Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Tesco TV

Options
  • 16-07-2008 2:48pm

My dad bought a DMTECH (not a great brand I admit) TV from Tesco only a little while ago. The problem is the built in dvd player has stopped working. No matter what dvd I try it keeps coming up with "NO DISC" after a few minutes.

Who is it we can bring the TV back to? I emailed Tesco but got no response. Has anybody any experience with such a thing? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Forget email, just walk back in with it. they either have to replace it with another one or give you a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

I thought DMTECH was a good brand, made from LG and Samsung parts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Saruman wrote: »
    Forget email, just walk back in with it. they either have to replace it with another one or give you a refund.
    You forgot repair but beyond that as above, simply drive back to the store and bring your receipt.

Thanks for the replies guys. I forgot to say that he got it in Tesco Shannon and that they are closed down now. Can I brink it back to any Tesco? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Thanks for the replies guys. I forgot to say that he got it in Tesco Shannon and that they are closed down now. Can I brink it back to any Tesco? Thanks

Any tesco is fine. I returned a DVD player to another tesco because it was more convenient at the time. It was no problem.

Im not so sure you are obliged to accept a repair at least not of its less than a month old... I do know that if you accept a repair it has to be permanent so if you get it back and the same fault occurs then you do not have to accept another repair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Any tesco is fine. I returned a DVD player to another tesco because it was more convenient at the time. It was no problem.
    Any Tesco should be fine, but some of the stores get very picky about returning an item not bought there. There have been many threads here giving out about Tesco and they're very poor returns policy. Often, people are told to go directly to manufacturer, and the shops refuse to accept the return.

It might be best to ring your nearest store, ask for the manager, and explain the situation, and see what they recommend.
    Im not so sure you are obliged to accept a repair.
    It's the retailers choice of refund, repair or replacement. They must be given a reasonable opportunity to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

jor el wrote: »
    It's the retailers choice of refund, repair or replacement. They must be given a reasonable opportunity to repair.
    Not necessarily. There is nowhere in the law that states that. If there is a good reason for demanding a replacement over a repair then the consumer is more than entitled to it. A contract can only be rescinded (refund) in certain cases.

My dad still has the receipt and loves the tv. He got it on special offer (from €500 to €250) so he'd actually prefer to get it repaired rather than a refund. There's probably no way to get it exchanged at this stage. Unless there's somewhere else doing a 17" LCD/DVD TV for €250?

Advertisement