Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is it "OK" to throw cigarette butts on the ground?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I don't think it's OK, but I have a 20/25 minute walk home from work and there isn't one bin along the way, so I can see why some people can. I am also guilty of this. I don't like throwing them on the ground, but I'll be fúcked if I'm putting it in my pocket till I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

nummnutts wrote: »
    I don't think it's OK, but I have a 20/25 minute walk home from work and there isn't one bin along the way, so I can see why some people can. I am also guilty of this. I don't like throwing them on the ground, but I'll be fúcked if I'm putting it in my pocket till I get home.

You could carry it in your hand. Or here's a radical idea, how about not smoke until you know of a place you can dispose of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Why is it "OK" to throw cigarette butts on the ground?
    because us smokers are teh cool and we do what we want :pac:

all smokers are -
    1. icky
    2. smelly
    3. evil
    4. killing you

we are bold

j1smithy wrote: »
    You could carry it in your hand. Or here's a radical idea, how about not smoke until you know of a place you can dispose of it?

With thinking like that you should be president. However, in a country where smoking has been outlawed in every public building, there should be more bins for people to put their cigarette butts in.

nummnutts wrote: »
    With thinking like that you should be president. However, in a country where smoking has been outlawed in every public building, there should be more bins for people to put their cigarette butts in.

The problem is lazy smokers.There are already plenty of bins, but as already pointed out bins are not the solution. If there were bins every 2m on the streets, they still wouldn't put them in it!

The problem is lazy smokers.There are already plenty of bins, but as already pointed out bins are not the solution. If there were bins every 2m on the streets, they still wouldn't put them in it!

Yes i would...Well me anyway. There aren't enough. We seriously need more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Let's just make it clear that there are 3 groups of smokers. Those who would never under any circumstances throw a butt on the ground, those who would only do it when there's not a bin reasonably near and those who will leave a butt on the ground even if there are plenty of bins within easy reach.

The people in that last group are not lazy. There's something else entirely wrong with them and it probably affects more than just their smoking/littering habits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

but liike,where else can you throw them...giggity:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

It does my head in too. Hate seeing people do it. Smoking itself is disgusting. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Tossing fags, stinky butts, sh1tting on the street...

This thread isn't really about littering is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

javaboy wrote: »
    Yeah it is weird all right. It seems to be socially acceptable even to a lot of non-smokers.
    What's the problem then? If most people find it socially acceptable, it's hardly a problem. That's democracy for you :p

On occasion I've been sitting on the grass somewhere with a lot of cigarette butts, and it's slightly annoying, but in general it's not something I have a massive problem with if there're no bins/empty beer bottles/cans close by.

I don't smoke apart from the occasional cigarette when drinking or joints. Once I put the end of one in my pocket instinctively, since I'm not in the habit of throwing things on the ground. The next morning, my jeans stunk - not something I'll be doing again. Cigarette butts are not something which can be put in ones pocket until a bin is found.

Considering the persecution that smokers have to endure, I have to say I empathise with them enough not to have a problem with this.

Those "lazy smokers" give all smokers a bad name. Most of the time I light my smoke at a time that I know that when I've finished it I will either be at a bin, or will be at my destination. However, this doesn't always happen. And the lack of bins in this country doesn't make this easy.

GrumPy wrote: »
    It does my head in too. Hate seeing people do it. Smoking itself is disgusting. :eek:

Yawn. Heard it all before. I can't wait until some smartass smoker brings the government to court and is rewarded lots of money over their stupid ads or lack of bins. They did it to mc donalds when shock horror,eating fatty food turned out to be bad for ya too. Then maybe next time someone wants to mouth off at smokers for being gross with their filthy habit,people will think twice. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

because a fag butt is tiny. a crisp packet isn't :)

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    What's the problem then? If most people find it socially acceptable, it's hardly a problem. That's democracy for you :p

I didn't say most people. I said "even to a lot of non-smokers". I'd say a majority of people would be opposed to people throwing their butts on the ground but there would be a large amount of people who wouldn't be bothered.
    Cigarette butts are not something which can be put in ones pocket until a bin is found.

Considering the persecution that smokers have to endure, I have to say I empathise with them enough not to have a problem with this.

But there are simple solutions to the problem of storing cigarette butts until a bin can be found. Some of them are very small and neat and airtight so the smell doesn't stink up your clothes. It seems to me that the people who do this are just too lazy/inconsiderate to buy a portable cigarette butt holder or refrain from smoking when there's no bin around. They want a special exception to be made for them to litter.

