Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering moving to Galway - need advice please

Options
  • 16-07-2008 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone

I am new to these boards but basically I would love it if you could advise me :)

OK, so me and my new hubby are living and working in Cavan but my job is extremely unstable (as many are) and the type of work my hubby would really like is very much based in Galway. Plus, we love the City and county as a whole.

Anyway, we were going to give it a go for a year or so. We would have to try let out our house here and try rent somewhere in or around Galway.

Firstly, are there any "dodgy" area's we should try to avoid in relation to renting?/

Secondly, I cant drive so will have to depend on public transport to and from work (presumng I can get work). What is it like in Galway?? And where would be the best place to locate for easy access?? Also, is there any good transport from Tuam/Athenry to Galway city??

Absolutely any advice you guys could give me would be very much appreciated as I am kind of nervous about it. But would really like my Hubby to try a job he is highly interested in as opposed to the one which he has no interest in

Thank you so very much in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Do it :D

Galway’s great, Bus service is all right too,

Generally around city center there’s no dodgy areas. Some suburbs are a bit rougher then others.....don’t want to go naming places, I’m sure someone from there will end up reading this.

i dont know anything about Tuam/Athenry to Galway service as ive never had to get it but im pretty sure there are regular buses to Athenry anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Not too many dodgy areas, public transport is a disaster. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

If you want to find dodgy areas, do a Google search for the road name, and if it comes up as ".... from the xxx Road was remanded in custody after attacking..." you might reconsider that particular road and the roads around it. Google them too...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway doesn't really have any dodgy areas the way Dub & Lim has.
    Look into living in Renmore, nice family area 10 mins bike ride from the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭murfinho

Athenry has the rail link, 20 mins or so to Eyre Square (as far as I know).

Bus routes are fairly good (if you are cummuting to the city center)

I've been living in galway for nearly 5 years, so from another blow-in I would defintely recommend it!!

Let us know what you decide! Adh mór!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

murfinho wrote: »
    Athenry has the rail link, 20 mins or so to Eyre Square (as far as I know).

Yep, but id like to add that the train is every 2 hours (They are supposed to increase that though)

I live in Renmore and id say it is the nicest place to live in Galway, just my opinion

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Well, speaking from my own experience, unfortunatly I moved into a dodgy area. Nothing too bad, its just inside the estate itself, in one particular area. Day time its lovely, but ive been walking home once or twice and had guys shouting over, calling me, coming over to me. Trying to do their bit of business and for some reason telling me theres old people in this estate, dont be messing or something like that. Kinda freaked me out a bit. But in the end they did nothing, and no harm was done.
    Ill PM you the area, they may be lurking in the shadows! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

It all depends on where you or your hubby will be working and living, whether or not public transport will be possible.

I'm in Knocknacarra, use the back roads, and can get to work beside the racecourse in 30 mins max at peak hours during school term, uisually just 20 mins though.

I have to say I like the area I'm in - Connemara on the doorstep, shops nearby, and my estate seems respectable enough.

As for dodgy areas, yes there are some, whether they are just full of students or not so nice people, I'll refrain from naming them though.
    Simply have a look around the areas you're thinking of, look for the obvious, how well kept is it, what are the people like & if you've any doubts, ask a garda what its like or come back on here with your options and I'm sure someone could advise you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

luckat wrote: »
    If you want to find dodgy areas, do a Google search for the road name, and if it comes up as ".... from the xxx Road was remanded in custody after attacking..." you might reconsider that particular road and the roads around it. Google them too...

ROTFL :D That's a bit OTT don't ya think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

padi89 wrote: »
    ROTFL :D That's a bit OTT don't ya think.

you obviously never lived in corrib park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Personally I wouldn't live in Renmore, it's a lovely suburb and close enough to town but there isn't alot of amenities around. No restaurants / pubs for example. I would recommend the west side of the city, you have the promenade, the amenities of salthill without having to go into town and you're close to the escape of the west county.

Public transport is sh17e.

I wouldn't move to Tuam or Athenry, that's just a personal opinion, If I was going to move that far out of the city I would want to be either north or west of the city to enjoy the lakes / sea and mountains. Having said that I guess those places having something else to offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you're a member of the Traveller community, then you should find many kindered spirits in Tuam. Not sure that the public transport from there to Galway is great, though.

Athenry is served by the train. Check out the rail web-site for times, from memory the last one in the evening is quite early.

If you want to live in the city and suburbs, then choose your suburb based on where you're working. Ie, if you're working on the West, live in the West. If you're working on the East side, live in Renmore. (a quick glance at the map will show you there are a lot of other suburbs in the east. There are many fine safe streets in areas like Doughiska, Roscam, Wellpark, Mervue and even Ballybrit. There are some other streets too. And there are some suburbs close to those which aren't so fine, too :D

City buses are ok, have been a lot better since earlier this year when BE purchased some new buses. Still a it to be desired though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

JustMary wrote: »
    If you're a member of the Traveller community, then you should find many kindered spirits in Tuam. Not sure that the public transport from there to Galway is great, though.

Athenry is served by the train. Check out the rail web-site for times, from memory the last one in the evening is quite early.

If you want to live in the city and suburbs, then choose your suburb based on where you're working. Ie, if you're working on the West, live in the West. If you're working on the East side, live in Renmore. (a quick glance at the map will show you there are a lot of other suburbs in the east. There are many fine safe streets in areas like Doughiska, Roscam, Wellpark, Mervue and even Ballybrit. There are some other streets too. And there are some suburbs close to those which aren't so fine, too :D

City buses are ok, have been a lot better since earlier this year when BE purchased some new buses. Still a it to be desired though.

Can't say I would always agree with this. I work on the east, live on the west, but don't suffer traffic problems as I choose my route carefully.
    If I lived in Renmore or Oranmore it might take me longer to get to work due to the traffic issues on that side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    you obviously never lived in corrib park

this amuses me as a past resident i can say that this area is very laidback ...unless ur in ur forties and from mervue and refuse to cross the river for fear of kidnap and torture by ur equally dim counterpart....
    im jus curious to why corrib park was singled out cos there are quite a few more notorious areas in the city...maybe these areas some of ye opinion givers have never been to but uve decided to tar them all with the same brush
    u name any estate or development in this city and ur gauranteed to find a shower of pri@ks who may not **** on their own doorstep but will gadly do it elsewhere

Advertisement