Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

expressing breast milk

Options
  • 16-07-2008 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

can anyone recommend a good breast pump for expressing milk, either manual or electric

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

My Mrs used the manual one from Avent. And when that wore out after much use, we got the same again (the design much improved for cleaning and putting together). So it worked well for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I used the medela one, It worked fine. I didnt really like expressing though. Only did it as a last resort or for pump and dump...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 aurelio

I would recommend an medela electric breast pump, a bit pricey (e100 ish) but well worth it. I found the manual pump a complete waste of time and the electric ones are very efficient and quick to use. From 6 weeks I used to do a quick 10 min pump in the morning after first morning feed when still had lots left to pump and stick it in the freezer to build up a supply for future use. You can get it from Medicare (wicklow) or can possibly order it through your pharmacy. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

In my area the public nurses have a small supply of manual and electric breast pumps that you can borrow to try out for a couple of days and see which type suits you.

I used the Avent Isis and found it ok to use. I also used the breast shells for the morning feeds, they were so handy, just pop one around your nipple spout side up and while you have the let down from feeding on the other side you can collect 2 or 3 ozs. in them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

+1 for the electric Medela electric pump, I don't think i'll ever forget the noise of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Definitely Medela. You can get it in Boots. The Avent hand pump is very strenuous on the hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Alice1

I used the Medela electric - tis the business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 chatty woman

use an electric one, the manual one falls appart or wont suction properly

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

I didn't like the electric pumps at all and got far more milk from the manual. I only b/f for 3 weeks on my last child but could express 7 oz at a go with the manual pump and only about 3 with the electric. I guess different things suit different people.

Advertisement