Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pasta

• 16-07-2008 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Where can I get good quality pasta in a Dublin shop? Without paying a fortune...... Just back from Italy and I notice the difference in taste.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

There is no comparison between the pasta you get in Italy. They make it fresh.
    We only get the dried stuff here. I've never been able to find anything that comes close to the pasta you can buy in any Italian supermarket :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I like the fresh pasta you can get in the chilled section of the suppermarket - it beats the dried stuff.
    You could always buy a pasta machine but it looks like too much hard work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

little Italy in Smithfield - Barilla stuff is the best dried you can get imo. I'm not sure if you can get it anywhere else ( I presume you can ) - I think its more to do we the ingredients in the sauce than the pasta though tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

You could always buy a pasta machine but it looks like too much hard work for me.

I have one of those. I don't use it half as much as I should, but when I do it really is worth it. It's amazing how far a handful of ingredients will stretch. When I do get the urge I make plenty and freeze it.

As Rob said, though, it's the sauce that really makes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

RobAMerc wrote: »
    little Italy in Smithfield - Barilla stuff is the best dried you can get imo. I'm not sure if you can get it anywhere else ( I presume you can ) - I think its more to do we the ingredients in the sauce than the pasta though tbh

don't agree. for me De Cecco is the best dried pasta which you can now get in most deli's and some types in Superquinn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I think its more to do we the ingredients in the sauce than the pasta though tbh

Putting a good sauce on cheap pasta won't turn it into anything other than wallpaper paste and sauce:D
    don't agree. for me De Cecco is the best dried pasta which you can now get in most deli's and some types in Superquinn

+1 on De Cecco, and what a range!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

watch for famers markets, you can get great italian pasta, also the olive tree in dundrum stocked some nice ones too, imported from italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Beruthiel wrote: »
    There is no comparison between the pasta you get in Italy. They make it fresh. We only get the dried stuff here.

It very much depends on what you're using it for, in Italy. Some dishes call for dried pasta, some for fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭branners69

Has anyone ever seen Bucatini pasta which is usually No.9 anywhere in Dublin?

It looks like this

I love this pasta but have only found it outside of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

branners69 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever seen Bucatini pasta which is usually No.9 anywhere in Dublin?

It looks like this

I love this pasta but have only found it outside of Ireland.

De Cecco do it. You can get it in most good delis/gourmet shops. Also in Dunne & Crescenzi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement