Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Drogheda United -v- Levadia Talinn

• 16-07-2008 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭

Big game for Drogheda tonight in Dalymount Park. Might pop down meself if I've nothing else on.

Anyways, I reckon Doolin will concentrate in not conceding tonight instead of actually going for it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Think I'll go and support Talinn, seems to be the "in" thing to do, an irish person going ans supporting a foreign team, versus Drogs in Europe.

COME ON TALINN!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

I think Drogs will struggle as they have done all season. I'd like them to win because it's good for coefficients, but I have a lot of doubts about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I was going to make this thread last night but computer was acting stupid.

I might go to support them but because I want to see Kiev playing. The last time I seen them was 2001. I'd probably support Kiev but want Drogheda to go through, as its not like they need it.

I reckon it will be 2-0 to the Drogs.

Can that Kuduzovic(?) guy play tonight?

Its not on tv so I will go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'd be surprised if Drogheda get more than 8 shots on goal. This Talinn team will be here for the taking but Doolin will be playing 4-5-1 and probably not going any where.

Probably be 1nil loss or a one all draw.

Its not on tv so I will go.

Meet you there?

I'll be wearing a top with this on it

fc-levadia.gif

• Advertisement

Deadly.

ActuallyI take it back I want Drogheda to go through and be beaten 300 million nil against Kiev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

I'm too confident of Drogheda's chances of getting through. They have been poor this season and, as league champions go in the past few years, they were relatively poor. Talinn have a good record in Europe- only lost the Red Star Belgrade on away goals last year, beat FC Twente a couple of seasons ago and almost beat Newcastle the same year. You can get Talinn at evens to get through to the next stage. Draw no bet at 5/2 tonight (also with PP) looks quite good.

Having the home leg first suits Drogheda though. If the were playing away first they would probably lose and have to chase the game in the second leg, where Talinn would have played on the counter and done them. Drogs can just keep it tight tonight, hopefully don't concede and play on the counter in the second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I think so - I think they registered him in time.

I think tonight's game is all about whether Drogheda have the balls to take a chance and potentially end the tie tonight. If they play to their potential, I don't think they'll have any problems, but that's a big if. I agree with the general consensus on here, i.e. that Doolin will be overly cautious with a 4-5-1 or some ****e like that. A 2-0 win for Drogs would be a terrific result, but I'm more hopeful than confident.

Odds of 5/1 for a Levadia win tonight on Betfair - well worth a tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Why is not not televised? I thought RTE always showed the CL games with Irish teams involved, regardless of the round?

MNS....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I'm taking a minibus full of mates to the game tonight. Hopefully Drogheda will play the kind of football they're capable of. Haven't seen much evidence of that so far this season.

What do people reckon the turnout will be?

Drogheda were in control but Gartland made a shocking mistake at the back giving Levadia a soft goal. Drogs are still playing well, Judas Cahill in particular but their defence is a bit shaky. They're not out of it yet but they'll need to up their performance in the second half.

Drogs 0 - 1 Levadia at half-time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

gimmick wrote: »
    Why is not not televised? I thought RTE always showed the CL games with Irish teams involved, regardless of the round?

To answer my own question - it seems this is the case due a feud with RTE. hen Drogs were playing FK Start a few years ago, RTE wanted to cover it only on radio. Drogs wanted €5k. RTE said no, Drogs said cheerio and the standoff remains.

Come on Tallinn.

Looks like Drogs are missing Gavin and Shelley (injured) at the back but that's not a good enough excuse.

Second half just started, Shane Robinson had a great chance, but puts it just wide.

gimmick wrote: »
    To answer my own question - it seems this is the case due a feud with RTE. hen Drogs were playing FK Start a few years ago, RTE wanted to cover it only on radio. Drogs wanted €5k. RTE said no, Drogs said cheerio and the standoff remains.

Come on Tallinn.

Ah jaysis, I remember that Drogs prick, had dealings with him myself.

He's an egotistical moron who has no clue.

He had a go at me and one of the other ShelsWeb fellas some time ago, saying Drogs hadn't the money to PAY for a professional website.

Paid, me hole.

Bitter wanker.

DROGS EQUALISE!!! Judas Cahill scores!

Pure Cork wrote: »
    DROGS EQUALISE!!! Judas Cahill scores!

Get in.

I don't have a LW Radio, where can I hear this?

Drogheda 1 - 1 Levadia

Keegan is replaced by Zayed.

Des wrote: »
    Get in.

I don't have a LW Radio, where can I hear this?

Listen online http://www.rte.ie/radio/index.html Click on RTÉ Radio 1 Extra

• Advertisement

Oh, thanks for that.

Does that broadcast Friday football too?

I effing hate Rico's voice.

Yeah, they have a feature match and then visit all the grounds during the program. Handy when you can't make away matches.

Yeah, they have a feature match and then visit all the grounds during the program.

Thanks for telling me that.

All Drogs at the moment. 20mins gone in the second half.

Kuduzovic scores on his debut! Tap in followed up from a free kick.

Drogs 2 - 1 Levadia

Seems he can.

:)

Baker came very close to getting another. Let's hope they get a third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭brick tamland

if they can get a third it'd be a great result

c'mon drogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

FT: 2-1

Not too bad a result.

• Advertisement

FINAL SCORE: Drogheda 2 - 1 Levadia

Good result for Drogs all things considered, but there's a lot of football still to be played.

FT: 2-1

Not too bad a result.

Meh, they HAVE to score away, and Doolo ain't exactly the most adventurous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Kuduzovic,is he a new player,he is from Bosnia i would say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Well done Drogs. icon14.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Yeah good job. Hopefully it can be carried on in Estonia.

• Advertisement

Good news from tonight is that we've already equalled our coefficient from 03/04 of 0.333. This coefficient is due to be discarded.

UEFA Cup starts tomorrow. Here's a list of matches people on boards will be most interested in;

Cork City v FC Haka Kick-off 7:45pm
    JFK Olimps v St. Pats Kick-off 4:00pm
    EB/Streymur v Manchester City Kick-off 7:00pm
    Glentoran v Metalurgs Kick-off 7:45pm
    Cliftonville v FC Copenhagen Kick-off 7:45pm
    Dacia Chisinau v Borac
    Olimpik v Vojvodina
    (For delija_sever029)

There's a match thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055335830

The Cork City v FC Haka match will be broadcast live on RTÉ LW252 or you can listen online at http://www.rte.ie/radio/index.html by clicking on RTÉ Radio 1 Extra.

Ireland sitting in 32nd place of the 53 members of UEFA. An amazing run over the last 5 seasons and entitles us to seeded places and a bye to the second rounds of the UEFA Cup for two of our teams from 2010. Assuming we can hold onto that spot,

nicked that from a post on ShelsWeb

Dacia Chisinau v Borac
    Olimpik v Vojvodina
    (For delija_sever029)

:D:D:D

Thanks mate,i appreaciate this:D

Where i should give comments about matches?Some other thread?

EDIT:Althoguh theres acctually nothing much to say,orac to lose,Vojvodina to win,my opinion

Tallinn's goal was due to a real shocker of a mistake by Gartland. Mad Dan Connor had all our hearts in our mouths every time he went near the ball. I can't see why he was on the pitch at all - Ewing has been doing a grand job in goal all season.

Tallinn really are poor and a team like Drogheda should have stuck 3 or 4 past them. If Drogs set out to win the second leg then they should do so fairly comfortably. My fear, however, is that Doolin will play for a draw, screw it up, and we'll end up going out on away goals.

PDN wrote: »
    Tallinn really are poor and a team like Drogheda should have stuck 3 or 4 past them. If Drogs set out to win the second leg then they should do so fairly comfortably. My fear, however, is that Doolin will play for a draw, screw it up, and we'll end up going out on away goals.
    I think it's dangerous to underestimate Talinn at this stage - they've picked up some good results in Europe in recent seasons, so they must be doing something right? Maybe they just had an off-night?

Having said that, if Drogs grab an away goal, I'd fancy them to progress. As you say, it all depends on Doolin's mindset, but one would hope he has enough experience in Europe at this stage to get the job done.

It would be terrible if they did go out on away goals - I'd feel sorry for Gartland; terrific player.

• Advertisement

We playes last year against Levadia in 2nd round of qualification for CL.
    Those were hell hard matches for us,thats all i remember.We won home 1-0 and lost 2-1 in Talinn,those games made some huge mess to us coz we were close to embaress but somehow we went to 3rd round,i remember those estonians were so hard to play against.
    They definitly played better at home and more offensive so i think Drogheda will have one tough match,i am sure they need to score least one goal if they want to pass through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

djpbarry wrote: »

but one would hope he has enough experience in Europe at this stage to get the job done.

:p

That made me laugh.:D

I think both Drogs and Levadia would both struggle to gain any coefficients against Dynamo Kiev so the second leg is possibly the last chance for both of them.

I think Drogheda could beat them at home.....probably get beaten by a few goals away though.

However, I wouldn't be suprised to see Drogheda beaten in Estonia by a couple of goals. Levadia have proved a lot more than Droghed have in Europe, but I do think they are the better side, but the away goal could be crucial.

I think both Drogs and Levadia would both struggle to gain any coefficients against Dynamo Kiev so the second leg is possibly the last chance for both of them.
    Probably, but it would still be great to have them in Dublin. Those are the sort of games we need to raise the profile of the league in general.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Probably, but it would still be great to have them in Dublin. Those are the sort of games we need to raise the profile of the league in general.

Yeah, because the visit of Depor really raised the profile, got loads of fans to start coming to games. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

it all depends on doolin for the 2nd leg if he gets it right we should go thru but everyone has lost confidance at the min and fear he might cost us. On last nights game cahill was my man of the match he was brilliant and robbo, baker and fad were all very good aswell. Garto was terrible and his confidence looks so low at the min.
    All in all i think we can make it thru.

Will Shelley be back for the second leg?

Will Shelley be back for the second leg?

At the beginning of the month we were told he was out for 5 weeks with a knee injury - so I doubt he'll make the second leg. Stuie Byrne is no right back, that's for sure. You'd think with a squad our size we'd have cover for Shelley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

dont think so but not 100% sure, stuey byrne actually had a great game aswell last night at right back i forgot to mention him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement