Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times Crossword (Crosaire)

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have to agree. There's no point finishing a crossword if it's accomplished by getting the answer from somebody else. I would often be curious to find out an answer but would take little satisfaction filling it in if I had to be told it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

If it's a cryptic crossword, then there's still the possibility of getting the "aha!" feeling when you work out how that elusive answer comes from the clue, even if someone has told you what the word is. Even the "d'oh!" feeling that one gets when the last answer turns out to be so obvious is better than nothing. Also, for people who don't have much experience in cruciverbalism, there's value in learning what the missing answers are.

Perhaps, though, it's more of a feeling of relief that you've filled in all the blank spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Well, if i make a decent attempt to finish the crossword, and try and try to finish last few, but cant, i still get the satisfaction even if someone tells me the answers!

hivizman wrote: »
    . Also, for people who don't have much experience in cruciverbalism, there's value in learning what the missing answers are.
    And those answers are available in the next day's paper.:p

Sorry to say this but a bit pretentious with the old "cruciverbalism" aren't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭stepinnman

Well despite the objections posted above I'm going to share my solutions for today!! I'm missing 3 so any help would be appreciated!

Also, I know there is a separate thread for the Christmas Crossword but whilst I'm putting up this one I'm stuck on 31a and 16d in that one. They're both 4 letters and I have two in each but can't work them out - I haven't actually got them in front of me at the moment but perhaps someone out there has..

Back to today...

Across:

Four Sides
    Contrive
    Revere
    Priest
    Iris
    Resin
    16. Think it's probably
    Stated
    but can't work out why beyond the "so called part".
    Invoice
    Broaden
    Encore
    Agree
    Eels
    Adroit
    - Very good clue
    Ostend
    Intrepid
    Enough
    Deserting

Down:

Odours
    Rather
    Idiots
    Evenin
    g
    Digest
    Ascending
    Riser
    Semi
    Nine Holes
    Vacation
    Creed
    Owed
    Massive
    Renege
    Rattle
    Ernest
    Pinion

So I need help with 9a, 7d and I might have 16a wrong

• Advertisement

stepinnman wrote: »
    Well despite the objections posted above I'm going to share my solutions for today!! I'm missing 3 so any help would be appreciated!

So I need help with 9a, 7d and I might have 16a wrong

Happy New Year! Off work today so after a long lie-in I've had a look at today's Crosaire.

9a is
    LITMUS - think of what colour litmus paper turns when placed in an acid (a CID)

7d is
    IMPELLED - anagram of limped round le

16a is
    STYLED - sty = "for the pig" and led = "in the van"

I think that 19a is actually
    VOCATION meaning "calling"
    . Otherwise, I agree with your answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭stepinnman

And we're back in action!!

Can't believe I didn't get
    Litmus
    !!! And you're definitely right about
    Vocation

Thanks

Now back to the Christmas Crosaire for me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Laurent

I dont know if anyone else downloads the Crosaire from the IT web site, but living abroad it has been a lifesaver as when I lived in Ireland I enjoyed trying to get at least a few of the each day. My favourite was Saturdays as I could usually get a good start with the long words top &bottom and each side.
    Since Christmas, the web shows Saturdays news and all the other Saturday goodies, but alas they show the Friday Crosaire. To add insult to Injury, the Monday one has the solution to the (for me unseen) saturday one. Is this a new ploy, here are the answers guess the clues?
    Please Madam Editor.

Laurent wrote: »
    I dont know if anyone else downloads the Crosaire from the IT web site, but living abroad it has been a lifesaver as when I lived in Ireland I enjoyed trying to get at least a few of the each day. My favourite was Saturdays as I could usually get a good start with the long words top &bottom and each side.
    Since Christmas, the web shows Saturdays news and all the other Saturday goodies, but alas they show the Friday Crosaire. To add insult to Injury, the Monday one has the solution to the (for me unseen) saturday one. Is this a new ploy, here are the answers guess the clues?
    Please Madam Editor.

The Saturday puzzle is available for download today (Saturday 10 Jan 2009) - Crosaire Number 13,739.

Well, there's half an hour of my life that I won't see again!

