Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Carriageways and Galway City Drivers...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Back to the OP.

I saw my best/worst example tonight. Car pulls out of Tom Hogans, straight into right hand lane..in front of an ambulance!
    Ambulance flashes lights, car just stays in the lane..not a care in the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Cole wrote: »
    Back to the OP.

I saw my best/worst example tonight. Car pulls out of Tom Hogans, straight into right hand lane..in front of an ambulance!
    Ambulance flashes lights, car just stays in the lane..not a care in the world!

Obviously that's just stupid.

I'll use my better judgement whilst i'm driving and if I don't feel safe zipping back and fort from the left lane if there is a gap of 100m between cars in the left lane then I won't do it.

Slightly o/t is it legal to undertake cars on a dual carraigeway / motorway in other countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ronanom wrote: »
    Obviously that's just stupid.

I'll use my better judgement whilst i'm driving and if I don't feel safe zipping back and fort from the left lane if there is a gap of 100m between cars in the left lane then I won't do it.

Slightly o/t is it legal to undertake cars on a dual carraigeway / motorway in other countries?

100m? :eek:
    You'd rather hog the right hand lane and hold up other people than get back in the proper fucking lane cos there's only a gap of 100m?

You're one of those drivers this whole thread is about...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

galah wrote: »
    also, headlights actually do have a function, and should be checked regularly.

But one is eneough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Zzippy wrote: »
    You'd rather hog the right hand lane and hold up other people than get back in the proper fucking lane cos there's only a gap of 100m?

I can't stand right hand lane hoggers but in all fairness 100m is insignificant when your doing 100kpm, if it is then your very, very impatient.Come to think of it overtaking safely would swallow up a lot of those 100 metres at 100kph speed.
    If he uses the right lane and longer than needed to safely overtake then he is a cnut driver plain and simple.

ooops i may have misread the quote, still trying to figure out what he is saying.

• Advertisement

padi89 wrote: »
    I can't stand right hand lane hoggers but in all fairness 100m is insignificant when your doing 100kpm, if it is then your very, very impatient.Come to think of it overtaking safely would swallow up a lot of those 100 metres at 100kph speed.
    If he uses the right lane and longer than needed to safely overtake then he is a cnut driver plain and simple.

ooops i may have misread the quote, still trying to figure out what he is saying.

Basically I'm not gonna put significantly more risk of an accident happening to me by switching in and out between lanes when I know I'm just going to have to overtake again 100/200m down the road. A lot of people like to drive at 80kmph on a DC or MW and fair play to them. A lot of other people like to drive at the limit too.

As for "Hogging" the right lane - I'm doing no such thing. If there was a car flashing his lights behind me while I'm tipping along at 90kpmh in the right lane then yes THATS hogging.

Zzippy wrote: »

I'm doubting that you've a great feeling for the distance / speed ratio because if you did you'd know that 100m is not a lot when your travelling at 100km per hour and the car in the left lane might be doing quite a bit less than 80kmph. By your logic I should indicate straight back into the left lane after overtaking regardless of using my own brain and hope that I don't come close to rear-ending someone else in the process. Maybe I should get a device that can tell me what the car ahead of me is travelling at...then I could do the maths in my head to know wheather I should have enough space to safely pull back into the left lane whitout having to slam on the brakes and cause the car behind me to run into my arse....but hey, sure it's his fault - he hit me from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You suck as a driver!

Changing lanes does not "significantly increase the risk of an accident". You check your mirrors and blind spot, signal, and turn the steering wheel a little bit to the left, allowing plenty of space in front of you and behind you. Got that? Hogging the right lane to the point that you piss drivers off so much that they have to flash their lights at you to get you to move makes you a much bigger liability than simply changing lanes.

Admit it, you are just a lazy driver, making up rules to suit yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

As for "Hogging" the right lane - I'm doing no such thing. If there was a car flashing his lights behind me while I'm tipping along at 90kpmh in the right lane then yes THATS hogging.

I think you are completely missing the point here.If you use the right hand lane for anything else other than a safe overtake then you are definitely hogging no matter what speed you are doing.You should indicate and move back into the left hand lane as soon as it is possible to do so safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I usually drive at the limit or slightly above on most dual carraigeways so I'll usually stay in the right lane unless a car is coming up fast behind me in which case I'll pull in and let him overtake or if there is no other cars in sight ahead I'll also pull in.

Oh man, you obviously don't know the rules of the road.
    Did you get one of those 'free' licences back in the 70's :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

While we're venting frustrations, I must say I'm sick of being close to ran over most days while on the *footpath* -- some impatient people can't wait a few seconds for a car to turn off the main rain so they drive up on the footpath, just missing a tree every time, so they can move along, often getting far too close to me when I happen to be walking past (notes reg ;)).

JESUS lads...I'm just back from a trip to Dundrum Shopping Center there....and I must say - ye're dead right; the amount of right lane hoggers is UNREAL.

I was trying to get to a shop before it closed and while taking the excalator downstairs I was held up due to inconsiderate w4nkers and their kids blocking the whole excalator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

JESUS lads...I'm just back from a trip to Dundrum Shopping Center there....and I must say - ye're dead right; the amount of right lane hoggers is UNREAL.

I was trying to get to a shop before it closed and while taking the excalator downstairs I was held up due to inconsiderate w4nkers and their kids blocking the whole excalator.

So you're the gobsheen that was hogging the right lane on the Moate bypass. I knew it!!!!! :pac:

DeadSkin wrote: »
    So you're the gobsheen that was hogging the right lane on the Moate bypass. I knew it!!!!! :pac:

Na, haven't been on the new road yet but when I do I'll be sure to keep left guys. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cornbb wrote: »
    Agreed. It goes by "o'clock" positions rather than "1st, 2nd, subsequent". Assuming you are entering the roundabout at the 6 o'clock position, then you need to be in the left lane for any exits up to and including the 12 o'clock position. Take the right lane for any position thereafter.

Can you give us a reference for that?

The theory test preparation CD was pretty clear that it's based on the lane markings, or if they're not explicit the exit number: left for 1 and 2, right for 3+.

I'm not saying that this is the best thing to do, just that it's what the law requires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

People often ask me why I never indicate.

I tell them that because I myself know where I am going why should I bother to Indicate.

People should be watching out for me anyway.

Advertisement