At least they aren't giant cuban cigars

Nerin wrote: »
    At least they aren't giant cuban cigars

Easier for litter collectors to pick up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

But there are simple solutions to the problem of storing cigarette butts until a bin can be found. Some of them are very small and neat and airtight so the smell doesn't stink up your clothes. It seems to me that the people who do this are just too lazy/inconsiderate to buy a portable cigarette butt holder or refrain from smoking when there's no bin around. They want a special exception to be made for them to litter.
    I've never seen these promoted. Nor would I have the slightest clue where to buy one.(besides online)

Calling people lazy/inconsiderate for doing something which is a socially acceptable norm is silly.

I've never seen these promoted. Nor would I have the slightest clue where to buy one.(besides online)

Neither have I but I guessed they might exist, made the slightest bit of effort and voila, I found somewhere to buy them very cheaply. Admittedly that's over the internet but I'd be surprised if nowhere in Ireland is selling them. It's laziness to use the lack of bins as an excuse to litter when there are other solutions available.
    Calling people lazy/inconsiderate for doing something which is a socially acceptable norm is silly.

I don't think it is socially acceptable to the majority of people but even if it was, drink driving was once socially acceptable. I think drink drivers were as inconsiderate then as they are now. Is that also silly?

• Advertisement

On occasion I've been sitting on the grass somewhere with a lot of cigarette butts, and it's slightly annoying, but in general it's not something I have a massive problem with if there're no bins/empty beer bottles/cans close by.

I don't smoke apart from the occasional cigarette when drinking or joints. Once I put the end of one in my pocket instinctively, since I'm not in the habit of throwing things on the ground. The next morning, my jeans stunk - not something I'll be doing again. Cigarette butts are not something which can be put in ones pocket until a bin is found.

I assume this grass you talk of is the Pav in Trinity College. Well I have been there during the month of May this year and I have to say the place was a mess. Whatever about other places in the country, they have plenty of bins around, if not put them in an empty can, but no, they were tossed on the grass. Just that illustrates that many smokers just don't care about the environment and the extra costs associated with cleaning up after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Well you could get one of the portable butt holders I mentioned.

Why should some kid have to stumble across and possibly eat your cigarette butt that blew into his garden because you couldn't be bothered to dispose of it properly?

People ought to take a bit of responsibility for their actions. There's lots of things I wish the government would do better but using the lack of bins as an excuse to litter when there are alternatives just seems lazy to me.

Smoking is not a necessary activity, its not breathing. It can wait until you get home where you can throw your butts on the floor of your house if you wish. But you should not throw them on the ground in public spaces. No matter how hard you try there is no justification for doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SQ2

so there's no bin around, why do drivers toss the butt out of the car? ash tray full? can I report these people to the litter warden?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭jaffa20

to sum up all the replies:

if you're a smoker- yes

if you're not- no

There's your answer. End of

No, you won't throw it on the floor of your own house because you'll have to clean it up yourself. But its alright to do it in a public place, sure you have someone else to do that, and pay for it

No, you won't throw it on the floor of your own house because you'll have to clean it up yourself. But its alright to do it in a public place, sure you have someone else to do that, and pay for it

>_> wait,so when we put them in the ashtray in our home,we aren't cleaning them up? Wtf are you talking about? :p i'm at a bus stop now,everyones smoking,and the nearest bin is ten to fifteen minutes walk away. Wonder whats gonna happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i have to clean ip people butt every day from outside the shop

there is a bin outside the shop
    its 4 steps to the bin

but littering in general is rife

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »
    i have to clean ip people butt every day from outside the shop

there is a bin outside the shop
    its 4 steps to the bin

but littering in general is rife

I know how you feel,i had three jobs where one of the things i did was clean outside. I got pissy if there was a bin unused.where i work now has contract cleaners and i'd be very annoyed if i was them because there are plenty of bins. Where i live there are feck all bins,and only 1 place has one specifically designed for ciggies. And the county council doesn't tidy our town >_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Jesus don't you people have more to worry about than some smoker throwing their cig butts onto the ground? But anyways...

I used to be a smoker, so from both sides, I see valid arguments, but I don't think it's the same as throwing empty tayto bag or chewing gum onto the floor...

DEmeant0r wrote: »
    Jesus don't you people have more to worry about than some smoker throwing their cig butts onto the ground? But anyways...

Just because there's bigger problems in the world, it doesn't mean we can't bitch and moan about the smaller things. :D
    I used to be a smoker, so from both sides, I see valid arguments, but I don't think it's the same as throwing empty tayto bag or chewing gum onto the floor...

