Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completely new to this! What is my best option?

Options
  • 16-07-2008 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi there,

sorry about this but I am a complete newbie with this kind of stuff. I am looking to get broadband in to enable me to play XBOX360 online. I have been told I would need at least a 2mb connection.

Currently I am with Talk Talk and it would cost an extra €23.99 per month for a 2mb connection. Is this good value or would I be better off getting a different broadband provider?

thanks a million

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Two main points when online gaming, you need decent upload speed (128kbps tends to be a bit poor) and you need good low pings times. The 2M DSL broadband from eircom and all the resellers (Talk Talk included) has 256k upload speed, which should be enough. 3M has 384k upload, which is better, but possibly not needed.

The ping times can depend on contention, and ISP backhaul, aswell as other factors. If anyone here is using Talk Talk for broadband they can probably advise what kind of ping they are getting. You could also have a look, or ask, in the games forums, to see if there are any pointers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

TalkTalk's 2MB offering should do you fine, its all basically the same as Eircom, BT, UTV etc anyway so after that it just comes down to price and who's the best value :)

Advertisement