Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping a dinghy from Britain

Options
  • 16-07-2008 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Is there anyone who provides this service?
    I have a dinghy I need to get to Dun Laoghaire. Any ideas on the most cost-effective method? I'm happy to walk on and walk off pulling the trailer rather than pay for car/trailer or van, which seems prohibitive. Or perhaps someone makes the trip regularly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I do my own runs now, but about 20 years ago I had a boat delivered to Holyhead on a trailer. Stena towed it on and off the ferry. I paid the VAT to Customs - which you had to do in those days - and towed it away. Not sure what the story is now days, but you could ask them. What type of dinghy - no Irish agent ?
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭harrier

SectionF wrote: »
    Any ideas on the most cost-effective method?
    Sail it over?

Seriously though... I collected a dinghy from the Midlands last Spring and it was a fun trip but it's expensive to make a round trip on the ferry this time of year. If you can wait until after the summer season it's a lot cheaper. But the tow-on, tow-off option could work well if you can get it delivered to the originating port. Norfolk Line were the best service when I travelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

harrier wrote: »
    Sail it over?

Seriously though... I collected a dinghy from the Midlands last Spring and it was a fun trip but it's expensive to make a round trip on the ferry this time of year. If you can wait until after the summer season it's a lot cheaper. But the tow-on, tow-off option could work well if you can get it delivered to the originating port. Norfolk Line were the best service when I travelled.
    €220 for unaccompanied trailer on Stena. Big problem is getting it to Holyhead. Huge costs for car + trailer make it unviable. It's a Mirror -- almost as small as you can get and not something I'd fancy taking across under sail. :D

Advertisement