If you can't wait until Monday, these are my suggested answers and comments:

1a:
    GIVEN ME A START
    10a:
    TRANSOM
    11a:
    APRICOT
    12a:
    RAIL (nice clue, with three meanings)
    13a:
    INDIA
    15a:
    STAR
    17a:
    TEA
    19a:
    FAERIE (not sure this clue works, because it suggests an anagram of 'I fear a', which hasn't got the correct number of 'e's)
    21a:
    HARDEN (rather banal definition -don't see anything cryptic here)
    22a:
    LYRICAL
    23a:
    JUMPER
    25a:
    SEARCH
    27a:
    BET
    29a:
    SITE
    30a:
    MODEL
    31a:
    ABLE
    34a:
    OVERDUE
    35a:
    RAISINS
    36a:
    STARBOARD SIDE

2d:
    IMAGINE
    3d:
    EASE
    4d:
    MOMENT
    5d:
    ACACIA
    6d:
    TARE (nice Crosaire cryptic: 'tis + 'tis = 'tare)
    7d:
    RECITED
    8d:
    STAR OF THE SHOW
    9d:
    STAR IN THE EAST
    14d:
    DECIDED
    16d:
    WILLS
    18d:
    WALES
    20d:
    EYE
    21d:
    HAS
    24d:
    RETREAT
    26d:
    REBUILD
    27d:
    BOLERO
    28d:
    TERROR
    32d:
    ODER
    33d:
    MISS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Laurent

My pleas were answered and Saturday has returned to normal ---for me at least !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bill.Butler

Hi all,

Does anyone know what time of day the latest online version of the Crosaire crossword is released? I'm an ex-pat over here in the US and want to start doing the crossword again.

Thx in advance for any help that can be offered.

Bill

Just checked: Monday's crossword was still up at 23:30, but Tuesday's (today's) crossword is now there at 00:10. So I suspect that the new crossword is available online just after midnight GMT. If you are in California, that means the Crosaire will be available at 4PM PST.

P.S. Just noticed this is my 300th post!

Thanks for the information about the timing of the publication of the crossword. That means I will be getting a peek at it over here in California the evening before it goes into the paper over in Ireland.

I just started a blog about the Crosaire crossword if you (or anyone) is interested ... www.crosaire.paxient.com

But beware, I post the answers. I don't want to spoil the crossword for anyone :o

But beware, I post the answers.

Why? :confused:

Why? :confused:

I post the solution as a reference, to the commentary I make on the clues in the puzzle.

I'm a big fan of the Crosaire, and the blog is kind of a "homage", as it were. I know, I need to get a life ...

Anyway, it's all for fun :D

Bill

www.crosaire.paxient.com

Very good site with comments on Crosaire - thanks for the link.

I'm not really sure that I like Crosaire, given his rather out of date clueing conventions. For example, the clue in today's puzzle "By the sound of it, to ease there, really" doesn't really work by my standards because the wordplay is only partial. Once you know that the answer is
    INDEED
    , you can rationalise the clue, but it wouldn't get past any of the British quality newspapers' crossword editors.

Sadly, your blog will probably make this thread redundant! :(

hivizman wrote: »
    Very good site with comments on Crosaire - thanks for the link.

Sadly, your blog will probably make this thread redundant! :(

Thanks for your comments on the blog ... and don't give up on the thread, that would make me feel bad!

I agree with you about the "quality" of the Crosaire puzzle vis-a-vis the cryptic crosswords in the British papers. Crosaire is very much old school, a blast from the past, and hence less precise. But it is an astounding tradition that has survived for decades. I am a big fan because I grew up with the puzzle, so I give it latitude :)

Thx again for your comments

Bill

www.crosaire.paxient.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 OldOddJobs

Usually the top time posted is under 2 minutes: it takes that long to type in the clues, let alone solve them!

People are obviously solving the print edition, then going online to simply fill in the grid and post a quick time....what's the point?!

luckily this small irritation is all I have to worry about

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Hate to dig up an old thread, but I've only recently got into Crosaire in the IT.

Any boardsies share an interest?

(mods, feel free to move or delete)

• Advertisement
Advertisement