Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIAT 2009 - Anyone fancy it?

Options
  • 16-07-2008 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Although this years event was cancelled (first time in 38 years) we are looking forward to next year already. Styre, Combat5 and myself along with one other are definite for next year. Would anyone else from the Galway area, or anywhere come to that, be interested in going? We stayed in a B&B in Swindon, a small family run place that has 3 twin rooms and a family (double + single) room and we were thinking that it would be great if we could get a group of us together and take over the place. They are very reasonable at £45 for the twins and £60 for the family per night (this years prices) compared to 3 or 4 times that amount in a hotel that weekend. We already spoke to them about it and they said that bookings will start coming in very shortly for next year, so to let them know as soon as possible. Hence this question. If anyone is interested then be quick and I can contact her and reserve the rooms.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Here is an article about RIAT moving for 2009. I'm confident it won't happen but I don't want ye to be caught out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/gloucestershire/7506082.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Is there many places it could move to ?

Fairford is ideal , virtually unused ( no active Sq ) nice looooooong runway
    reasonably served by the motorway network.

I am thinking about it , can't think where else could do it . ( a lot of the bases I remember would be out of use now and have cars parked on the runway , a la Upper Heyford )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

I think what is being said is, that rather than it being cancelled again they would "consider" moving it. Considering that this is the first time that it has been cancelled in its 38 year history, i doubt it will be moved. What are the chances of it being cancelled two years running? extremly slim I would have thought. Also, Douglas Bader House, the headquaters of the organising comittee is in Fairford. The B&B could always be cancelled if it was to move. Accomadation is the priority though, even before tickets and flights, they can wait till end 08/ begining 09 if need be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Well fellas anybody want to join us at RIAT 2009?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Not me thanks. I don't know my plans for this weekend never mind a year from now. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Vulcan57,
    Without meaning to drag the thread off topic, have to say I saw your namesake on flying display at Farnborough yesterday,
    The noise and power of it on take off was incredible...nothing like it is left in the sky.I'm still a bit deaf from it all but who cares!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Vulcan57,
    Without meaning to drag the thread off topic, have to say I saw your namesake on flying display at Farnborough yesterday,
    The noise and power of it on take off was incredible...nothing like it is left in the sky.I'm still a bit deaf from it all but who cares!!

Incredible is'nt she! Just so gutted that RIAT was cancelled this year as that was definitely one of the highlights for me. I'll just have to wait till next year now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

After this year's experience, I won't be going. The highlight of my trip was the effing Steam museum in Swindon:(

cp251 wrote: »
    After this year's experience, I won't be going. The highlight of my trip was the effing Steam museum in Swindon:(

Ah CP come on, You,Me,Roger ( Vulcan ) his son Adrian ( Combat5 ) and my equally aircraft mad mate Fintan come on, never mind the steam Museum, we wanna see burners! At least think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Vulcan57,
    I'm just back a few hours. She was deafening! Were you there on business or pleasure a2z?

Too early for me to plan a trip. I only sorted out Farnborough 3 weeks beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Ah CP come on, You,Me,Roger ( Vulcan ) his son Adrian ( Combat5 ) and my equally aircraft mad mate Fintan come on, never mind the steam Museum, we wanna see burners! At least think about it.

Who knows what I'm doing this time next year. Hopefully something useful. Maybe I'll still be flying:confused: Probably not. I'm thinking of giving up the whole racket. (Actually planning to) Getting sense at last, I think. Need a proper job. Bit of stability needed and money too.

Anyway this is my last post on boards. I'm about to delete or lock myself out, so I won't be able to reply. So good luck to all. It's been fun.:) Byeee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

I'm just back a few hours. She was deafening! Were you there on business or pleasure a2z?
    Ah it was 90% pleasure, the rest was a bit of future placement hunting!. It's a much more comfortable experience on a trade day, although I did look a bit conspicuous amongst all the suits:D. Kept my AIC on standby just incase.
    Definetly Farnborough in 2010 for me, RIAT 2009 hopefully! Was at the Paris show last year but I wouldent bother again. Public viewing areas for the flying dispaly are terrible and are only suited towards the big wigs in the chalets.

cp251 wrote: »
    Anyway this is my last post on boards. I'm about to delete or lock myself out, so I won't be able to reply. So good luck to all. It's been fun.:) Byeee

WTF?? Where you off to?:(

RIAT 2009 hopefully!

Well you can come over with us if you like.

Advertisement