Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When we will we know about accomodation?

• 16-07-2008 2:24pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello. Anyone know when the residence people will start letting people know about the on-campus accommodation? I really need to know soon! It's for the postgrad place, I was told they are told about the places before the CAO gang in August.
    Also, have the prices changed much since the sticky was written in 2006?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭charlesodowd

I got word well over a month ago. Am undergrad tho.

Not sure what your situation would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Gaoithin

I'm living in the postgrad residences and as far as I can remember I still hadn't heard this time last year. They rang me up one day when I was at work last August and told me I had to decide pretty much on the spot whether I was taking the room... lovely people. :rolleyes:
    The rent this year is €495 per month, but I'm pretty sure it goes up every year.
    Hope this helps.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DracusWolf

I'm also waiting on word from them. I would be nice to know fairly soon. Tryed ringing them and could not get the person that is dealing with the allocations and am waiting for a call back. Will try ringing again today.

Gaoithin, what are your impressions of the postgrad accomodation? Is the internet an extra fee?? How close to the college campus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Gaoithin

Hi DracusWolf,
    there are some really really good things about the postgrad residences (i.e. Postgrad blocks A & B, the ones you get for 12 months) and some really quite crappy things.
    Pros:
    -Ridiculously close to everything on campus (5 mins walk max to anywhere)
    -Around the same price as other accommodation in the area, but bills are included
    -All other postgrads living here so the building is quiet
    -Big ensuite bedrooms, with large desks
    -Internet included in rent

BUT...
    -Postgrad Block A is right beside the bar so it can get v noisy when there's things on there (you will be kept awake)
    -The apartments aren't v new and could do with some refurbishment, especially the kitchens. There's v little counter space so it's difficult for more than 1 person at a time to cook
    -If you move out before the 12 months are up, you lose your €270 "damage/cancellation deposit" no matter how much notice you give (only found this out recently myself and I'm not too happy about it)
    -Rentokil come to spray the rooms for bedbugs every 3 months, which is a nuisance as you have to strip your bed and move everything in the room to the centre of the floor (this is done in all the campus residences)
    -Room inspections

To be honest, it's really hard to decide whether I recommend the place or not. The location is so handy, but I've really found the small kitchen and the noise irritating.

College Park (the 9 month postgrad block) is also nice, more modern than Blocks A & B, but not ideal if you're writing a dissertation over the summer as you'll be kicked out at the end of May!
    Hope this helps.
    ;)

Thanks for that Gaoithin.

I think if i do get a place it'll be the 9 month term. I think it would be worth it just to be so close. When i was in college for my undergrad i lived a good walk away in cork city and that was annoying too. I could prob put up with noise with earplugs, found them very handy at festivals.

Thanks for the review. If only someone could give me an answer in the accommodation office that would be nice. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

so when are 1st years gonna know? After results next week?

Does most people get in, or does it depend on results?

I thought 1st Years would have found out by now. I would give them a ring and find out whats goin on.

I still dont know but i expect to hear from them in the next week.

Hope all goes well.

Regards,

Wolf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Innisfallen

Finally got through to the office, they will be letting Postgrads know by the 15th of August, which is Friday week...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ljojojo

I got a call offering me a room in postgrad res there yesterday, almost 6pm, when I was told that I wouldn't hear until next week, and met a girl last night who was offered her room last week!

I'm getting worried now. Will have to keep ringing till i get an answer. Gonna have to find somewhere else if i dont get this. :( oh well. Can i ask ljojojo, when did you apply for a room. I applied the day the website was up.

• Advertisement

Well I applied at like the start of march, but that other girl I mentioned applied the end of Feb I think. They don't seem to know what's going on at all in that office! I called in during the week and they said they hadn't made any offers yet, which obviously wasn't true! That other girl is turning down her room though, so that room will be free, maybe if you call in it might be better? Especially with CAO results out next week trying to find other accommodation will be a total pain!

hmmm, sounds like they dont care. I'm in cork at the moment, so wont be able to call in cos of work. But i'll be making a call tomorrow and i'll get some sort of answer out of them. All i want is an answer either way and i'm sure there are others out there just looking for an honest answer. The last time i rang up they said i was near the top of the list and would get a call last week or early next week.

Its a bit silly cos i cant look for somewhere else cos i dont want to sign any lease agreement in case i get where i'm lookin for.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I started my PhD just 2 months ago, and had to come up from Mayo for a day to househunt. Saw 10 places, one worse than the other, and had to settle for one as I needed to start asap, but I only signed a 3 month lease thank god! So I've been waiting since then to get on campus. The room I'm in now is in a crappy house with 7 guys, and one electric shower, the thing is it's only a 4 bedroom house so I have no idea where they all sleep! And the play xbox all day so the living room is always full! 450/month!

My friend is going to come with me tomorrow to the office and she;ll ask them about room allocation and see what they say, then I'll let you know because the last thing you want is to be messed about if they're telling different people different stories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I live on campus and the people who work for campus residences are low life scum. Happy hunting guys :)

Thanks ljojojo, that would be really appreciated. Looking forward to hearing any news on that front.:)

Right! Got the forms, and have to pay 1126.43 by aug 18th.

My friend asked about rooms and was told that the offers have already been made, and now as people turn down offers, rooms will be offered to people on a waiting list according to their position on the list? But if they told you you were at the top of the list you should be hearing today or tomorrow.
    Did you get through to the office?

Nope no answer, will try again tomorrow. I'm going to assume i'm not goin to get it then. I'm also going to assume they are not going to bother ringin the people who do not get a place. Looks like i'm off to look for somewhere else. :( Thanks ljojojo for all your help.

All sorted. Managed to get through this evening and was offered a nine month lease. Thank god for that. Thanks to all for the advice and help!! :) Special thanks to ljojojo for all the help!! :) Hope to see you around campus during the year.

I'm doin Security and Forensic Computing, if anyone has any trouble with laptops or PC's let me know and i can return the favour for all your help!! :)

Hey that's great! What a relief! Probably will see you around then! And I'm doing chemistry. . . so if you need any help with anything chemistry-ish just ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Anarking

Can you mix me up some LSD?

• Advertisement
Advertisement