Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(another?) rent allowance thread

Options
  • 16-07-2008 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

first what exactly is rent allowance? is it the money that you can claim back on rent paid? Second why do some places not allow it? Can you demand they do, or move into a place and then apply for it after leaving anyways? If all goes well for me I should be in the same place for a few years so don't intend to actually do that, but I am curious how it affects the landlord. Surely the money isn't coming out of their pocket?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm wondering if they fear welfare fraud and that if the potential fraudster is uncovered, they'll suddenly have someone unable to pay their way. I've a feeling something like that happened with the person prior to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Do you mean Rent Supplement for those on low incomes/welfare or the Tax Relief on rent for those who pay PAYE?

http://citizensinformation.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Rent allowance is payment that you recieve from your local health board to cover your rent if you are unable to cover it yourself. You normally claim it if you are on the dole or in circumstances in which you would need assistance to pay your rent. It is seperate to the dole as it is supplied by the health board. These are payments every week or month that would go into either your bank a/c or a the local post office.

I'd say in some cases where landlords do not allow rent allowance is where they are not a registered landlord so therefore want to remain off the radar for fear of the tax man.

Then there is Rent Relief which is supplied by the Revenue. This is money that would be paid based on the 4 previous years to this year. Here you just fill out a form downloaded from the Revenue website giving the addresses of the different places rented and rent paid each week/month. You don't need to fill out any details of the landlord here just fill out the correct address. The Revenue will then send a cheque for each year (I think the max is €400 or so per year based on XXXX amount of thousand €?). The revenue like this as then they can see any landlords who owe tax

• Registered Users Posts: 78,398 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rent Allowance is a form of Supplementary Welfare Allowance paid to people on low incomes.

The tenant applies for it, but the landlord has to do some paperwork and be tax compliant.

In some cases it is paid to the tenant to pass on, sometimes it is paid direct to the landlord.

http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw54.html
    is it the money that you can claim back on rent paid?
    I imagine you need to claim up front.

Advertisement