Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salman Rushdie

Options
  • 16-07-2008 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Anyone here recommend reading Salman Rushdie particularly The Enchantress Of Florence and other works such as East, West, The Satanic Verses.

If you have read any of the above, or more, post your recommendations and opinions here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Midnights Children is a good read, that's about it with me and Rushdie though. Overrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

absolutely hated The Enchantress Of Florence. couldn't even finish it tbh, which is rare with me and books!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Ran into him once in North Beach in San Francisco. My drunk friend was shouting at me to look at the blonde across the street with the massive jugs. Rushdie was walking towards me and he looked over at her and then nodded with a big smile on his face - happy out with himself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 aquestionmark

He's an English scholar's wet dream generally because there's so much hidden meanings, underlying themes, historical and philosophical references in most of his work. In sayin that Midnight's Children is excellent, but personally I thought Enchantress of Florence and Fury were ****e. East, West is a short stories collection that I read a few from but didn't really like. Go for Midnight's Children as a starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

The one and only Salam Rushdie book I read was The Satanic Verses. I thought it was brilliant. Fanastic story teller although at times I found myself getting a bit lost. I tried to read another of his books, can't remember the name of it but I gave up on it after a couple of days. Could not get into it at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement