ropes after the N64 and Gamecube.

Guess theve hit back with the WI and DS.

noodler wrote: »
    Really? I would have thought Sont were perceived as the big bad rich dickheads with Nintendo on the ropes after the N64 and Gamecube.

Guess theve hit back with the WI and DS.

The middle guy is Reggie without a shadow of a doubt also Nintendos E3 announcments weren't that great.
    Add to that the fact that Nintendo have never been 'on the ropes', I'm fairly certain it has consistently turned a profit with every machine it's ever released, with the possible exception of the virtual boy.

And sony have been less big bads of late and more raving drunken loons, remember Krazy Ken and his ramblings?

I guess it depends on your definiton of 'on the ropes' then. But I meant trailing behind PS2 and Xbox with Gamescube in the last console war. Im sure they will always turn a profit due to their finger being in so many pies but I was speaking relatively.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I guess it depends on your definiton of 'on the ropes' then. But I meant trailing behind PS2 and Xbox with Gamescube in the last console war. Im sure they will always turn a profit due to their finger being in so many pies but I was speaking relatively.

The Gamecube maybe have trailed the PS2 and xbox but from the start nintendo were making a profit on each console sold unlike Sony which only started making a profit a few years into production and MS which lost billions every year on the xbox. Nintendo have never brought out a console that was being manufactured for less than the price it was sold at. Sony and MS at the moment are losing Billions in there games department while Nintendo are turning a steady profit. They may have looked like they weren't doing so well with the GC and N64 but financially for them they were raking it in with stock prices consistently rising.

• Advertisement

I know it'd be ideal to judge each company on the console's only. But puttinf a DVD player in so many houses undoubtedly borught Sony alot of cash via DVD sales/rentals as well. Making a loss is okay to begin with, if it leads to the cash success they have with ps2 saturation at the moment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think with 70 millions DS's and over 10 million Wii's sold, its safe to say that Nintendo are the rich guys right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sony and MS at the moment are losing Billions in there games department while Nintendo are turning a steady profit.

I'm not sure about its 2008 Q2 profits, but Microsoft Entertainment and Device Division (where its 360 figures are included) turned a profit in the two previous quarters, despite losses on Zune. Profit was over $500mil combined I think, mostly due to X360 and related sales (e.g. accessories, games).

you were speaking out yer arse, to be fair :P

Besides at the same time as the gamecube was in 3rd in the last 'console war' they were making obscene profits from their handheld division as well as the profit from every machine sold.

Basically there are two rules of the games industry, One: nintendo has more money than god. Two: See one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

mcgovern wrote: »
    I'm not sure about its 2008 Q2 profits, but Microsoft Entertainment and Device Division (where its 360 figures are included) turned a profit in the two previous quarters, despite losses on Zune. Profit was over $500mil combined I think, mostly due to X360 and related sales (e.g. accessories, games).

Yep it was the second time the games division turned a profit for microsoft, the other time was the month Halo 2 was released. There was massive celebrations because the games division only lost 2 billion dollars that year :)

Advertisement