Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NK2

• 16-07-2008 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong place -

just wondering if anyone has ever come across this problem with Outlook 2003 where autocomplete list for email addresses clears itself every time you log out? I know the info is stored in nk2 file but there is no such file when I go to look for it, hidden files is switched on? :confused::confused:

Any help appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

To reset the Outlook nickname cache. After you restart Outlook, Outlook will generate a new cache.

Microsoft Windows XP

1. Exit Outlook.

2. Start Microsoft Windows Explorer.

3. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
    Under Advanced Settings, select the Show hidden files and folders check box.

4. Click OK.

5. Click Start, point to Search, and then click All files or folders.

6. In the Search Companion box, type *.NK2 in the All or part of the file name box.

7. In the Look in box, select your local hard disk drive.
    Click Search.

8. Right-click the .NK2 file with the name of the profile that you want to reset, and then click Rename.

9. Rename the file to profile name.bak, and then press ENTER.

10. Exit Windows Explorer.

Restart Outlook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

Hi R3al

thanks, but I tried doing that and the search finds no file. Hidden files is switched on.

On my own pc the autocomplete does work but I don't seem to have an nk2 file either.

It will work for her until she logs out of the pc and then seems to reset itself

I'm very confused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

You can try this NK2 utility which will rebuild the file for you if its been corrupted. If files are hidden go into 'folder options' in the 'control panel' then click the 'view tab' and check the option to 'show all files'.

Thanks Hal1

show all files is definitely switched on and I can see hidden files, all apart from the nk2 one. However I downloaded the utility and it does see one called outlook.nk2 in the same folder!!

I'll try this on the user's pc so hopefully it will work. However I still don't understand how the utility can see the file but I can't see it through explorer.

Thanks a million for your help, this has been driving me mad all day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Outlook 2003 and Open Source? :confused:
    Its just wrong to have the 2 in the same sentence, never mind the same forum. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Moved from Open Source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

the .nk2 file is located in C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

gordonnet wrote: »
    the .nk2 file is located in C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Thanks - this is where I'm looking but there is no nk2 file there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I used to see this problem a lot when the company we supportred migrated from exchange 2k too 2003.

Most of the time id rename the original or if missing just create a blank .txt file and name it to match the users profile name outlook by default i think and change it to a .nk2 extension , user will have to build up the cache again
    but i worked this way for me in most cases

Have you tried creating a new user profile for outlook? might be worth a try too u can just call it test
    and if it doesnt help just revert to the original, it'll only take you 5 minutes to test it and if it doesnt work
    all you've lost is 5 minutes

calex71 wrote: »
    I used to see this problem a lot when the company we supportred migrated from exchange 2k too 2003.

Most of the time id rename the original or if missing just create a blank .txt file and name it to match the users profile name outlook by default i think and change it to a .nk2 extension , user will have to build up the cache again
    but i worked this way for me in most cases

Have you tried creating a new user profile for outlook? might be worth a try too u can just call it test
    and if it doesnt help just revert to the original, it'll only take you 5 minutes to test it and if it doesnt work
    all you've lost is 5 minutes

Thanks for this - I tried both of these options the first time round, i wasn't sure if the nk2 file was supposed to be called outlook.nk2 or username.nk2 but neither worked anyway. In the end I renamed her profile and that did the trick!

• Advertisement
Advertisement