Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Friel and "Three Sisters" at The Abbey

Options
  • 16-07-2008 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

What is with the neccessity to present this as faux-Oirish twee bullsh*t? The near constant exclamations of "Jesus, Mary and Joseph" and the like by our *Russian* protagonists was grating as hell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

Yeah, and a few of the accents drove me mad. I wonder why Friel bothered doing an adaptation. If the accents were so obviously Irish, why was it kept in a Russian setting ? I'm not familiar with the original, would be interested to hear from anyone on their views re. whether Friel enhanced it much, or gave it new impetus.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well it is an Irish version by an Irish playwright and he made it his own. I saw nothing wrong with them. It certainly didn't detract from my enjoyment of it. My own feeling on accents is that as long as the diction is good enough and lines are delivered to all of the audience it really makes no difference whatsoever.
    I once saw the Oresteia in Scots' Border English and it worked just as well even though it took me 15 minutes to fully tune in. :D

Advertisement