Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where has all the Vanilla Essence gone?!

• 16-07-2008 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi - just wondering if anyone can help me... I have tried about 10 shops around south county Dublin and NOT ONE had vanilla essence... oh there was red colouring, rum essence, lemon essence.. but no vanilla essence.

Finally asked the shop man and he said they haven't been stocked in Vanilla Essence in weeks, and that many people were having difficulty sourcing it...

So... does anyone know where I can find some premium essence!?!!! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I think you're probably looking for vanilla extract. Vanilla essence is a synthetic version, which can be a bit unpleasant!

BTW - you can get it in Fallon & Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

Nope - just looking for plain ol' boring liquid Goodalls Vanilla Essence to use in baking, for things like Pavlova, Chocolate Brownies etc.... some of the shops do have the vanilla pods, but this isn't what I need for baking... what form does the "extract" take - is it liquid/powder/pod/other??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In broad terms, vanilla extract is a liquid, extracted from real vanilla pods, and vanilla essence, also a liquid, is a man-made synthetic version called vanillin in an ethyl-alcohol base, although the term 'essence' can sometimes be used to describe what is actually 'extract'.

The extract is the thing to have really, and makes the essence taste pretty awful when you've experienced both, although it is a bit more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

Thanks for the insight Alun, wasn't aware of Vanilla Extract but must certainly investigate F&B this evening - thanks y'all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Easiest is probably just to buy it online and have it sent to you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Vanilla extract is far superior - I usually get people to bring me back a bottle from the USA since it's so much cheaper over there.

You could just keep a few vanilla pods in a large jar/bag of caster sugar and it will be beautifully vanilla flavoured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Marks and Spencer usually have organic vanilla extract in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Vanilla extract is much nicer, and Goodall's have one which isn't too expensive, normally you can get it in any supermarket, but I seen on my list of favourites in Tesco that it's currently not available, so maybe there's some problems with shops getting vanilla essence/extract in stock??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't know if I have been eating extract or essence but it is called essence and it is lovely. Don't know ehre the missus gets it though, probably some health shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yeah, health shops stock it. We get ours in Ballymaloe, although I've seen it elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dordali

I had same problem few weeks ago. Couldn't find it anywhere and tried a good few shops in Galway. Very strange. In end my mum had some ....so had to borrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Here are some interesting articles I found ...

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-692040/Grinch-didn-t-steal-white.html

http://www.mccormick.com/content.cfm?id=11464

http://www.afrol.com/articles/13754

It would appear that in recent years, there have been problems with the harvest, resulting in shortages and high prices, but this years harvest looks to be a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Teso stock really nice Nielsen Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla (here) not in their "Baking" sections, but in the "Speciality Foods" section, with all the things like dried lemon grass, star anise, etc. Try looking there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Teso stock really nice Nielsen Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla (here) not in their "Baking" sections, but in the "Speciality Foods" section, with all the things like dried lemon grass, star anise, etc. Try looking there!

Yeah that one is great and it lasts for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭SnowMonkey

You could just keep a few vanilla pods in a large jar/bag of caster sugar and it will be beautifully vanilla flavoured.

thats what i do :D, and 1/4 of a teaspoon of that in your morning coffee is soooooooooo good...:cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

In case anyone is interested, I saw some vanilla essence in Tesco on Lower Baggot Street yesterday.

Advertisement