No you're right it's not the same. A cigarette butt is easier to swallow, contains more toxic substances and is harder to pick up than an empty crisp bag. There's no good reason to do it. Nobody so far has given a legitimate reason why they cannot avoid throwing their butt on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Guilty of this all the time, never even so much as gave it thought until this thread.

I feel kinda bad now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Two words: bin fires.

But if the occasional toxic bin fire with permanent damage to street furniture is the price to pay for cleaner streets on balance, I say heave in the (occasionally) burning butts, and hang the consequences.

Who's with me?!

zenith wrote: »
    Two words: bin fires.

But if the occasional toxic bin fire with permanent damage to street furniture is the price to pay for cleaner streets on balance, I say heave in the (occasionally) burning butts, and hang the consequences.

Who's with me?!

Can you not manage to put it out before binning it? You managed to light it.

Knowing most of the uptight nonsmokers we would then be seeing threads with people complaining about cigarette marks (from people putting them out) on walls and what not.

I mean, honestly, a lot of non smokers won't really be happy until smoking is just banned, they will always find something to complain about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

I do not smoke.

*They* who do need to know about your instructions.

But, since they continue to smoke in the face of packets reading "Smoking Kills", then I am not so sure that they are so good at following instructions.

But you think that they are, at least on average. So, on average, most of them should be out. So most bins should be safe.

Another one ticked off the list, guys. Let's tackle world hunger next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Knowing most of the uptight nonsmokers we would then be seeing threads with people complaining about cigarette marks (from people putting them out) on walls and what not.

I mean, honestly, a lot of non smokers won't really be happy until smoking is just banned, they will always find something to complain about.
    im irish.....its my prerogative to complain!!!

taidghbaby wrote: »
    im irish.....its my prerogative to complain!!!
    True true :D

• Advertisement

Ash would be blown or washed away. I doubt it would be anywhere near the problem or the eyesore that discarded butts are. Admittedly there would be the odd complainer but really they would be a very small minority and probably safe to ignore. That's a really weak excuse for not even making the effort.

That's true some of them won't be happy until it's banned. I'm not one of them as it happens. It's still no excuse for not making a tiny bit of effort not to litter. There shouldn't be a special exemption for smokers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Lads, in this time of recession, you wouldn't want to see the council laying off street sweepers would you?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not acceptable to me but a lot of people I know do it.

zenith wrote: »
    I do not smoke.

*They* who do need to know about your instructions.

Sorry I wasn't talking specifically about you. I was using "you" as in the Irish version of the Queen's English "one". ;)

Ash would be blown or washed away. I doubt it would be anywhere near the problem or the eyesore that discarded butts are. Admittedly there would be the odd complainer but really they would be a very small minority and probably safe to ignore. That's a really weak excuse for not even making the effort.

That's true some of them won't be happy until it's banned. I'm not one of them as it happens. It's still no excuse for not making a tiny bit of effort not to litter. There shouldn't be a special exemption for smokers.
    Aye, I know what you mean, as from today I'm going to make more of an effort with disposing of them properly.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A cigarette butt is easier to swallow, contains more toxic substances and is harder to pick up than an empty crisp bag.
    I used to swallow mine, but the doctor told me I had to give it up. Now, I chew just chew them, then spit them out (in a bin, of course).

ps He told me it was OK to swallow chewing gum - everyone does it in America, and no-one has died yet.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I used to put mine in my pocket, but people complained about the smell of stale smoke.

Terry wrote: »
    I used to put mine in my pocket, but people complained about the smell of stale smoke.

I used to bring an empty pack of fags with me and toss the butts in that but then my girlfriend at the time said she could smell them. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

SQ2 wrote: »
    so there's no bin around, why do drivers toss the butt out of the car? ash tray full? can I report these people to the litter warden?
    A judge ruled that the actual cigarette butt needed to be produced in evidence in such cases, so unless you fancy picking up the butt and passing it onto the warden, there is probably not much point in reporting drivers.

If you do see persistent littering at an office/shop/pub, the litter wardens are generally quite good at getting such issues resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Just because there's bigger problems in the world, it doesn't mean we can't bitch and moan about the smaller things. :D

No you're right it's not the same. A cigarette butt is easier to swallow, contains more toxic substances and is harder to pick up than an empty crisp bag. There's no good reason to do it. Nobody so far has given a legitimate reason why they cannot avoid throwing their butt on the ground.

a good reason is because it's socially acceptable. that is a good reason!

Advertisement