Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shannon Athlone - Carrick on Shannon

Options
  • 16-07-2008 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Howayis lads?
    Have a cruiser booked Friday to Monday on the Shannon. Any tips for me on species, lures, baits, tackle? And all don't flood in to tell me not to target Pike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

First off a shannon regional licence.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

License (stay legal)
    There are extra co-op licence permits required for the Shannon upstream areas. ie you get a co-op permit as well as the ShRFB licence. You should check that out in advance, it might affect where you plan to go.
    If you bring your own tender - dry the boat bilge out thoroughly afterwards and keep dry several days (or disinfect) before putting it into other waters (Re: alien invasive species zebra mussel larvae introduction)
    Fish for the pike as much as you like. You are entitled to do piking as much as anyone else. Enjoy. But they are hammered there, and location is important. I have had wonderful piking in that area.
    Lough Ree is great!
    For coarse fishing you could consider the "hot water stretch" at Lanesborough, and the river and lake downstream of it (for a mile or two) particularly for big bream and tench. Although the coarse fishing up near Strokestown is very good.

There was a fish stocks survey done upthat way last year I think. It is probably available as a download from the Shannon Regional fisheries Board website, I would call them and ask if I didn't find it. http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/
    Well worth a read before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Think Im going to go for perch,so light line,small bobber,small bait,prawn or maggots,Am I right,Where can I get a license?Its a rented cruiser,Ill leave my own tender (dinghy) at home!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I get my ShRFB Licence online every year.
    €37 this year if I'm remembering right.
    I never got a co-op permit since I haven't fished upriver ( L Allen is my preferred upriver haunt ) in recent years.
    Here is the ShRFB on the co-op permit:
    Other Fees: A Share Certificate payable to the North Shannon Development Co-Operative Society is required to fish the Upper Shannon and tributaries located upstream of Banagher Bridge on the Shannon in Co Offaly. Please contact the Co -Operative Society for up to date information on applicable rates and distributors as the Shannon Regional Fisheries Board do not issue or administer Share Certificates. Contact Mr Martin Mc Enroe Athlone Telephone Number: 090 6494800

Advertisement