Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

looking to pass test in automatic

Options
  • 16-07-2008 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hey there,

I ve been driving a manual for 1 year. Then I left the country and my provisionnal license expired.

Now, I can t go out on my own and I want a full license desperately. I know I won t do great in a test as I am a fairly nervy driver. I would always be on the side of caution. However I ve never had accidents and I am extremely safe but I think testers are looking for confidence.

Which is why i was wondering if passing the test in an automatic is the easy way to get a license.? I don t really care if I can drive a manual as long as I can drive A car. Also when I will be abroad most of the cars are automatic anyway..

I ve met people who have disabillities who drive automatics in Ireland. The people I personaly know are an absolute danger on the road, have had loads of accidents and pull dangerous stunts on a regular basis and I really can t understand how they passed their automatic license.:confused: Which leads me to think, if they are that awful at driving, that even I have a chance....

Do they go easier on automatic tests? Are there less things to fail a person on? Or are they simply more sympathetic to disabled drivers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Do they go easier on automatic tests? Are there less things to fail a person on?
    No. If you can drive a manual, which, seeing that you've been driving a year, i presume you can, i would advise taking the manual test. The people you've met that drive automatics probably have just pick up bad habits after passing rather than being lunatics during the test.
    That said, if you really have difficulty with gears and feel more comfortable in an auto, by all means take the auto test, but it does restrict you to driving only auto cars.

EDIT:That "No" was refering to the "do they go easier" question, i suppose there is one less manoeuvre and no gears, so technically there are less things to be marked on. But from experience, these are generally not the most common things to fail on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I know somebody who has been driving about 15 years in an automatic, she decided to take the test because of the new regulations and failed her third one today.
    So no, definitely not easier. She's the only person I know who didn't pass first time in an SGS centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

hunnybunny wrote: »
    I want a full license desperately
    If you pass a test in a vehicle with automatic transmission, you may only apply for a restricted full licence (the licence will have '78' stamped on it to indicate this). If you wish to subsequently drive a manual vehicle, you will have to obtain a Learner Permit and be accompanied.

If you hold a restricted licence you may not act as an accompanied driver in an unrestricted vehicle.

AFAIK the only difference between an 'auto' test and a manual test is that the hillstart demonstration isn't a formal requirement (as 'autos' don't roll back).

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I'm sure if they're not focusing on your gear changing and clutch control they'll focus on something else to nit pick at.

Advertisement